Author Topic: After Round 2 - the 6 Burning issues  (Read 2420 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
After Round 2 - the 6 Burning issues
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »
Another week, another loss and although disappointed it was pretty much what I was expecting

However, these are 6 burning issues for me after round 2

1. Can anyone explain to be rule that was once referred to as "Holding the Ball"? I know it used to involve something called "prior opportinity" but struth on the wing in the 1st qtr Jack R was 3 against one applied a fanatastic tackle against a Dog's player who tried to break the tackle and wasn't rewarded. Do we need to say RIP "Holding the Ball"

2. Stats are funny things because I notice that they are telling me that Daniel Jackson had around 74% efficiency rate for his disposals. What I'd like to know what was his efficiancy rate for kicks because sadly and disappointingly I cannot remember one kick hitting a target or going to advantage. IMHO the most disppointing of our senior blokes yesterday

3. Simmonds.... sadly it isn't working and I actually feel for Troy becuase he is busting his gut. But gee he looks slow. Is it time to bite the bullet and just play our baby ruckman? And BTW is Troy injured? He looked to be carrying an injury yesterday

4. Post - I thought yesterday showed why he hasn't been playing seniors during the pre-season. Just seems so far off in that he appears to be very slow to react. I thought (IIRC) in the 3rd when Morton had the ball on the HFF (GS Stand side) and kicked it long into the pocket and Postie just had to go to make a contest and that he just stood there and didn't move was a major worry. It resulted in an easy turnover. I know confidence is everything but when you are down on confidence the best thing you can do is apply the basics especially defensively as it gets you involed in the game. I just reckon Post (and I've said this before) really needs to work on the defensive side of his game because it will get him more involved and in some cases involced much earlier

5. Farmer & King - I was supper impressed with young Mitch pre-season but he is struggling at the moment ...time for a spell. I like Kingy as he is an old fashioned footballer but I cannot see the point of him being there.. can someone please explain it to me  ;D

6. the future... when you are getting thumped it's hard to find positives in wrackage but gee watching Dustin Martin yesterday makes sitting through yesterday a bloody good reason to stick with this team and keep going to the footy ...what a gem... 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

Re: After Round 2 - the 6 Burning issues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »
simmonds should retire and gourdis should be promoted immediately, contin should be promoted in r11. angus graham is expendable in the ruck (harsh) but thats the reality. Vickery should be played mainly forward with small stints in ruck around the ground. Agree on farmer needs a spell, back to coburg for a few weeks imho.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »
Another week, another loss and although disappointed it was pretty much what I was expecting

However, these are 6 burning issues for me after round 2

1. Can anyone explain to be rule that was once referred to as "Holding the Ball"? I know it used to involve something called "prior opportinity" but struth on the wing in the 1st qtr Jack R was 3 against one applied a fanatastic tackle against a Dog's player who tried to break the tackle and wasn't rewarded. Do we need to say RIP "Holding the Ball"

2. Stats are funny things because I notice that they are telling me that Daniel Jackson had around 74% efficiency rate for his disposals. What I'd like to know what was his efficiancy rate for kicks because sadly and disappointingly I cannot remember one kick hitting a target or going to advantage. IMHO the most disppointing of our senior blokes yesterday

3. Simmonds.... sadly it isn't working and I actually feel for Troy becuase he is busting his gut. But gee he looks slow. Is it time to bite the bullet and just play our baby ruckman? And BTW is Troy injured? He looked to be carrying an injury yesterday

4. Post - I thought yesterday showed why he hasn't been playing seniors during the pre-season. Just seems so far off in that he appears to be very slow to react. I thought (IIRC) in the 3rd when Morton had the ball on the HFF (GS Stand side) and kicked it long into the pocket and Postie just had to go to make a contest and that he just stood there and didn't move was a major worry. It resulted in an easy turnover. I know confidence is everything but when you are down on confidence the best thing you can do is apply the basics especially defensively as it gets you involed in the game. I just reckon Post (and I've said this before) really needs to work on the defensive side of his game because it will get him more involved and in some cases involced much earlier

5. Farmer & King - I was supper impressed with young Mitch pre-season but he is struggling at the moment ...time for a spell. I like Kingy as he is an old fashioned footballer but I cannot see the point of him being there.. can someone please explain it to me  ;D

6. the future... when you are getting thumped it's hard to find positives in wrackage but gee watching Dustin Martin yesterday makes sitting through yesterday a bloody good reason to stick with this team and keep going to the footy ...what a gem... 

TOTALLY AGREE.
Will add this.
You aint going to learn anything as a player with everyone pushed behind the ball.
We lose structure and teaches the kids nothing.
If you are going to teach young kids, we need to go one on one around the ground and have young players learn off opposition players.
As for Troy, sadly he is injured and is a liability
Saying that the  options aint good as seen Graham and Browne on Saturday and neither are up to it. Graham looks like tarzan and plays like Jane

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
Would love to know that too.  I assume kicks on the bounce to a target with an opponent on their hammer and hospital handpasses at hit the target count as efficient.  :chuck
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
simmonds should retire and gourdis should be promoted immediately
A rookie can't be promoted for a retirement. There would have to be a player go onto the Long Term Injury List for Gourdis to be promoted immediately.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

jackstar is back again

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Would love to know that too.  I assume kicks on the bounce to a target with an opponent on their hammer and hospital handpasses at hit the target count as efficient.  :chuck

Just watched the replay again, his kicks in the last quarter 2 of, missed targets by metres, His right foot through the corridor that Nason ran onto missed the target by 20 metres. :banghead

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
I think the charitable promotion of Polak is hurting the club also as I feel that Gourdis or Contin could have been promoted instead of Polly.

