Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 175244 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #945 on: July 24, 2022, 01:01:57 PM »
Low patch at the moment but arguably our best match winner.

Keep keep keep

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #946 on: July 24, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
I think he does the #29 justice and we need to keep him. Need to play him in the middle more. He’s a great forward but is elite at the centre bounces. Even if it means bulking him up and he loses a touch of speed. Bulking up Dangerfield didn’t hurt his game out in Adelaide and I think with a bit more size so he doesn’t get stretchered off after too many knocks he could easily surpass the likes of Rowell or even Walsh

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #947 on: July 24, 2022, 09:39:35 PM »
He is already a better player than Rowell as it stands. Rowell hasn’t been able to recapture the form of his first 3-4 games before his knee injury.

Walsh debatable depending on how your team plays and what they need.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #948 on: July 25, 2022, 01:03:06 AM »
Shai Bolton is on track to finish with the most goals in a season by a Richmond small forward since the mid-1990s.

The dual Tiger excitement machine currently has 33 goals (33.29) for the year, which is just two behind Nathan Brown and Sam Lloyd, who both kicked 35 goals in a season (Brown in 2008, Lloyd in 2016).

Previous to that, Chris Naish booted 42 goals in the 1995 season and 34 in 1996.

Also, in ’95, Nick Daffy won Richmond’s leading goalkicker award with 45 goals.

Overall, this season, Bolton is averaging 18.2 disposals, 9.7 contested possessions, 4.4 inside-50s, 3.8 clearances, 1.8 goals, 7.4 score involvements and 360.4 metres gained per match.

He is ranked fifth in the competition for score involvements and 10th for goal assists.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1180859/shai-s-scoring-spree

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #949 on: July 25, 2022, 07:17:49 AM »
Good for Shai.

Bad for the club that we haven't had a good small forward for 25-30 years.

Just a few blokes who can go at 1-1.5 goals/game but nobody serious bar N Brown and we all know what happened there still makes me sad.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #950 on: August 01, 2022, 03:35:19 AM »
BOLTON DOING BEST DUSTY IMPERSONATION

With Dustin Martin unavailable for the forseeable future due to injury and his long-term future under a cloud, Richmond fans should take solace in the player that has become Shai Bolton.

Even though he didn’t exactly bring his kicking boots on Sunday (he kicked 2.5!), he was still one of the most influential players on the ground. His dare and dash and his immaculate skills were on show for all to see and the Tigers’ faithful light up whenever he goes near the ball.

At just 23, he is the future at Richmond.

Source: The Age.

Bolton's stats vs Bris:

24 disposals (20k, 4h, 5c, 19u, 66.7% eff.)
7 marks (1 contested mark)
2 tackles
4 centre clearances
9 inside 50s
1 intercept
711 metres gained
12 score involvements
1 goal assist
2 goals
5 behinds
90% time on ground

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #951 on: August 01, 2022, 04:21:30 AM »
Significantly more damaging around the mid/half forward area. Burnt a lot of lions off

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #952 on: August 01, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »
Shai Bolton is on track to finish with the most goals in a season by a Richmond small forward since the mid-1990s.

The dual Tiger excitement machine currently has 33 goals (33.29) for the year, which is just two behind Nathan Brown and Sam Lloyd, who both kicked 35 goals in a season (Brown in 2008, Lloyd in 2016).

Previous to that, Chris Naish booted 42 goals in the 1995 season and 34 in 1996.

Also, in ’95, Nick Daffy won Richmond’s leading goalkicker award with 45 goals.

Overall, this season, Bolton is averaging 18.2 disposals, 9.7 contested possessions, 4.4 inside-50s, 3.8 clearances, 1.8 goals, 7.4 score involvements and 360.4 metres gained per match.

He is ranked fifth in the competition for score involvements and 10th for goal assists.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1180859/shai-s-scoring-spree
Matthew Rogers also led our goal kicking when Richo went down with injury in 2000 I think. Also had a couple of years where he was in the thirties I think.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #953 on: August 02, 2022, 02:04:14 AM »
"For me, he's probably the best player in the game right now."

Kane Cornes couldn't be more impressed with Shai Bolton's form.

