Author Topic: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft  (Read 15518 times)

the claw

Re: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
its been almost a day since the last selection. not being a man of patience do we put time limits on things here other wise the draft will be done and dusted and next yrs started  before we get finished.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
FFS tiga lift your game.   >:(

Rampstar

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
Clawmeister you can take Norfs next pick as well if you want   ;D I actually dont mind if you do, you can just pick one of your WA specials  :cheers

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Pick #25 - Brisbane - Darcy Hourigan - 191cm/92kg - KPF - South Adelaide

Darcy Hourigan is a big-bodied KPF who dominated the U18 Champs for SA as he was just too big and powerful for his opponent. Hourigan has also spent time in the past playing as a KPD and made his debut in the SANFL seniors as a 15yo which is pretty impressive. He is a really big kid and lacks a little height for a KPF role but so did Jack Darling apparently. Whilst he doesn't have Darling's athleticism or endurance he is stronger and better one-on-one for mine.

Strengths: Hourigan is a big unit for an 18 year old kid, so won't take the 3-4 years to bulk him up for AFL. He's very strong and powerful and knows how to use his strength in the contest. One of his biggest assets is his ability to use his body to guard the space and take the contested mark. Hourigan is also a booming left foot kick and can launch goals from well outside 50m. He comes from a basketball background so is very clean, rarely fumbles even at ground level, which is impressive for a kid his size. As a lead-up forward, he is very smart in his leading patterns and despite not being overly quick, he can create separation on his defender and with his big body it's almost impossible for the defender to get around and prevent the mark.

Weaknesses: Hourigan will divide opinion amongst the recruiting fraternity for a few reasons. Firstly his height as he's been listed as any of 190-192cm. Hasn't effected Darling at AFL level and I don't think it will effect Hourigan either. At 92kg already he's not exactly a ball of muscle and is carrying a lot of puppy fat and is also lacking a tank to play as a leading CHF type at the highest level. Therefore, he is going to need a big pre-season or 2 to get himself ready for the demands of AFL.

Why Brisbane? Impey was my best available but Hourigan is a better fit, with Brisbane being so desperate for a KPF they recruited McGuane. I think Hourigan is the last of 3 KPF's capable of kicking 40+ goals a year which is what Brisbane are crying out for. Sure a 60-70 goal a year Boyd would be better but that can't happen now.

the claw

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
Clawmeister you can take Norfs next pick as well if you want   ;D I actually dont mind if you do, you can just pick one of your WA specials  :cheers
na mate have a crack at it your doing well so far lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2013, 12:39:55 PM »
Ramps you have your go for North (pick 30) so we can keep this moving along and tiga can fill in his GWS pick later when he logs on  :).

Rampstar

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
after spending hundreds of hours pondering this pick, the rampstar after noticing that norfs traded out delaney and has firrito at about 47 years of age on its list selects

Darcy Gardiner from the Geelong Falcons.Darcy is 192cm and 84kgs and will eventually move in to replace the Firrito in the backline. I have no idea if hes any good but I dont give a poo coz he'll be playing for Norf and they wont be around in 5 years and if hes any good by then he'll come to Richmond anyway.  ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
CAMERON MCCARTHY

Height: 195cm
Weight: 89kg
Team/Club: WA/South Fremantle
Position: Half Forward
Player Comparison: Justin Westhoff
Draft Range: 20-40

Cameron McCarthy is an interesting story. Only relatively new to football, McCarthy starting taking footy seriously this year and in that period announced himself as a serious natural talent, who’s marking capabilities, vertical leap, athleticism, nous below his knees and an incredible sound set shot and deadly kick for goal were traits associated with all the makings of an AFL star. McCarthy came from the clouds to impress on the big stage, and in doing so kicked that famous winning goal after the final siren, and the week later unfortunately fractured his leg just below his knee and dislocated his ankle, after landing awkwardly in a marking contest. However, the injury will not do his draft chances much harm, with an impressive championships already under his belt, strong performances as Colts level in WA, All Australian slection and to top it off, will also be ready and fit for the draft combine in November. McCarthy stands out on field, and that’s not because of his long mop of hair that requires a headband, he demands the ball, he’s got some pace off the mark, he brings others into the game, and can be relied upon to kick multiple goals. He’s a beautiful size for the modern day game, and brings with him a bit of x-factor and a little bit of excitement in his game. McCarthy’s pressure football  is also a big tick in the recruiting handbook; he runs, chases and harasses the opposition, another trait rare for big blokes, but he does it with ease, and puts pressure on the ball carrier which was very impressive to watch.

“When he was injured and lying on the table after the game, he was asking when he would be able to get back and play football. That’s testament to the boy he is. He’s really blossomed in the WA program and we’re really pleased with the way he’s progressed.”

- Raff Guadagnino, Western Australia’s talent manager.

Strengths

Huge amount of natural ability, contested marking, brilliant in the air, very good above his head and below his knees, sound kicking technique on goal, brilliant mark, rarely misses from a set shot, super athletic and has the ability to dominate games. Showed ability to be calm under pressure when he kicked for goal after the siren to hand WA the win against Vic County. Composed, and knows his strengths, will fly at anything, can pick the ball off the ground and snap over his shoulder, adds x-factor to a forward line.

Weaknesses

Still very much an unknown prospect is McCarthy. He only started taking his football seriously this year, and his natural ability and athetlicism is a fantastic base considering he’s never done a full preseason or any weight training. Still needs to learn his running patterns and leading in the forward 50, but considering he’s got a huge leap, great hands, is clean at ground level and knows how to finish on goal there is a huge amount of upside, and a prospect who could dominate the league in a few years time.