If Daniel Jackson was at 74% effectiveness did he have 5 kicks and 15 handballs for the game? Like most posters his kicking was deplorable and he missed his target by miles.
Would rather see him get back to a tagging role as ihis midefield role is just not working. Opposition clubs know his kicking is suspect and therefore don't reign him in as they know he won't be damaging by foot and more than likely turn the ball over.

Deledio needs to bust a gut more. I am sick of him getting 22 or so stats when our possession leader for the game gets about 25. Lids should be getting 30's every week. Time to lift.

My biggest concern is Tambling. The whole venture has been a failure. Trade him at seasons end and lets get something valuable for him whilst he has some value.

Simmo should retire early. Clearly he is struggling and we just should not play him just to protect the kids for a season. Start playing Browne and Vickery and lets see what that leads us.

As soon as Griffiths is match fit play him for the rest of the year. Lets give our new forward line the most amount to time to gel. Same applies for Astbury.

It's going to be another long cull at the end of the year we all know that. Next year could be another long season too lads. Suck it up and lets move forward. We won't see the results of this rebuild till around mid 2012 onwards. 48 games to go. Will give a minimum of 50 games into Dimma's tenure.

FNM

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
BTW is Troy injured? He looked to be carrying an injury yesterday
If he is, why are we playing him?
Don't they ever learN?  :nope :banghead

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
I don't think everything is as bad as some paint it on here. Simmonds would have been retired last year because he is not up to it but, sadly, he still remains our best ruck option at this stage particularly against the big monsters like last night. Around the ground he is useless but if we were to throw Vickery and Browne/Gus into the ruck duties we would not only still get beaten but could risk injury and perhaps even their development. Simmonds is absorbing most of the ruck duties because we have no other option  :help

Jacko was poor in disposal last night. Is he tagging at the moment or playing free?

Lids and Martin are poor defensively. I saw both players not chasing multiple times last night due to fatigue. Both need to ensure this is a focus and then you will get your 30 + possessions Tucker.

Tambling should be sent back to the HBF where he played well last year. He doesn't lead well enough and finds it hard to find space to present. He is often ignored too by the kicker. I think this move is damaging his confidence which for Bling is vital. Move him back where his strengths are better utilized.

Overall the umpiring in the first part of the game was deplorable. Ridiculous decisions including the Riewoldt tackle. Hard to explain or justify but I think we will be given the short end of the stick by umpires for quite some time yet.

Stripes  

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »
Deledio needs to bust a gut more. I am sick of him getting 22 or so stats when our possession leader for the game gets about 25. Lids should be getting 30's every week. Time to lift.

He is receiving too much opposition attention, as soon as Cotch and Martin consistently step up Lids will be more able to play his own game

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
from what l watch this morning the players bad skills cause thier own grief
dont matter who coaches them, its up to the players to get thier basic skills right
If they didnot make these basic skill errors the opposition would not get control of the ball & the smaller player could be used better
dropping basic marks is just not on & any league player should at least have good foot skills apart from some Ruckmen
So take away these basic skill errors from yesterdays game we would have been in the game

Also l'm very concerned about the bad umpiring decisions that seem to go against us every game year after year.
Also at the tribunal,  players from other clubs seem to get off but our players dont or get punished more severely

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
But the biggest burning issue is this.
Cousins knee..
 :shh

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
But the biggest burning issue is this.
Cousins knee..
 :shh

wouldnot be club suspension would it
might have to ask Sweet Caroline  ;D

Ox

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
I wondered what type of farmer,Farmer was - now i know.
A poo  farmer.

Absolutely poo himself when he realised Hall was behind him.
Reminded me of a submissive female pitt bull just before she gets the crapola  out of her.

Jake King - Fire him today - worst skills in the comp.

dELEDIO - While he was tagged his decision making when he broke them was deplorable.

We have no forward line,Ruck or True Deep backman.

Martin is a star.
Cotch is unfit.

Who else does this?
Every time we have the ball from a cold start kick off i suffer the anxiety of not expecting it to make it to one of our players.

Seriously,tragically sad.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:18:46 PM by one-eyed »

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »
from what l watch this morning the players bad skills cause thier own grief
dont matter who coaches them, its up to the players to get thier basic skills right
If they didnot make these basic skill errors the opposition would not get control of the ball & the smaller player could be used better
dropping basic marks is just not on & any league player should at least have good foot skills apart from some Ruckmen
So take away these basic skill errors from yesterdays game we would have been in the game

Also l'm very concerned about the bad umpiring decisions that seem to go against us every game year after year.

Also at the tribunal,  players from other clubs seem to get off but our players dont or get punished more severely

despite the fact that this has come from a celebrated "non member" this is spot on. Top post.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”