Author Topic: Houli reported; suspension doubled from 2 to 4 weeks after AFL appeal [updated]  (Read 13430 times)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Waleed Aly, an avid Richmond Tigers supporter, took to The Project to explain his decision after his co-host Peter Hellier sent an email to the show questioning his involvement in the process.

A well-known Collingwood supporter, Hellier, who is on currently on leave, argued character testimony should not be used to decide how guilty players are of an on-field act.

However, Aly said he felt the controversy surrounding the suspension was more about the tribunal's decision rather than his role in providing a good character reference for Houli.

"This is not an uncommon thing," Aly said. "You do get character references in courts all the time. That is a really common thing. The tribunals are based on a court. These are the rules that they have had in place."

"They have used them before I think in tribunal settings. It is not like this was something that was dreamt up by Richmond or by the lawyers or anything like that. It is a standard procedure."

"So, if they are trying to figure out whether the person involved intended to hurt somebody or whatever, then it is relevant to that or it can be relevant to that that a court figures out is this the kind of person who is likely to have intended to do something like that?"

The league believes strong character evidence should only mean the penalty does not move to be greater than four matches, not that it could be cut below that minimum threshold.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/waleed-aly-defends-bachar-houli-afl-tribunal-involvement-20170628-gx0rq2.html

Hellier is just jealous that the only character reference a Lolingwood player will ever get is from a prison guard, a bulk bill dentist or a divvy van driver

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
 :snidegrin
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
you seriously think he tried to knock him out, stuff off
and I have boxed and ill tell you from experience you don't fight with your back to your opponent  :lol
Aikido isn't boxing...in fact it isn't anything :lol. If you box you only need a split second to know what the head is doing by body positioning. He went for his head alright, using a 'backhand hammerfist'. Dangerous, if you are half expecting it but deadly if you are not. After careful consideration and multi-angle replays the judiciary judged it thus as well.
blah blah blah.  I said I boxed, I boxed before aikido.  Your a talker, back hand wankfist...geez quit while you are behind.  Stick to your simplified suffragette jiu jitsu for gimps and leave the boxing and aikido to the talented. :snidegrin
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
4 weeks

stuffin joke they are
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
So it's ok for Lewis to intentionally break someones jaw and get less and he has a poor record.....

The AFL are a joke!!!!!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
With all the media scrutiny the decision would have been set in stone before anyone said a word. They had no other choice but to uphold the appeal, another case of the inmates running the asylum.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
yeah yeah it's joke and a disgrace and all that but at the end of day I find it hard to be too upset about our side being Houli-free for a month....no coincidence we played our best footy without him last year too.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
yeah yeah it's joke and a disgrace and all that but at the end of day I find it hard to be too upset about our side being Houli-free for a month....no coincidence we played our best footy without him last year too.... :shh

i couldnt agree more but i just cant understand how these jokers justify their positions

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
4 weeks

stuffin joke they are

AFL = Absolute stuffing Losers

tony_montana

I read the transcript and was thinking, based on the hearing there is no plausible way for them to increase the sentence

stuffing lol

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

i couldnt agree more but i just cant understand how these jokers justify their positions
Exactly.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
He got what any player would deserve for his actions imo.

The AFL has shown it has a backbone and stepped in when imbeciles got it horriblely wrong.

You can twist it anyway you want, he swung his arm intentionally and knocked a player out.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

The AFL has shown it has a backbone and stepped in when imbeciles got it horriblely wrong.

You can twist it anyway you want, he swung his arm intentionally and knocked a player out.

Accept the decision

But

Let's hope this backbone you speak of is now permanent for ALL cases not just the ones the media drive.

Just want consistency

And sadly with the AFL that's not exactly a strength
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

Accept the decision

But

Let's hope this backbone you speak of is now permanent for ALL cases not just the ones the media drive.

Just want consistency

Regardless of all that, do you think they got this one right WP?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Accept the decision

But

Just want consistency

Regardless of all that, do you think they got this one right WP?

I originally thought 3 weeks

So yeah the decision is more right than wrong. It's how they got to it I have a major problem with

I found the Cunnington punch to the Bulldogs player just as bad. And he got a week. Punch to the throat area is mighty dangerous as well, could end someone's career

That's what I mean by lack of consistency
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)