#9FootyClassified

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1554084135328784384

Shai Bolton's stats:

Centrebounce Clearances    2.5      1st
Score Involvements            7.7      1st
Shots on Goal                    4.3      1st
Goals                                1.8      1st
Metres Gained                380.3      4th

He is Elite in all those categories.

ps. Bolton has had 69 shots on goal this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"He's now No.1": AFL greats laud Richmond superstar Shai Bolton (SEN)
« Reply #954 on: August 02, 2022, 04:16:07 PM »
“HE’S NOW NUMBER ONE”: AFL GREATS LAUD RICHMOND SUPERSTAR

By Seb Mottram
SEN
2 August 2022

Shai Bolton is enjoying a blistering season for Richmond and has been lauded by AFL greats after another game-winning performance.

Bolton was at his best on Sunday against Brisbane as the Tigers clawed back a 42-point deficit to triumph by seven points at the MCG.

The 23-year-old’s struggles with his goal kicking continued, booting two goals from seven shots, but he also had 24 disposals, 711 metres gained and game-highs in score involvements (12) and inside 50s (9).

Essendon great Tim Watson, who called the game for Channel Seven, was enamoured by the performance.

“Is he the most watchable player in the game right now?” he began on SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t like to make these big statements, but I don’t know of any player in the game right now that is more watchable than Shai Bolton.

“It’s just something I left the MCG with the impression of on Sunday, having watched him live – and I’ve watched him plenty of times on TV – oh my goodness me.

“He does stuff that no one else can do. It’s like he’s got springs in his legs… he’s an extraordinary talent.

“Score involvements, when you participate in a score as part of a chain… he is 45 per cent involvement (to disposals), the next best is Marcus Bontempelli at 36 per cent, then Chad Warner and Christian Petracca.”

Bolton averages 7.7 score involvements per game, sixth in the competition, and has 47 more score involvements across the season than any other Tiger.

Port Adelaide Hall of Famer Kane Cornes went one step further than Watson, describing the Richmond utility as “the best player in the game right now”.

“Shai Bolton is just extraordinary,” Cornes said on Nine’s Footy Classified.

“To watch him and what he’s doing… he’s playing this role more than uniquely since Dustin Martin has.

“I think he’s now number one, is there a better player in the competition than Shai Bolton for impact?

“Look at centre bounce, score involvements, he’s had 69 shots on goal for a small forward.

“What he’s doing, for me, he’s probably the best player in the game right now.”

Bolton earned six coaches’ votes for his Sunday performance and ranks as the second highest non-midfielder in the AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award behind James Sicily.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/811980/high-flying-pies-beating-the-best-your-club-s-record-against-the-current-top-eight

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #955 on: August 02, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »
Behind a paywall.

Shai and tell: Where Tigers stand with new Bolton deal

Shai Bolton is emerging as the most dynamic player in the game but what will the Tigers have to pay to keep him at Punt Road? And why is he so happy to sign a new deal?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-2022-all-the-latest-in-trades-free-agency-and-player-contracts/news-story/0c82f853f599b7b9b0c2927265c67006

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #956 on: August 02, 2022, 08:12:18 PM »
Behind a paywall.

Shai and tell: Where Tigers stand with new Bolton deal

Shai Bolton is emerging as the most dynamic player in the game but what will the Tigers have to pay to keep him at Punt Road? And why is he so happy to sign a new deal?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-2022-all-the-latest-in-trades-free-agency-and-player-contracts/news-story/0c82f853f599b7b9b0c2927265c67006
Here's the article bits about Bolton:

Shai Bolton is emerging as the most dynamic player in the game but what will the Tigers have to pay to keep him at Punt Road? And why is he so happy to sign a new deal? Jon Ralph

Richmond star Shai Bolton is prepared to sign a new contract in coming months that would see him sacrifice his future free agency rights and remain at Punt Road long-term.

But those talks might require the Tigers to hand over nearly a million dollars a season given his extraordinary potential and marketing power.

The brilliant 23-year-old is happy at Richmond and contracted through to the end of 2023 on a deal worth just over $600,000 a season.

Richmond has had early talks with his new manager Anthony Van Der Wielen after he moved across to his stable of former South Fremantle players including Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett and recently retired Tiger Matt Parker.

Van Der Wielen confirmed to the Herald Sun he was open to a new deal for Bolton but his immediate focus was a strong finish to a season where Tigers can still play finals.

The expected timeline for that new deal will be through summer when both parties can get a more accurate gauge of his worth.

