Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 124792 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
Would’ve given him a 2 maximum. Poor performance and butchered the ball more than anyone.
We can’t have two blokes who turtle their heads and have short arms when standing under the ball in the same team.
Two of Cameron’s goals could’ve been avoided by a proper tackle Pickett both occasions electing to push or bump or failing to just tackle him.
Next to Chol’s game I rate Pickett as our second worst on the field for being ineffective and detrimental to our chance of winning.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #271 on: October 10, 2020, 05:13:08 AM »
Marlion Pickett

Pickett ran the wing for most of the game matched up on Bradley Hill, but had just nine touches. He might be one of the vulnerable players if Hardwick considers making a change for next week’s game against Port Adelaide .

Rating: 4

Source: Foxsports

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #272 on: October 10, 2020, 08:12:08 AM »
Marlion Pickett

Pickett ran the wing for most of the game matched up on Bradley Hill, but had just nine touches. He might be one of the vulnerable players if Hardwick considers making a change for next week’s game against Port Adelaide .

Laughable stuff- took Hill out of the game resulting in Hill being moved to HF as a last shot at getting into the game. Who writes this stuff :wallywink

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #273 on: October 10, 2020, 08:13:57 AM »
I don't think his tackling technique is great, (when he does elect to tackle) he goes too high.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
Just not doing enough for me and  doing some silly acts in process needs more impact.Maybe he can do a shutdown job on Port player.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:16 AM »
Marlion Pickett

Laughable stuff- took Hill out of the game resulting in Hill being moved to HF as a last shot at getting into the game. Who writes this stuff :wallywink

Pretty sure Hill took himself out of the game.

He’s had a poor year.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »
Yep Hill was mainly just crap all by himself and whatever job Pickett may or may not done on Hill was nullified by the rubbish he served up with the ball - even that bump should've been a tackle and only served to keep the ball alive fur St.Kilda and in the same passage he gave the ball back with an horrendous hack kick - was also lucky not to give away another 50 early on... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
if he did nullify Hill then its a pass.

if he didn't then i'm not sure how he plays next week.

It was by fluke that one of his half arsed one handed tackles in the third stopping a certain saints shot on goal paid off.

Otherwise these tackle attempts are rubbish

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2020, 11:54:04 PM »
Adam Cooney just said Marlion was huge in the last qtr.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2020, 12:01:24 AM »
He was and he bloody well needed to be... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2020, 04:58:02 AM »
Adam Cooney just said Marlion was huge in the last qtr.

100% he was involved in everything doing the dirty work to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:24 AM »
Marlion Pickett

Covered a stack of ground but when he had the ball he looked rushed and used it poorly. Lifted in the final quarter

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
Essentially started the game from the second quarter as his first was terrible. I thought he was solid and played an important role late in the game by contesting the down the line exit kicks to ensure Port didn't take marks. Plays next week for sure!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
Richmond cult hero Marlion Pickett has revealed he was talked out of leaving the Tigers hub just before the finals. Facing family heartache back home, Pickett was forced to make an agonising choice.

@TomBrowne7 #7AFL #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1318460519510994944

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The heartbreaking phone call that stopped flag hero from quitting before finals

Glenn Valencich
7Sport
20/10/2020

Marlion Pickett has revealed he almost left Richmond’s hub on the eve of the AFL finals - until a phone call from his father Thomas set him straight.

The 2019 premiership hero is managing some calf soreness ahead of the Tigers’ clash with Geelong on Saturday night at the Gabba.

But he’s expected to line up for what will be his second grand final in just his 20th AFL game.

It wasn’t that long ago that he was in serious doubt of finishing the season, struggling mentally after a death in the family while his dad’s battle with illness continued.

“It’s been hard. There were times when I felt like I wanted to head home to be with my dad,” Pickett told 7NEWS on Tuesday.

“Just being in hub life for a 100 days, I kind of got a bit depressed at the time.

“I was kind of wanting to head home but I didn’t really want to leave the club and let the club down.”

Thomas, battling lung disease, has been in and out of hospital this year and was due to check out on Tuesday.

He rings his son every day he can, calls that continue to ease Pickett’s mind alongside help from Richmond’s wellbeing manager Nadine Haidar.

“Before the finals started I was talking about booking my ticket,” Pickett said.

“Then I ended up ringing my dad, speaking to him, and he said ‘just stick it out, I’m ok’.

“Day before the first final I was on a Zoom call at the funeral making sure he’s alright.”

In the end, the pressure of the finals offered Pickett a distraction from overthinking his situation and allayed his concerns about being away from his family for at least another few weeks.

Despite plenty of consternation over his place in the side the 28-year-old managed to play 15 of 17 games in the home-and-away season, and all three finals to date.

But questions surrounding his week-to-week future were nothing compared to what he was dealing with off the field this year.

“I had to overcome adversity out of footy,” Pickett said.

“There’s a lot of people saying I was a one-hit wonder, stuff like that. But footy’s footy.

“You’re always going to have critics outside of footy, but it’s not what the critics think - it’s what your teammates and coaches think about you.”

