Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 125276 times)

Online sdc01

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
I can’t tell you why, but I don’t like this move of selecting Pickett.

I truely hope it plays out well, but it worries me.

That was my initial reaction when I heard about it too Slipper

Just thought this is a risk

Obviously rapt for the bloke but nervous too

I hope it works out but Sydney Stack deserved to play infront of all of Ross McIntosh and Pickett. This is Damien Hardwick trying to emulate Kevin Sheedy by creating stories and narratives.

Ok I am hearing you guys, the Sack Hardwick thread is officially on standby for a reboot at approx 5pmish this Sat

Stack struggled to run out the gf last week imo....if he was fit im sure he would have been in ahead of the others

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Watch his interview on tigers website cool as a cucumber.Start it basic for him pressure and tackle and he will find the footy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2019, 01:18:26 PM »
Straight through the middle from 50 at training.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1177374830653362176

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »
Barrett from his 'Sliding Doors' column stating the obvious.

IF ... Marlion Pickett gets 30 disposals in the Grand Final or if he gets none ...

THEN ... regardless, it is one of the all-time great football stories. Can't get enough of it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-27/sliding-doors-2019-grand-final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
'I'm a relaxed guy': Pickett will be undaunted in GF

Travis King
AFL Media
Sep 27, 2019

Marlion Pickett's former coach insists the Grand Final debutant won't be daunted by the big stage after his fairytale call-up for Richmond.

Pickett, 27, will become the first player in 67 years to debut in the season-decider against Greater Western Sydney – just days after the mid-season rookie draftee claimed the Norm Goss Medal as best afield in the VFL's showpiece game.

In just his sixth game for Richmond's seconds, Pickett collected 19 touches, laid nine tackles and booted a goal in the three-point nailbiter.

Now the ex-South Fremantle tough nut has been named for the biggest game of his life on the MCG in front of 100,000 spectators.

"The emotions are a bit of everything. When I was told I didn't believe it - I probably still can't believe it," Pickett said.

"I'm just looking forward for the weekend.

"I'm still pinching myself - I didn't think my debut would come around this early, but it has, and I will just take it with both hands.

"Wherever I do play, I will give it my all and leave everything out there."

Despite the enormity of what is happening, Pickett was taking it all in his stride.

"I'm a relaxed guy," he said.

"I was getting ready for a good pre-season, but then I got the call up.

"I'm still relaxed. A bit nervous, but it's alright."

"I'm just rapt, It's fantastic," South coach Todd Curley told AFL.com.au.

"Just so happy for Marlion and all the work that he's done. He's obviously worked really hard in the last four months and the Richmond footy club has been fantastic, so it's great for them and great for Marlion.

"I don't think (he will be daunted). He's a relaxed character.

"It's a Grand Final, but I don't think he'll be that fussed whether there's 100 or 100,000 (fans), he'll see the ball and get the ball.

"He's not your run-of-the-mill first-year player. He's played 100 WAFL games, he's played state footy, played some big VFL finals.

"Yeah, it's his first AFL game but I'll back him in. He won't let you down."

Pickett was flown to Gold Coast by the Suns last year and attracted interest from St Kilda before being overlooked in the drafts.

When a broken finger delayed his start to the WAFL season – and he then suffered a recurrence in his second game back only days before the mid-season draft – it appeared his AFL hopes were shattered.

"We spoke about it (missing out last year) but he was fiercely determined to get better, just knuckle down, train hard and just be the best player he could be at South," Curley recalled.

"He was obviously aware that with the mid-season draft there was still an opportunity if he got up and going early.

"Unfortunately he broke his finger, and the real doubts were probably when he broke his finger the second time.

"Thankfully, Richmond footy club were tremendously courageous to pick him.

"We've always been of the belief if we could get someone to be courageous enough to take him, once they saw him first-hand at clubland and had him within their system he'd really be able to show what he can do."

After starring across half-back, Pickett asked Curley to fill Tim Kelly's shoes in midfield last year once his teammate finally earned an AFL chance at Geelong.

It was a raging success, with Pickett claiming his second club champion award.

The devoted father's standout display came in the qualifying final win over West Perth when he kicked four goals from 26 touches.

After spending more than two years in jail as a teenager, Pickett has turned his life around and could complete one of the most incredible Grand Final stories if the Tigers clinch the flag this Saturday.

"He's a father of four, fiercely protective of his family and friends and teammates and footy club," said Curley, who will be in the crowd at the MCG.

"Once you support Marlion and you earn his trust he's a fantastic person and he's just a great man.

