Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 429786 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »
Conca on his first game in Tiger colours:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/333232/default.aspx

* A little different and a lot quicker to junior footy. Exciting playing in front of 50k. Was a bit overwhelming but fun. Rest of preseason games will help settle him into senior footy before round 1.

* Didn't find the ball as much as he would've like but thought he did okay for his first game.

* Just focussing on preseason. Closer to round 1 will look at it personally and as a team.

* With such a young side and most likely most of them not playing round 1, Dimma said to just forget about the scoreboard, stick to the gameplan and enjoy ourselves. Early on had energy and came out all guns blazing but tailed off.

* Done a lot of work on our tackling and defensive side of the game. Held our own regarding our tackling against two quality sides.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Conca keen for more (RFC)
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Conca keen for more
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Tue 15 Feb, 2011

Richmond’s first pick in the 2010 National Draft, Reece Conca, has taken plenty out of his debut for the Club, in last Saturday’s NAB Cup opening round, against Carlton and Collingwood at Etihad Stadium.

Although the Tigers bowed out of the competition, with two losses, Conca, like his senior coach Damien Hardwick, was unperturbed, and looking forward to the start of the season proper.

“It was a bit different, a lot quicker than junior footy, but a great experience,” he said.

“The whole build-up to the game, and getting out there, in front of 40,000 people, was a bit overwhelming, but it was good fun, and I think the experience will help me, come Round 1. But I’m sure Round 1 will just kick up to another gear again.

“I probably didn’t find the ball as much as I would have liked, but being the first game, I thought I did okay. There’s certainly room for improvement, though.”

Hardwick gave some salient advice to his young charges pre-game, telling them to ignore the scoreboard . . .

“Our aim going in was to enjoy ourselves, stick to the game plan, and just focus on that,” Conca said.

“We came up against two quality sides, who had stronger line-ups than what we did.

“We had a lot of energy early with such a young squad and we came out all guns blazing (against Carlton), but we tailed off towards the end of that second half . . .

“I think we played really well in that first half and, come Round 1, I think we’ll do quite well.

“We’ve done a lot of work on our tackling and defensive pressure, and our young guys showed a lot of energy and a lot of aggression.

“So, we’re happy with that . . . Collingwood were playing a fair few of their premiership side and I thought we held our own for a while against such a quality team.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/107839/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
This kid is a media pro already

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Conca set to debut (RFC)
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
Conca set to debut
richmondfc.com.au
By Mark Macgugan
Wed 23 Mar, 2011

RICHMOND draftee Reece Conca will make his AFL debut against Carlton on Thursday night.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick confirmed on Wednesday that Conca, recruits Bachar Houli and Shaun Grigg, and possibly two more first-year players would play their first games for the yellow and black in the season opener.

"We've still got to finalise selection, but it's a really positive step for our footy club that we've brought in three players that will definitely play, and possibly up to five," Hardwick said.

Hardwick said Conca, a midfielder drafted from WAFL club Perth at No.6 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, had done everything right since arriving at Punt Road.

"He's a very driven individual, Reece," Hardwick said.

"He's a great kid and he's a very, very good football player and one that we think will play a lot of football for us.

"He's got elite speed, elite agility, beautiful kick of the footy, and more importantly he's really competitive. So he's a guy we look forward to an enormous future with."

The Richmond coach said the experience of Houli, who crossed from Essendon in the off-season, and Grigg, who moved from Carlton, would provide an important boost.

"With our young list we needed to bring in some players that can help take the burden off some of our younger midfielders, so they'll make a great addition to our midfield this year," Hardwick said.

With up to three untried players set to run onto the MCG on Thursday night, Hardwick stressed that while winning was important, the club was still taking a long-term view.

"Every side's looking to win every game, and we're no different," he said.

"(But) my job as the coach of Richmond, where we are at the moment, is to get as many games into the core group of players that I think can take us forward.

"So if that's putting five guys into the thrust of a round-one encounter that's going to have 80,000 people there, then that's what we'll do.

"It's about a long-term focus for our footy club. If those kids can play and they've got the ability to play, they'll play."

Hardwick would not be drawn on which other players were in line for debuts ahead of final team selection on Wednesday night.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/109800/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
Haven't watched above link, will when get chance! Must say though was super impressed with this 1st gamer  :clapping

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
I like how the coaches and Dimma in particular really set Conca a role on the night - stop Garlett and provide run off half back. Must take away the guess work for a first gamer. Besides a few shanks I was impressed by his endevour and fight. Another great recruit for the club!

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
"In ten years time when we're all still at Richmond"  :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
Quality debut. Moves beautifully across the ground and early mistake aside has very clean skills.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
conca can really play.

Alot of people reckon FJ reached for Conca at 6, but he will prove to be a very astute selection

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
It will be interesting to monitor the recruits from Coca back to old mate at pick one to see how much tey impact in round one and over the year in comparison to Conca. I believe we have picked a gem here.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
Had a man crush on heppel predraft as
I thought he sounded like he'd slot in well. To see him in a essendon jumper is sickening. I wish him no luck in life. 

Conca looks a jet. Stoked how he looked vs Carlton.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
Quality debut. Moves beautifully across the ground and early mistake aside has very clean skills.

Totally agree
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
I'm still pinching myself this kid was still available at 6...dunno how we keep getting away with it :cheers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
I'm still pinching myself this kid was still available at 6...dunno how we keep getting away with it :cheers

lol ;D ;D ;D :cheers :cheers :cheers