Pickett will now get the chance to replicate the heroics that earned four votes in the Norm Smith Medal.

He hasn’t watched a replay of the 2019 grand final since the day after, but one of his sons will be thrilled if he pulls out another 360 spin away from traffic.

“(He) keeps playing that!” Pickett said.

“It was a good feeling to play, my family was there, surreal feeling and to play in my second one in 20 games is amazing.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/the-heartbreaking-phone-call-that-stopped-flag-hero-from-quitting-before-finals-c-1422665
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:40:06 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
Pickett a year after his dramatic debut

By Michael Gleeson
The Age
October 23, 2020 — 11.30am

Marlion Pickett enjoyed the celebrations in the rooms but the fuss and attention on him was a bit embarrassing.

In the euphoria of the most extraordinary debut in the history of the game, he celebrated with his new Richmond premiership teammates for a while then quietly excused himself.

He went home to hang out with his four kids.

If he went to mad Monday no one can recall it. His was a mild Monday. Again, he wanted to be with his partner, Jess and their kids.

Pickett doesn't drink. Not any more. He knows what is good for him and what isn't.

He came into the AFL as a mature-aged recruit, to Richmond with life experiences unlike anyone else in the game. He had spent two-and-a half years in jail, had four kids. He was not just an old recruit, he was by now a mature one.

You surely know that his first game of football was just over 12 months ago in the AFL grand final but it bears repeating. Imagine your first game being the biggest game of the year, in front of the biggest crowd. Right now it's hard to remember being at a game with a crowd.

The feel-good nature of this story demands that after that breakthrough moment life would open up and get easier. That after spinning with the ball on light dancer's feet, after kicking a goal on that grand final day, he would follow through on the promise he showed in that one game and become a top 20 player in the competition, with a wealth such that all life's troubles would melt away. It hasn't happened.

Still on rookie wages after his one game, he was ready to sign a new contract that would have given him the financial comfort he has chased along with his playing dream. Richmond had one there for him. Then COVID hit and contracts were frozen, player wages cut and everyone was thrown into turmoil and hardship. Pickett was one of the players quickly identified as an obvious case for hardship assistance when the sweeping wage cuts hit players.

Since that grand final debut, when he played in front of a full MCG, his next game was in front of an empty MCG. He has co-written a book, he's been the subject of an Australian Story documentary, he's gone into a hub and played a full season.

Having moved his young family from Perth to Melbourne to pursue his football dream, they went into lockdown for months in a small home in Melbourne then joined him in a hub in Queensland.

Meanwhile, home in WA, his dad was struggling with lung cancer and the pull on him to leave the hub and get back across the country to see him was becoming acute. He said recently he nearly left the hub - and with it any real hope of playing finals with Richmond – to get back to see his dad. His dad didn't want him to do that.

For people who work closely with him at Richmond, this spoke to the essence of Pickett. He wanted to be with his family. Football meant so much to him but he was putting someone else first.

When he was asked this year how he was coping with the hub and everything going on, he'd shrug and smile. "I'm all good," he said.

Pickett never comes to the club with a complaint, it's only ever a question. And it's never about him, it's always about one of the other players who now fall under his wing.

"Is Stacky [Sydney Stack] OK? What can we do?" he'd ask.

"I'm worried about Shai [Bolton]. I think we need to…"

They are used to the calls. If the other players have concerns it's Pickett who wants to fix it.

"That's been the environment, that's how he's been from the start, he always thinks of others," said assistant coach Xavier Clarke.

"It speaks to the person he is, he wants to make sure everyone else is OK. He calls me old fella but I am learning from him. I have a two-year-old now and I am learning from him about how he is with his kids."

This year has been an adjustment for everyone. From the outside, Pickett's football has looked inconsistent. Maybe it's the high bar he set in his first game, and the excitement it generated for how good he could be, that everything afterwards has felt like a slight letdown, but it hasn't been as consistently electric as that first game. Really, how could it be as exciting?

The difference is largely explained by the fact on grand final day he came in and played on the ball and half-forward. It was easier to fit into that role as a see-ball, get-ball midfielder and forward playing on instincts.

With Brandon Ellis going out he has taken a position on a wing, which at Richmond means learning and understanding a very specific way of playing the position to fit into a structure.

This year he has learned that role.

"You can't judge him on numbers. He offers us so much with his running power and grunt. He is very important to us," an insider said.

His background has made him ready to deal with the difficulties he has faced in the last year, from the grand final to the dislocation of the hubs and juggling the kids in a flat away from home.

"Nothing fazes him. He has been through so much in his life it's like football is easy," said one Richmond football insider.

It's a turn on the famous line from Keith Miller, the great Australian all-rounder and former World War Two fighter pilot, who put elite sport into perspective when he was asked once about pressure to perform.

"Pressure?" Miller asked. "There's no pressure in Test cricket. Real pressure is when you are flying a Mosquito with a Messerschmitt up your arse!"

For Pickett, there is no pressure in AFL. When you have been through what he has been through, footy is just a game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pickett-a-year-after-his-dramatic-debut-20201022-p567o8.html