Author Topic: Early bird rival clubs on the hunt for Dustin Martin ... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5993 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Early bird rivals on the hunt for Dusty

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
16 July 2016

FIVE clubs have aggressively pursued Richmond star Dustin Martin a full 12 months out from the 25-year-old hitting free agency next year.

The Tigers are yet to initiate any contract talks with Martin despite his willingness to be tied to a long-term deal at Richmond.

Martin has this year shrugged off a controversial summer to put together a career-best season that has put him in Brownlow Medal calculations.

Those clubs from Melbourne and interstate are inquiring about him in what has now become a pattern for clubs chasing free agents.

Lance Franklin effectively struck a deal with Sydney 12 months before he became a free agent then kept their contract offer secret for a year.

The Tigers are still dealing with a long list of players out of contract this year, including free agents Tyrone Vickery, David Astbury, Ben Griffiths, Reece Conca and Ivan Maric.

But Martin is the jewel in the crown at Richmond, a player rivals would easily pay $1 million a year to acquire given his matchwinning abilities.

He is recording career-best numbers in every meaningful category: rankings points (109), disposals (29.3), contested footy (12.1), inside 50s (4.8), clearances (4.9) and pressure points (40.2).

The Tigers have so far been able to secure their free agents ahead of time, including securing Alex Rance last year when he was considering retiring from the game.

Brett Deledio signed a five-year deal in March 2012 in the year he was to become a free agent.

In December 2014 captain and free agent Trent Cotchin signed a five-year deal a season ahead of time, adamant he did not want the distraction of contract talks to affect the team.

Martin is seen to be thriving on and off the field despite his father Shane’s deportation to New Zealand for immigration issues this year.
Dustin Martin is being pursued by several rival AFL clubs.

Mid-sized forward Sam Lloyd is another Tiger out of contract, but said he was working towards a new deal.

“I’m sure something will get done soon,” Lloyd said.

“There’s been a bit of talk. It’s something I’ll let my manager handle more, I’ve just got to keep playing good footy.

“It’s probably been my most consistent season. I’ve focused on having that average of two goals a game.

“I’ve just got to keep working on that consistency of my pressure and that’ll keep me in the side.”

Richmond on Thursday night dropped out-of-contract midfielder Conca for the clash with Essendon despite him winning 21 possessions against the Bulldogs.

The Tigers have committed to handing key tall Liam McBean at least three weeks in the AFL as they attempt to gauge the young talent on their list.

But it means Vickery will continue to battle away in the VFL, which does not boost his trade value should he end up moving clubs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-being-pursued-by-rivals-more-than-12-months-before-entering-free-agency/news-story/71f8cc88be94678ca84cd9cd6dc16948

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Richmond are morons for not giving him long term deal last time

Circus fc
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
The Tigers are yet to initiate any contract talks with Martin despite his willingness to be tied to a long-term deal at Richmond.

Are you stuffing stuffing with me right now?

Sign him ASAP. Five or six years at least!!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Would trade for Cameron & Shiel or Kelly/Hogan & Petracca/Bontempelli & Stringer.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Only a good player because Hampson keeps feeding him first ball use.....

Will struggle at any other club without him.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I said this would happen but I was shot down by the experts saying there was plenty of time..... :snidegrin

Give him the kitchen sink.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I said this would happen but I was shot down by the experts saying there was plenty of time..... :snidegrin

What exactly is happening?

From what I can tell, it's a fluff piece on a guy with 1 and a half seasons left on his contract
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

What exactly is happening?

From what I can tell, it's a fluff piece on a guy with 1 and a half seasons left on his contract
It's in the herald sun so it must be true. :banghead

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Doubt you did. Even so, 1 out of 300 calls ain't bad. Well done  :clapping
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I must have missed where Dusty has said he wants to leave.

Just another Herald-Sun footy journo feeding off his 'Richmond news sells papers' quota  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Early bird rival clubs on the hunt for Dustin Martin ... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
Oh well it gives the ungifted something to get excited about

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »

Doubt you did. Even so, 1 out of 300 calls ain't bad. Well done  :clapping

Batchelor.... :snidegrin

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »
And the less fortunate

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
And the highly educated experts..

"Rucks:

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 05:25:17 PM »
The club will match any offer put to Dusty from other clubs + more.
They will not let him go at any price