Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558063 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #585 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »
Agree Ramps, ASADA/WADA have them in the gun and will barrel them  :clapping

That's great, but I wish they would hurry the eff up about it. The longer this drags on the more I fear it's all going to get swept under the carpet like the tanking affair. And before anybody says it, different body imposing the penalties, yeah I know. BUT WHY IS IT TAKING SO GODDAMN LONG??? :banghead

Nah happy for to drag on, wold love it to be concluded and penalties announced at the completion of either round 22 or 23 and they get stripped of points and not be able to play finals  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #586 on: June 08, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
What could be better than Essendank being stripped of points to drag them out of the finals?  0 points handing them another wooden spoon!    :rollin   :pray

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #587 on: June 08, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
WP and Smokey, can I ask you, what do you think the most likely penalties will be? What's your gut feeling? Will they strip them of premiership points and draft picks, lengthy suspensions for the players who injected, massive fines imposed, or a combination of all? And what about golden boy Hird, Bomber Thompson and the whole administration that sanctioned this? Surely they can't come out of this smelling like roses?
Basically my thoughts keep going back to Justin Charles who acted alone and independently from the club. If I remember correctly he served a 16 game suspension, came back and played a handful of games, but the shame and scandal pretty much finished him. Considering the whole Essendon organization were100% behind this program, I expect nothing less at the very least, and hopefully a whole lot more.   

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #588 on: June 08, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
RR, my paramount feeling is that they will cop a Meltank whack - a serious club fine with the reality of the crime swept under the carpet.  I base that opinion on the history Adolf and the AFL have for bullying the media and rewriting history.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #589 on: June 08, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »
RR, my gut feel is and has always been that players will be banned for a period of time. Probably not the standard 2 years but more likely 6-8 months. How many players and which ones is the one thing that I am intrigued about. Ive always held the view the plays will cop their whack via the ASADA/WADA code which the AFL is bound to follow.

Failure of the AFL to enforce the penalties as per ASADA/WADA guidelines leaves open the right of ASADA/WADA to appeal and then handout their own whacks which I have no doubt would be much harsher than what the AFL will handout. In other words the AFL must hand out penalties that appease ASADA/WADA they cannot afford not too

As for the EFC, I would think they will be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Again the AFL have to punish them but to what level that's the great unknown. You'd hope they do a Melb Storm type punishment but will the AFL have the courage to do that to one of the "big" clubs? Who knows?

Would think it will have alot to do with what the ASADA report says and also what the Ziggy report sections we haven't seen but the AFL has says.

For the integrity of the game they need to go hard but as I said it all comes back to courage and whether the AFL has any

Gigantor

« Reply #590 on: June 09, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
Although completely unrelated ,the AFL did dish out to Carlton over the salary cap issue

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #591 on: June 09, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »
Yep too right.

They won't cop a Melbourne type punishment, imagine the uproar. The dees escaped due largely to the threat of legal action IMO. No real evidence

My gut feel is they are screwed. Loss of picks, playing for o points as someone had suggested earlier,
Big fines. That's enough to  screw them up for years to come.

As much as I liked watching blues lose those 4 points are theirs fair and square. No team should be losing 4 points to a bunch of cheats.

Flogs like spike make me hate these club more than ever. Still with the fairy's he is, blaming everyone else except tird and coach Thompson. Who could forget his mocking of Reimers pre season.i hope his on sen one day as I will call him and ask him to explain his thinking behind such dilluisonal thinking.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #592 on: June 09, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
Agree Ramps, ASADA/WADA have them in the gun and will barrel them  :clapping

That's great, but I wish they would hurry the eff up about it. The longer this drags on the more I fear it's all going to get swept under the carpet like the tanking affair. And before anybody says it, different body imposing the penalties, yeah I know. BUT WHY IS IT TAKING SO GODDAMN LONG??? :banghead

Nah happy for to drag on, wold love it to be concluded and penalties announced at the completion of either round 22 or 23 and they get stripped of points and not be able to play finals  ;D

Players must get two year bans

Draft picks removes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #593 on: June 09, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
How can you ban then for six months?

During the off season when there are no games to be banned from  :huh

RR, my gut feel is and has always been that players will be banned for a period of time. Probably not the standard 2 years but more likely 6-8 months. How many players and which ones is the one thing that I am intrigued about. Ive always held the view the plays will cop their whack via the ASADA/WADA code which the AFL is bound to follow.

Failure of the AFL to enforce the penalties as per ASADA/WADA guidelines leaves open the right of ASADA/WADA to appeal and then handout their own whacks which I have no doubt would be much harsher than what the AFL will handout. In other words the AFL must hand out penalties that appease ASADA/WADA they cannot afford not too

As for the EFC, I would think they will be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Again the AFL have to punish them but to what level that's the great unknown. You'd hope they do a Melb Storm type punishment but will the AFL have the courage to do that to one of the "big" clubs? Who knows?

Would think it will have alot to do with what the ASADA report says and also what the Ziggy report sections we haven't seen but the AFL has says.

For the integrity of the game they need to go hard but as I said it all comes back to courage and whether the AFL has any

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #594 on: June 09, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
How can you ban then for six months?

During the off season when there are no games to be banned from  :huh

The bans will be for 6-8 months of competition, thought that would obvious  ::) should have spelt it put I suppose. Sort of bans they've recently handed out in MLB baseball, bans given during pre-season (spring training) but must be served during main competition.

Suggest people have a good look at the sort penalties have been handed out over the last decade and how they've been enforced

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #595 on: June 09, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »
Anything less than the what Carlton was given would be criminal.

Gigantor

« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
carltons penalty was indeed stiff,however this issue makes the salary cap rort pale into insignificance

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #599 on: June 10, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
10-15 years too late
Like the AFL brushing off what Dale Lewis had to say.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd