Author Topic: Nick Vlastuin [merged]  (Read 231645 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Nick Vlastuin [merged]
« Reply #945 on: October 03, 2020, 03:33:51 AM »
Nick Vlastuin

Rarely wasted a possession. Just the one mark and one tackle though. The backline didn’t have its best night and Vlastuin was part of that group.

Rating: 6

Source: Foxsports

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #946 on: October 10, 2020, 05:03:45 AM »
Nick Vlastuin

Went without a mark for majority of the game before grabbing one late, but the tough Tiger laid six tackles and fought hard in defensive 50. He did appear to miss out on spoiling a Saints goal, but luckily for Tigers fans it was judged as a behind.

Rating: 6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2020, 06:12:19 AM »
Nick Vlastuin

Very clean with the footy with his 11 disposals, which was tough for most on a torrid old night. Nine of those 11 touches were intercept possessions. Impressively clean performance.

Rating: 7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nick Vlastuin moved from choppy waters to the next wave (Age)
« Reply #948 on: October 22, 2020, 04:47:44 AM »
Nick Vlastuin moved from choppy waters to the next wave

By Peter Ryan
The Age
October 22, 2020

Three times a week when the swell was up, he packed his borrowed board and headed out with teammate Hugo Ralphsmith to search for lefts along the coast.

When it wasn't pumping, the red-headed goofy footer with a complexion more suited to shade than the sun grabbed the Mick Fanning soft top he bought and mucked around in the slush.

"Just to have that escape where you are alone and you do enjoy doing it, yeah, it's been really fun and the water is a lot warmer up here the middle of winter. Down in Torquay is pretty cold," Vlastuin said.

Most of the time the Tigers' pair made the 30-minute drive from Carrara to Burleigh Heads. But a trip one day to South Stradbroke paid dividends when they bumped into professional surfer and Richmond fan Nikki van Dijk on the water, while she was competing in a tournament.

"You paddle up where the rip is against the rock wall. We were sitting there so she said 'g'day' and then went down and did her heat," Vlastuin said.

"It was pretty big there."

Vlastuin had met van Dijk at Bells Beach before but the chance meeting with her on Queensland waters, midway through the footy season, summed up how strange 2020 had become.

His own description of the season could characterise his football.

"It's been fun [but] it's been hard at the same time," Vlastuin said.

The 26-year-old, who kept a low profile in his first 150 games, has paddled through a few monster sets this year, including the Mabior Chol groping incident, the staging furore and even a little online spat about whether he touched a shot at goal after the Tigers' semi-final win over St Kilda.

And he's come through the other side, into his third grand final in four years after a season in which many good judges thought he was unlucky to miss out on All-Australian selection, juggling a stone as he bounces on his feet and talks from Richmond's hub.

Vlastuin did not want to say much about the Chol controversy, having admitted when he apologised at the time to being embarrassed. He would prefer to move on and put it behind him.

His main concern was for Chol and although the reaction of those outside the club unnerved him slightly the process-driven grandson of a Dutch prisoner-of-war worked his way through the issue.

"People are always going to have their opinions. You can't call everyone out, you can't keep everyone happy. At the same time, it's just [important to] value the people around you I suppose," Vlastuin said.

"I had more cameras on me after that than ever before. Things that weren't even a big deal, all of a sudden they were blown up."

He called people out on Twitter after the goal review question a few weeks ago but for the most part he has avoided social media and he's been more likely to watch The Bachelor than the news while in the Sunshine State.

Being out on the water helped Vlastuin, who likes to spend time on the surf coast at places such as Craypots and Back Addis and Winki – if it's not too crowded – gain perspective on whatever was bubbling away.

"Even just being off your phone for that long ... you're so connected these days and you can't bring your phone out in the water," Vlastuin said.

"I really, really enjoy footy when I am here but I also enjoy being able to do other stuff."

That other stuff includes building a house in Torquay where his girlfriend Georgia, who grew up on the surf coast, has remained while he has been away. That his grand final opponent is Geelong has him slightly worried about that project now.

"I have a couple of tradies working on my house who are all Cats fans so I'm trying to get them to finish before the weekend," Vlastuin joked.

The weekend looms now and Vlastuin is ready after the club's heroic win over Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

At times he's felt uncomfortable rather than the unflappable Tiger who his mum has called "Tigger" since he turned four.

But no longer. Now he is ready, the distractions behind him, the lessons learned, and the challenge obvious: beat Geelong to become premiers.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nick-vlastuin-moved-from-choppy-waters-to-the-next-wave-20201021-p5671l.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #949 on: October 25, 2020, 06:20:08 AM »
Nick Vlastuin – 1
An absolute nightmare two days for Vlastuin, with one of his properties the subject of an arson attack, and then knocked out cold in the opening three minutes of the match. Collided with the arm of Patrick Dangerfield – who had completed a spoil milliseconds prior – and was stretchered off.

Source: AFL website

Nick Vlastuin
Vlastuin played just a few minutes of the final after being knocked out by an accidental Patrick Dangerfield elbow. The crucial defender laid two early tackles, but was taken from the ground on a stretcher in a sickening incident.

Rating: 4

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #950 on: October 25, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »
2 tackles in 3min, then went back with the flight.

A good 3min

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Vlastuin overcomes fire drama, concussion to celebrate with Tigers (Age)
« Reply #951 on: October 26, 2020, 04:29:21 AM »
Vlastuin overcomes fire drama, concussion to celebrate with Tigers

Peter Ryan
The Age
October 26, 2020

The past four days didn't contain the most pleasant experiences of Nick Vlastuin's life but a premiership medal around his neck was enough to push what he endured to the back of his mind as he celebrated his third flag in four seasons on Sunday.

