Author Topic: Tigers rue year that got away (Herald-Sun)  (Read 327 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers rue year that got away (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
Tigers rue year that got away

Bruce Matthews
    August 28, 2012 1:16PM

RICHMOND players are focusing on a solid finish to another frustrating near-miss season to catapult them into the pre-season campaign.

Defender Bachar Houli said the Tigers must learn from the handful of narrow losses that cost them a top eight place.

"It was definitely our downfall with that three or four week patch where it was frustrating and we were trying to come up with game plans to rectify that situation if it comes about again,'' he said.

"I guess we as players have to take better control in those situations. We'll grow as a team because we're still young and developing and hopefully we'll be better at it next year.''

Houli said captain Chris Newman had been pivotal in mantaining the collective confidence that has delivered three wins from the past four matches and the chance to finish 11-11 for the season.

"We can't leave it to one captain, one leader. We've got to stand up as a playing group. We've got a leadership group as a base, but we've got to learn to voice our opinions and take control,'' he said.

"Our captain has encouraged every player to stand up and to finish off the year on a high and coming into the pre-season be full of confidence and energetic and ready to go.

"My performance probably hasn't been up to what I would've liked it to be, but from a team perspective, our young players, those who have played 10 or 15 games, are all stepping up and gaining that confidence.

"You look at our defence at the weekend. Our average games was 35 and imagine when we put another 15 or 20 games into these young players. We're going to be pretty strong and jell as a group. There have been a few hiccups along the way, but it's all about how we finish and leading into the pre-season with confidence.

"It definitely is very frustrating, particularly when you review the season, losing so many games by a kick and a little bit more. We were in front in these games at times and obviously in a position to win the game. And these teams that we did lose to are in the top four.

"Had we won those four or five games, it would've seen us in the top four. Such is life, we've got to rectify that and learn how to come up with plans to beat that situation.''

Houli said Carlton's shock loss on the Gold Coast last weekend was a reminder not to take lightly a lowly Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday.

"We had a look at their line-up early this morning and they actually have a lot of talent. For some reason, their structure hasn't been consistent over the four quarters, but if we take it easy, it can backfire in our face as it did early in the year,'' he said.

"Our intensity has to be up and going because we want to finish off the year with one more win.''

Houli said Trent Cotchin's continual development and contribution was as much around the club as those midfield contests on game day.

"You think, how (much) better can he become? He has definitely taken that next step. Also with his leadership skills which are extraordinary as well. He gets around every player before the game, gives them a high-five to be ready to go. His performance on the field starts from his leadership off the field and that's the way, I guess, that he gets rid of all his nerves before the game,'' Houli said.

"I'm always into his ear about having a speech prepared and you might have to delay your Bali trip. He deserves the best, whether he gets it (Brownlow Medal) or not, I'm sure he would definitely prefer a premiership medal.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-rue-year-that-got-away/story-fnelctok-1226459915608