“We are very comfortable where things lie at Richmond at the moment. He’s contracted until the end of 2023, Van Der Wielen said.

“I’m in regular contact with Blair Hartley. When Richmond and Shai feel it’s appropriate we will begin negotiations.

“I’m not sure exactly when that will be but it’s not what we are focused on right at this moment.”

The WA product could write his own cheque if he decided to return home but has been well supported by the Tigers and believes his potential is being maximised under Damien Hardwick.

Talks on Bolton’s deal will be picked up after those list and trade discussions but he is keen to be contracted again before next season starts – subject to a fair deal.

He would only be a free agent at the end of 2024 but a long-term deal would take him well past that date and deep into his 20s.

Senior Tigers advisor Neil Balme said Bolton was on the verge of becoming the “best player in the competition”.

Balme said should the 23-year-old find the consistency that is the mark of the truly great players he could be “hard to stop”.

“I say, to myself, if he actually played consistently, he’s nearly the best player in the comp,” Balme said on RSN.

“He does play reasonable consistently, but so much of it is that natural brilliance. Part of the challenge of being a greatplayer is doing it consistently and that’s still his test.

“Can you imagine if he did play at his absolute maximum all the time, he’d be hard to stop.”

Champion Data rates Bolton as the most impactful player in the AFL with 45 per cent of his disposals part of a scoring chain, streets ahead of Marcus Bontempelli.

He is the No. 1 ranked mid-forward for goals and score involvements.

In 2024 in what would be the first year of a new deal the Tigers will have Dustin Martin in the last year of his existing $1.3 million-a-season deal and Tom Lynch earning over $1 million as part of his back-ended deal.

But with Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt retired by then they could afford his salary in a year three players were on nearly seven figures or back-end the deal into later seasons.

The Tigers would be aware the longer they left his negotiations in the final season of his contract the more they might have to pay him.

Dustin Martin was keen to be re-contracted in 2016 but instead as talks dragged out he was eventually paid $1.3 million after signing on the verge of the finals in a year he won the Brownlow Medal, MVP, Norm Smith and Richmond best-and-fairest.

Bolton has kicked 35.34 this year as well as 13 complete misses but is a superb kick who will only improve his accuracy.

Richmond’s classy manner in which they handled Parker’s return home to WA — he and his partner have three children four years and under and he was not in senior selection contention — has only reinforced to Van Der Wielen that Bolton is in good hands.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #957 on: August 03, 2022, 03:54:43 PM »
HOW MUCH IS “NEEDLE-MOVING” TIGERS STAR WORTH?

By Alex Zaia
SEN
3 August 2022

Given Bolton’s match-winning talents and potential for further growth – how much is he worth?

SEN Breakfast co-hosts Garry Lyon and Tim Watson discussed the 23-year-old’s value.

Watson sung Bolton’s praises on Tuesday dubbing the midfielder-forward the most watchable player in the AFL right now.

Lyon: “How much is he (Bolton) worth?”

Watson: “He’s an $850,000 player. He’s around an $850,000 to $900,000 player.”

Lyon: “You’ll get away with $900,000, but I need some security – how many years?”

Watson: “He’s only young … you’re going to have to give him at least five (years).

“Do you agree with me that he’s the biggest needle-moving player in the game right now?

“Is there anyone out there more capable of shifting the momentum in a game than what he currently is because of what he can do?”

Lyon: “He’s right at the pointy end.”

Watson: “Because he does go into the centre bounce, and he can get the ball out of there too because of his agility, speed and anticipation.”

Lyon: “The only thing he hasn’t been able to add to his resume is he needs to do it in big, big finals, which is hopefully coming for him this year.

“Because (Christian) Petracca’s done it in big finals, Dusty’s (Dustin Martin) done it in big finals.

“Those blokes elevate themselves into a whole different category because they’ve gone into Grand Finals and ripped them to shreds.”

Watson: “There’s no suggestion that he’s going to leave Richmond. I think he’s very happy there. I think he’s very comfortable in the environment they’ve created for him.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/03/how-much-is-needle-moving-tigers-star-worth/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #958 on: August 03, 2022, 04:12:38 PM »
I don't think he's worth 900 for 5 years. 700 yes maybe even a but more

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #959 on: August 03, 2022, 04:24:24 PM »
He’s on 600ish now, think 800 on a long term contract forfeiting his free agency is a fair deal.