Author Topic: Brendon Gale on Free Agency  (Read 1034 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brendon Gale on Free Agency
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
Heavy hitters: Brendon Gale
By Ben Broad  Fri 24 July, 2009

AFL PLAYERS' Association chief executive Brendon Gale discusses free agency, competitive balance, player salaries and the League's continued expansion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81298/default.aspx

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brendon Gale on Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
If 4 years  :o ends up being the cut-off for free agency then it'll be a farce. Why would clubs put their money and resources into drafting and developing youngsters only to lose them just as they start cementing a senior spot.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brendon Gale on Free Agency
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
If 4 years  :o ends up being the cut-off for free agency then it'll be a farce. Why would clubs put their money and resources into drafting and developing youngsters only to lose them just as they start cementing a senior spot.

All it will mean is players will get paid a market rate.  I really don't think many of them will leave, maybe they will, but that will help teams like richmond who are 9th buy a few good players and get to 8th.  I mean players that teams don't want to lose but aren't willing to pay for them, like Lake from the dogs.  As long as the salary cap is sacrosanct and is enforced rigorously I think it will benefit the evenness of the league.  Otherwise we'll go back to carlton vs collingwood and St Kilda will get the wooden spoon for the next 20 years.

If we find it doesn't benefit the evenness of the league then I'd be all for getting rid of it after a trial period.