On Friday morning, the 26-year-old woke to the news that someone had tried to burn down a townhouse he has been building in Torquay, with a police investigation underway to find out who set fire to the place.

Luckily the damage, while significant enough, was limited to the doorway of the house and no one was injured but it was hardly the news a player wants when far from home the day before playing in a grand final.

He only shared the information with the media department and a few teammates so as not to upset anyone else's preparation but the incident occupied his mind throughout the day as others kept him up to speed with what had occurred while they dealt with the matter back in Victoria.

"That is pretty much all I thought about on Friday," Vlastuin said.

"I did some work with the psychologist Emma Murray [and] kinda put it to bed Friday night and then woke up Saturday feeling pretty fresh.

"I hadn't thought about the game very much and maybe it was a good thing in the end."

In the end all the preparation didn't amount to much when Vlastuin bore the brunt of Patrick Dangerfield's forearm as he courageously tracked a loose ball into oncoming traffic and was knocked out cold just six minutes into the grand final.

The defender, who was unlucky not to be All-Australian in 2020, did not know who the Tigers were playing or what month it was when he returned to the bench having only become lucid when he was receiving stitches in the rooms and was immediately ruled out of the game.

Skipper Trent Cotchin said Vlastuin's effort to get back on the bench was phenomenal and it was from there that the defender watched his teammates win.

Rather than feeling disappointed at missing being part of the action, he was proud of the effort given they were one man down and their backline was slightly disorganised for a period afterwards.

"I was just rapt the boys got it done for me to be honest," Vlastuin said.

"If we had lost by a point or something and I had been sitting on the bench the whole game I would be that flat."

He bore no ill-will towards Dangerfield and although he could not remember being stretchered off he had enough memory after he returned to the bench to discuss the game with teammates.

On the night he just found himself a role and performed it as well as he could.

"Afterwards I remembered a fair bit. I was trying to stay up and about on the bench and trying to get around the guys and remind them what their strengths were when they came off," Vlastuin said.

Now he is a three-time premiership defender and a key element of the drama of the 2020 grand final.

"It's pretty cool [but it] hasn't really sunk in. This one has been one of the toughest easily for myself, for the club, for my family so it is just good reward," Vlastuin said.

He is looking forward to being back with his girlfriend Georgia in Torquay to reflect on a year that taught him so much, despite ending abruptly on the football field, and deal with the damage done to his townhouse.

Cotchin said his attitude after the match was exemplary, with the customary smile and upbeat attitude on display.

"He's a bit worse for wear ... if he was [disappointed] he hasn't shown it. It shows the incredible person he is. He is just savouring the moment [as] premierships aren't just won on the day," Cotchin said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/vlastuin-overcomes-fire-drama-concussion-to-celebrate-with-tigers-20201025-p568f7.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
MRO clears Dangerfield over Vlastuin hit (afl site)
« Reply #952 on: October 26, 2020, 04:35:54 AM »
From the MRO:

The incident between Geelong Cats' Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Nick Vlastuin from the first quarter of Saturday's game between Richmond and the Geelong Cats was assessed. The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions. Dangerfield punches the ball and in the process makes high contact to Vlastuin. It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/522741/match-review-superstar-cat-cleared-over-vlastuin-hit

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: MRO clears Dangerfield over Vlastuin hit (afl site)
« Reply #953 on: October 26, 2020, 06:59:02 AM »
From the MRO:

The incident between Geelong Cats' Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Nick Vlastuin from the first quarter of Saturday's game between Richmond and the Geelong Cats was assessed. The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions. Dangerfield punches the ball and in the process makes high contact to Vlastuin. It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/522741/match-review-superstar-cat-cleared-over-vlastuin-hit

:rollin

What surprise.....NOT

Guarantee if it was any other player in the comp they would have been cited

Yes he punched the ball but the he braced for contact leading with his elbow out and made contact with a blokes head

You know the head, supposedly sacrosanct.. in certain situations  :gobdrop

But whatever

We on the flag  :gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #954 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:05 AM »
Guarantee SHocking made sure he got off. They either had to give him 8wks (double penalty in GF) or let him off. It’s BS but that’s the AFL way under the dopey Geesook guy that now runs this area.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #955 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
Surely you can’t give a 1 to someone who gets knocked out 5 mins of play. At least an N/A. A 1 implies he stunk it up.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #956 on: October 26, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
Surely you can’t give a 1 to someone who gets knocked out 5 mins of play. At least an N/A. A 1 implies he stunk it up.

Well he did beat two players in the rankings

42. Nick Vlastuin (RIC)

43. Jake Kolodjashnij (GEE)

44. Tom Lynch (RIC)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #957 on: October 27, 2020, 07:54:00 AM »

2 tackles in the first 3min.

If you extrapolate that for a full game then he was on track for about 68 for the match.

Couple that with fearlessly going back with the flight...

Gets 10/10 from me!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »
I have had countless arguments with this decision not to suspend Danger.

When did it become OK to hurt someone when either bracing for contact or playing the ball. Isn't that why reckless and duty of care a word used?

Under this theory you can roundhouse a ball in a pack or a full blown mule kick and any collateral damage is 'playing the ball'.

Side from that, Danger wasn't bracing for contact there was two actions, his arm actually extended so there was evidence of force going the other way not 'bracing'. He knew exactly what he was doing. Nick stupidly went low but doesn't matter, it is as inconsistent to anything I've ever seen.

Punch the ball and then put your forearm or elbow into someones skull. All good, play on.

We won so I guess who cares, I'm just dirty that Nick's night was ruined by 'Mr deserves a premiership'.
Go Tigers!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #959 on: October 28, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
stuff Dangerfield in his hole the filthy dog.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:41:12 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.