Author Topic: Polak - 2008 expectations?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Polak - 2008 expectations?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
we recruited for all his assetts. and last yr he filled a hole in defence, but that was last yr and this yr will be different

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »
Everyone on the thread think he will be our shining light up forward. We recruited him as a CHB thats where I reckon he should play. Our backline sucks big time. Its where we lose most of our games. We need experienced big bodied MEN down back. If he is to be our next FF or CHF then lets get the backline in shape first. If the likes of Rance or Sylvester come along during the year then OK but until the backline can stop more goals than our forwards kick then leave him there.
For some strange reason we want Gourdis to become a key defender too along with Rance.

Polak as yet hasn't proven himself marking and shutting down an opposition key forward as we played him as a loose man in defence even though we got him to play CHB. There's also the question of his kicking if he's played in the backline.

I blame our midfield for us leaking so many "easy" goals rather than our backline. The ball came down far to readily and without pressure. It didn't help we didn't have a top ruckman last year. We were totally smashed at stoppages.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »
I blame our midfield for us leaking so many "easy" goals rather than our backline. The ball came down far to readily and without pressure. It didn't help we didn't have a top ruckman last year. We were totally smashed at stoppages.

Agree.

Hawthorn had a shrimp down back that was close to All-Australian. Their midfield and the pressure they applied to the opposition would have helped him out quite a lot.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 11:03:23 PM »
yo madge

Lol.  :lol
I've been here too long. I like it. :thumbsup

i dont understand, you infer he struggles kicking 6pointers close to goal but then you want to move him out further???

He's not a leading forward and he's not agile or fast enough to play CHF. He'd be the sort of FF you would leave 10-20 mtrs out from goal (in the red zone) and just put the ball on top of his head. Utilise his biggest strength, his marking. Place your crumbers at his feet and walah!!! PRESSURE on the opposition.

Maybe.
I am far from convinced at this point than he's much more than a good contested mark. He is a poor set shot and they aren't usually FFwds (in good teams anyway).

As I said in a previous post I won't be surprised to see him dropped this year.

Obviously I hope he proves me wrong and kicks 70 goals for the year but I can't see it.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »
we shouldnt have to rely on solely him to kick the goals.
our midfield goals are non existent. sometimes i wonder they cant contribute like all other team's mid's
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 07:34:22 PM »
Yep you're right daniel. It's a major deficiency in our game. I guess when you never are on top in the midfield or around the stoppages, our midfielders are too busy going back or chasing tail to push forward to kick goals. I know yesterday was only a scratch match against ourselves so hardly decent opposition but at least there were good signs of mids kicking goals. 

He is a poor set shot and they aren't usually FFwds (in good teams anyway).
Travis Cloke board  ;D

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
He is a poor set shot and they aren't usually FFwds (in good teams anyway).
Travis Cloke board  ;D

Sure not a great set shot but Cloke is the most promising natural CHF if I have seen since J Brown MT.

He could teach GP a thing or two about toughness and workrate.
It's a damn shame he's not a Tiger. :(

Cloke > Polak. Not much of a comparison.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
That's a big call comparing Cloke to J Brown. At the same age Brown was a dual premiership player and Brown was always a much more reliable kick on goal. Cloke even makes Richo seem a dead-eye dick and he's also averaging just 1 goal per game.

Agree though on workrate Magic but over a season that's a big difference between the Pies and us as a team not just Polak as much as I hate saying it. Ironically each year the game we do lift our workrate and toughness to the necessary level is against the Pies when we flog them. One of reasons I just don't rate Collingwood. Hardworkers but an average side that lacks class.

Back on Polak I'm interested in how he goes this year in his second year at Punt Rd. As with Simmo, Freo didn't know what to do with Polly and we know it took Simmo at least 12 months to get his body and fitness right after Freo stuffed him up.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
That's a big call comparing Cloke to J Brown. At the same age Brown was a dual premiership player and Brown was always a much more reliable kick on goal. Cloke even makes Richo seem a dead-eye dick and he's also averaging just 1 goal per game.
Didn't say he was quite as good as Brown(the set shot kicking is a difference) but his stats at the same age are comparible. The dual premierships don't really mean a lot when you think about the personel in that Brisbane side.
I don't doubt Travis is an extremely bright prospect for the Pies. :(

If Polak wants to be a successful key forward then the likes of Brown, Richardson & even Cloke are where at he should at least aim to be even if he doesn't get there. If we are going to be a top side we'll need him to be the best he can.
Obviously I hope he gets somewhere near it.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »
Didn't say he was quite as good as Brown(the set shot kicking is a difference) but his stats at the same age are comparible. The dual premierships don't really mean a lot when you think about the personel in that Brisbane side.

If Polak wants to be a successful key forward then the likes of Brown, Richardson & even Cloke are where at he should at least aim to be even if he doesn't get there. If we are going to be a top side we'll need him to be the best he can.

absolutely agree
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »
Thanks to Damir gullibly believing the crap Collingwood was promising him for the second time in his life. This time that all 3 brothers playing together for the next decade. As soon as they got Travis it was bye bye Jason and Cameron. We told him the truth about only being really interested in Travis and so missed out  :(.

Travis also doesn't have the intimidation factor Brown has but agree Magic his output last year is something we would love our young key forwards to deliver (minus the crap goalkicking). I guess the only positive is Cloke plays for an overrated average side.

Yep let's hope Polly can  :pray.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 01:56:52 AM »
from the Age...

In his second year at the club, Graham Polak said the sight of a fully fit Simmonds, Nathan Brown and Mark Coughlan had been an enormous morale boost for everybody at the club.

"It really picks up our training levels to see them all working hard … we missed them last year and to have them back fresh will give us a lot of drive," he said.

Crossing from Fremantle after a disappointing 2006, Polak (No. 4 pick in 2001 draft) resurrected his career with 22 matches in defence last year.

"It's one of my goals again this year to play every game," he said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/simmonds-set-to-lift-midfield/2008/02/06/1202233950862.html