Author Topic: Knights to coach Richmond rumour  (Read 3305 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Knights to coach Richmond rumour
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
March contacted SEN and dismissed the rumour. The Club hasn't spoken to Knights.

Tigermonk

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
As l said before
Schwarz on SEN & TV is a stupid goose

Jackstar is back

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Richmond Hierachy:

Board Member: Tony Free

Coach: Matthew Knights
Ass. Coach: Wayne Campbell
Ass. Coach: Kane Johnson

Whose next Jeff Hogg? lol

Nothing wrong with Jeff Hogg, quality person. Oh how  some have  short memories

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

Nice bloke Jeff Hogg - he is mentoring someone isn't he?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

Nice bloke Jeff Hogg - he is mentoring someone isn't he?

He was, dont know this year though.  Luke Mcgaune perhaps ?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Truth puts Knights tale on the sword (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 04:29:13 AM »
Truth puts Knights tale on the sword
Mike Sheahan | August 13, 2009

IT SEEMS every urger in town is convinced Matthew Knights is in earnest discussion with Richmond on its coaching vacancy.

Not a day passes when someone in the media, in the street or on the internet doesn't promise you the Essendon coach is plotting something with his old club.

When the Herald Sun called Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson yesterday and said: "We keep hearing . . .", he interrupted.

"I keep hearing that people keep hearing . . . you're referring to Matthew Knights, right?"

Other than tiring of the persistent query, Jackson is untroubled by the nature of the rumour.

"Ring Matthew," he said.

We did, and he was equally dismissive.

"It baffles me, actually," Knights said. "I've been asked four or five times in the last week.

"It's just a waste of time. I've got a contract (2008-10), we're still in the early part of our (rebuilding) program, and things are going pretty strongly.

"I'm fully committed to the players and the vision of the Essendon Football Club."

Knights admitted he spoke regularly with "Richmond people", the club's director of football, Tony Free, new chief executive Brendon Gale, and former teammate, Chris Naish, all friends.

It's the link with Free that seems to have sparked the rumour, for Free is involved in the coaching process.

"I catch up with Freezer three or four times a year," Knights said.

"We had dinner about six weeks ago. Out of professionalism, we talked general football, hardly discussed Richmond or Essendon full stop.

"If anyone tried to run with it (his return to Richmond as coach), they'd end up with severe egg on their face."

Jackson said he first heard the suggestion when 3AW contacted him at 7.15 one morning recently for comment on a Rumour File item suggesting Richmond and Knights were talking.

Jackson said Knights probably would be talking to "Richmond people", basically because of friendships made as a player (1988-2002) and captain (1997-2000).

Bottom line, said Jackson: "The guy's contracted."

Knights, 38, is in his second year at Essendon. The Bombers have won 16 of 41, with one draw, in that time.

They will need to win two of their remaining three games to give themselves a realistic chance of playing finals for the first time since 2004.

Whatever the short-term outcome, Knights will be coaching at Windy Hill in 2010.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25921852-19742,00.html