National Championships Stats

Round 2 – 16 disposals, 8 marks and 2 goals.
Round 4 - 12 disposals 3 marks and goals
Averaged 2.4 goals and 5 marks a game in the National Championships
Honours

All Australian 2013

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-cameron-mccarthy/

Lol , looks like straight off the set of the  Partridge family :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2013, 03:43:41 AM »
Update:

1. Greater Western Sydney - Tom Boyd
2. Greater Western Sydney - James Aish
3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly
4. Western Bulldogs - Christian Salem
5. Gold Coast - Matthew Scharenberg
6. Collingwood - Jack Billings
7. Brisbane - Dom Sheed
8. North Melbourne - Luke McDonald (F/S)
9. Melbourne - Marcus Bontempelli
10. Collingwood - Kade Kolodnashnij
11. West Coast - Dayle Garlett
12. Richmond - Nathan Freeman
13. Carlton - Cameron McCarthy
14. Greater Western Sydney - Ben Lennon
15. Sydney - Lewis Taylor
16. Geelong - Billy Hartung
17. Fremantle - Jonathon Marsh
18. St Kilda - Blake Acres
19. St Kilda - Luke Dunstan
20. Gold Coast - Eli Templeton
21. Port Adelaide - Trent Dumont
22. Brisbane - Zac Jones
23. Adelaide - Tom Cutler
24. Hawthorn - Matt Crouch
25. Brisbane - Darcy Hourigan
26. Essendon  - Zach Merrett
27. Gold Coast - Jarman Impey
28. Brisbane - George Hewett
29. Greater Western Sydney - tiga
30. North Melbourne - Darcy Gardiner

Next up:
31. West Coast - Bentleigh
32. Sydney - Smokey
33. Brisbane - tigs2011
34. Brisbane - tigs2011
35. Sydney - Smokey

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
 Wcr confidence about the midfield unit has increased dramiti adding Cripps and garlett to a group already containing the like of shuey masten and nicnat

Patrick Cripps
Height: 192cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 18/03/1995
Club: East Fremantle (WA)

Strengths
Inside Game – Patrick is one of the best inside players in the draft and probably ranks second behind Crouch for mine as far as pure clearance winners are concerned. His hands in close are exceptional, he is very clean, he reads the ball well and makes excellent quick decisions. He also has the strength and size at 188cm to stand up in tackles, absorb hits and lay tackles. I think he has the capabilities to be an above average clearance player and part of a strong midfield group going forward.
Strength/power – Cripps looks to be pretty strong already, he is a very good size for an inside mid at 192cm and 90kg and seems to have a fair bit of power. He appears be quite quick off the mark and has a good initial burst (not elite but more power in that he can break tackles). I think he will develop into a powerful inside mid along the lines of David Mundy.
Decision Making/footy smarts – Cripps makes good decisions with ball in hand and has an excellent footy brain imo. He will be the type of player who makes those around him look better as he is excellent at giving the ball to those in better positions than himself in stoppages and makes quick decisions under pressure. He is also getting better at spreading from the contests and his outside game has shown some real improvement throughout the year. He is a natural ball winner and just accumulates possessions with ease.
Marking – Cripps looks to have the potential to develop his marking and is quite a strong mark overhead. He is strong through the core and has very clean hands so this could be a strength in the future, although at the moment he needs to use it more in contests especially now he has grown to 192cm.
Clean Hands – Cripps has very clean hands and rarely fumbles the footy, he is great at finding the ball and keeping his feet in contests.

Weaknesses/Areas of Improvement
Cripps has a kick to handball ratio of roughly 1:1, this limits his hurt factor a bit. Additionally a lot of his clearances are done with handballs not breaking away and kicking the pill forward, although towards the end of the year he was doing this a lot more and taking the game on. He is still reasonably damaging though as he tends to handball to players who are in space and able to make a good decision.
Kicking – Cripps is a slightly above average kick of the footy imo, although certainly not an elite kick by any stretch. He seems to have a good technique and he has definitely improved this year, but he does tend to float the ball a little to much imo, and bombs it to contests instead of hitting up the short option. There is definitely room for improvement but he does hit most of his targets.
Athleticism – Cripps is not a super athlete, but he is not a poor athlete either, probably just your average AFL athlete. He won’t burst out of packs or side step players with ease but that isn’t his game. Endurance wise though I think he needs to improve, he registered a 13.2 Beep test which needs improvement before he plays regular AFL footy.
Outside Game – Once again this area has really improved throughout the year but I still think that it is not a true strength of his and there is still some improvement left. Cripps spreads reasonably well from the contest and works hard but he is not super damaging with his outside play given that he doesn’t run with the ball much and he doesn't have elite disposal
Versatility – At this stage Cripps doesn’t have much versatility and only really plays as an inside player to a high standard. He could do with really developing his outside game and in particular his forward play as he has shown an ability to push forward and kick goals at Colts level. This would take his game to the next level.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-2013-bigfooty-phantom-draft.1039811/page-7#post-30863959
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:23:32 PM by Judge Roughneck »

the claw

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
jeezus h Geez i dont have the patience for this . you would think people could log on at least  once a day  and do the right thing. 2 selections in two days sort of says im gunna be out of here i dont like being peeed around. a bit of common courtesy is all thats required here.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
jeezus h Geez i dont have the patience for this . you would think people could log on at least  once a day  and do the right thing. 2 selections in two days sort of says im gunna be out of here i dont like being peeed around. a bit of common courtesy is all thats required here.

I agree, it's not as if any of us have lives or anything.

:lol

the claw

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »

I agree, it's not as if any of us have lives or anything.

:lol
hey 65 theres an old saying;;;;; a quick game is a good game. by the way why 1965????

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Fudge. I wanted Cripps with my next pick :(

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
Yeah who's laughing now

Get some Perth steroids into him and unleash the beast