"He's really grown as a person.

"We're just so happy for him."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-27/pickett-will-be-undaunted-in-gf

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
You dont think Sydney deserved to play instead of this bloke?
I’m a massive fan of Sydney Stacks but it’s pretty simple to work out he isn’t 100%, not even close.

Sydney’s time will come but Pickett deserves his chance.

A brave selection by the club which in the past I reckon haven’t been that brave.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
He is going to play a role.

The role will be to apply pressure and tackle if he wins the ball we all know he can use the footy and he’s also pretty good at getting it if he needs to.

At the end of the day I think it was the right decision as MacIntosh nor Ross were banging the door down in the reserves.

Its a pity he had a hand injury and didn’t get to play before this big day because he would have.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2019, 03:53:21 PM »

Agreed.
Would have really been happy if they had picked Ross for the Graham spot..
More meat in the middle.

Mind you, I'm also happy for Marlion to be included as well, replacing Rioli.

Ross for Graham and Pickett for Rioli would have IMO been no risk at all.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

No chance Ramps

SS was average last week and had a limp in the VFL GF

It was Kmac v MP for me
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
He is going to play a role.

The role will be to apply pressure and tackle if he wins the ball we all know he can use the footy and he’s also pretty good at getting it if he needs to.

At the end of the day I think it was the right decision as MacIntosh nor Ross were banging the door down in the reserves.

Its a pity he had a hand injury and didn’t get to play before this big day because he would have.

I agree. He will be playing the role that Graham does-to apply as much pressure as possible and tackle. It appears he get the hard ball. Although the VFL does not have the same skill level or fitness level that the AFL has I think the physicality is the same. I hope this puts him in good stead.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »

No chance Ramps

SS was average last week and had a limp in the VFL GF

It was Kmac v MP for me

Then they should have gone with Kmac because at least he contributed to the senior side and had played some games.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
Was always between Pickett & Ross....was never McIntosh once Broad was declared fit... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »
Legendary coach slams 'dangerous' Pickett call

By Chris De Silva
wwos.NINE.com.au
27 September 2017

Legendary former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has slammed Richmond's decision to pick debutant Marlion Pickett in its Grand Final side to play the GWS Giants.

Pickett will become the first debutant to play in a Grand Final in 67 years after he was brought into the side in place of the injured Jack Graham.

However, Sheedy, who won three premierships as a player with Richmond, said the move could serve as motivation for the Giants.

"I wouldn't have played a first-gamer in this grand final," Sheedy told 6PR Breakfast.

"You're sorta nearly giving (the impression) we think we've got you covered, so we'll put a kid in.

"(It's) very dangerous."

Pickett's selection bombshell caps a meteoric rise for the midfielder who was playing in the WAFL with South Fremantle in May when the Tigers pounced with the 13th pick at the mid-season rookie draft.

The father of four pushed his claim on a shock debut when he won the Norm Goss Medal as the best player on the field in Richmond's VFL grand final win over Williamstown last week.

"In the end, it's simply he's the best-equipped for what we needed and it was a coach's decision," Tigers football boss Neil Balme said.

"There are a few blokes who are pretty stiff, but you can only pick one and again, it's all on the back of Jacky Graham being hurt."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/kevin-sheedy-questions-richmond-marlion-pickett-selection/4aaab3ed-b732-4a3b-b7fb-ba653a0b1bf9

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »

I hope it works out but Sydney Stack deserved to play infront of all of Ross McIntosh and Pickett. This is Damien Hardwick trying to emulate Kevin Sheedy by creating stories and narratives.

Ok I am hearing you guys, the Sack Hardwick thread is officially on standby for a reboot at approx 5pmish this Sat

:)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »
LISTEN HERE, MARLION

Luke Hodge
Herald-Sun
28 September 2019

IF I were in Trent Cotchin’s shoes as Richmond captain, the message to Grand Final debutant Marlion Pickett is pretty simple: “Just go out and play footy”.

The thing about Pickett is he is 27, not an 18-year-old.

He’s still going to be extremely nervous playing in front of 100,000 fans at the MCG — but there will probably be 30 other players on the field in the same boat.

I’d be saying, “Don’t overthink it, just go out there and enjoy it”.

The key is getting an early touch — and that’s on both him and his teammates helping get him into the game.

If you get to the 15-minute-mark of the first quarter and haven’t had a touch it’s a natural instinct to think, ‘Is one going to come my way or not?’.

That will start to build the nerves.

Source: Herald-Sun