Author Topic: Richmond chasing fitness guru Darren Burgess (Age)  (Read 9514 times)

dwaino

Re: Richmond chasing fitness guru Darren Burgess (Age)
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:06 AM »

I spoke to Matt Hornsby at training on Tuesday (wished him well for the future) and he was confident the Club would find someone very good to carry on what the Club's doing.   

Was that a token gesture from Hornsby or did he give you the impression that 'someone very good' meant he had an idea on who we were looking at?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »

I spoke to Matt Hornsby at training on Tuesday (wished him well for the future) and he was confident the Club would find someone very good to carry on what the Club's doing.   

Was that a token gesture from Hornsby or did he give you the impression that 'someone very good' meant he had an idea on who we were looking at?
I didn't take it that Matt knew who the Club were looking at dwaino. More like he was confident there were a number of good fitness gurus out there in gneral to pick from and the Club was capable of getting one of them. I didn't ask if he knew any names. Unless the Club asked for his advice about a suitable replacement(s) then he probably wouldn't have known anyway.     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
Ah ok. Cheers MT  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Port Adelaide and Richmond bid for Darren Burgess (Adelaide Advertiser)
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2012, 02:10:51 AM »
We've upped the ante and are offering Burgess $400k p.a. to come to Tigerland.

Port Adelaide and Richmond Tigers bid for coach Darren Burgess

Michelangelo Rucci
    September 02, 2012 11:30PM

PORT Adelaide is caught in a bidding war with Richmond for Liverpool fitness coach Darren Burgess.

And, in a change for the Power, which has struggled to lure coaches from outside SA, it may be the Adelaide lifestyle that brings Burgess back to Alberton rather than joining the growing "Port Adelaide reunion" at Tigerland.

As Richmond yesterday appointed Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams to senior coach Damien Hardwick's staff, the Tigers have sparked a stunning escalation in football department spending by offering Burgess a $400,000-a-season deal.

This has forced Adelaide out of the race, with the Crows arguing they are refusing to pay a fitness coach more than any of its football coaches. Adelaide must find a new fitness coach to replace Stephen Schwerdt who will join Gold Coast at the end of the season.

The Power's best offer so far to Burgess is $350,000. And its best hope of beating the Tigers in the auction is through Burgess' wife wanting to live in Adelaide.

Burgess, originally a Sydneysider, left Port at the end of 2007 to join the Socceroos. Richmond's offer not only hands Burgess more money than Port has on the table today, but also lets Burgess bring colleagues from the English Premier League club.

Port this week hopes to close the race for Burgess and out-of-contract midfielder Travis Boak to focus on the search for a new coach to replace Matthew Primus.

The prospect of a second coming at Alberton for Williams is now closed. He has quit Greater Western Sydney to return to Melbourne, where he will join former Power identities at Richmond - Hardwick, assistant coach Brendon Lade and recruiting manager Blair Hartley.

The irony of this twist is only three years ago Port had asked Hardwick to be Williams' understudy down at Alberton.

The Port reunion at Richmond may continue if Hartley persists with his mission to claim Power free-agent defender Troy Chaplin.

Hardwick last night hailed the arrival of Williams, who is to serve as a development coach. Of the Power gathering at Tigerland, Hardwick said: "Someone jokingly said we might change our yellow sash to teal. That won't be happening."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-and-richmond-tigers-bid-for-coach-darren-burgess/story-e6freco3-1226463523585

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:35 AM »
Looks like my call about not upping the ante just to get a target may be been a bit premature.

Surely there other options about without getting into a bidding war for someone who it seems has a prefernce to move to adelaide?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
Looks like my call about not upping the ante just to get a target may be been a bit premature.

Surely there other options about without getting into a bidding war for someone who it seems has a prefernce to move to adelaide?

Does he really want to go Adelaide or was that just a media dot-joining exercise?  Remember, this article is written by Adelaide's answer to Rat Boy, a man who believes the world is flat and ends at the borders of his silly State.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
Yeah may have gone a little early here, although my frustration was more with his wife dictating where he goes.  :shh

gerkin greg

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
Not really a bidding war if you just drop a big bomb on them that they cant match

Get it done. Tiges  :clapping

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
Not really a bidding war if you just drop a big bomb on them that they cant match

Get it done. Tiges  :clapping

That's the spirit big fella.  :clapping

If we lose a bidding war to Power I'm going to wait until New Zealand get a team and barrack for them. How the stuff are they going to pay 350k for a fitness guy?

gerkin greg

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
half of it is in balfours sausage rolls and farmers union iced coffee

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

:gobdrop if his wife is anything like Boomer's then we are no hope.  >:(

400k a year. I hope this guy is a gun. I love the bit how he can bring his mates to Tigerland. Good way of sealing the deal.  :clapping

10 FLAGS

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
Relton Roberts sent in his application on the back of a pizza box. Craig Cameron was impressed there was a slice of ham and pineapple inside.

Maybe if he'd sent in a Peri Peri Chicken calzone it would have put him over the top and gotten him the job  ;D

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
50k extra or keep wife happy.

Wife wins.

twit.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
Don't underestimate the power of Rundle Mall's Balls

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

Don't forget the Pie floater entree and Frog Cake desert........