Author Topic: Tiger six-pack rates a mention (Age)  (Read 862 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger six-pack rates a mention (Age)
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:21 AM »
Tiger six-pack rates a mention

Jon Pierik
    The Age
    March 7, 2013

If Richmond is looking for evidence it can feature this season in its first finals campaign in more than a decade, this may be it.

In a detailed statistical analysis, Champion Data says the Tigers boast six elite players in their positions in the past two seasons - Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio and Jack Riewoldt are givens, but Bachar Houli, Ivan Maric and Shane Tuck would surprise some.

To put this in perspective, only West Coast, with seven, had more. Collingwood and Hawthorn had six, while defending champion Sydney had five. One of those Swans is Kurt Tippett, who was not with the team last season.

The Eagles, Magpies and Hawks will begin the campaign among the premiership favourites. So too will the Swans. So, should this be enough to give the long-suffering Richmond faithful hope of being alive come September?
Advertisement

''That's all very well and good, but guess what? It's probably not those six players that win you the premiership,'' says former Tiger Brian Taylor. ''Collingwood's premiership [in 2010] was won with the [depth of the] bottom six and the six that missed out on the game. It boils down to this: you may have six elite players, but then it is which club has got the closest 20 other players to those elite.''

Taylor, 3AW's leading football commentator, would know, as he missed selection in the Tigers' 1982 grand final team and again with the Magpies in 1990. His comment has even more merit as the Champion Data analysis showed the Swans did not have one player branded as poor.

An analysis of all teams in Champion Data's AFL Prospectus has the usual suspects branded as elite, the likes of Chris Judd, Gary Ablett, Jobe Watson, Lance Franklin and Scott Pendlebury.

Elite players are in the top 10 per cent for their position. Other categories were above average (top 35 per cent of position), average (middle 30 per cent), below average (bottom 35 per cent), poor (bottom 10 per cent), while players who had managed five games or fewer in 2011 and 2012 were only afforded a question mark.

Taylor took umbrage that Richmond's Brandon Ellis, a defender, was judged to have had a below-average campaign in his first season in 2012. ''I thought Brandon Ellis had a cracking year for his first year. He hardly wasted the ball. He is a real good runner, an elite runner,'' he said.

Ellis played in all but one game in his debut season, posting an above-average kick rating.

Conversely, Daniel Jackson and Jake King were deemed to be ''average'' Tigers, another ranking Taylor said was questionable.

''Daniel Jackson, I would put him as below average, and probably Jake King as well,'' he said. ''Jake King, he doesn't give up, he gives a bit of forward pressure and nothing else. Daniel Jackson gives the ball back every time he gets it by trying to do too much with it.''

Other interesting assessments included the below-average campaigns of Collingwood's Alan Didak, Geelong's Travis Varcoe and Josh Caddy, the former Sun who has joined Geelong.

The Cats would insist Jimmy Bartel, Steve Johnson and James Kelly are elite, although Champion Data rated them only above average in the past two years.

''I don't have the benefit of sitting here and looking at stats, but I would have said they were elite,'' former Geelong premiership skipper Cameron Ling said.

Ruck recruit Hamish McIntosh was in the same category as his new teammates, despite playing just eight games over the past two seasons.

Melbourne recruit Shannon Byrnes was said to have been poor at Geelong, while Nathan Bock was considered to have been elite at the Gold Coast, despite his season ending in round six last year because of a broken leg.

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse will hope Matthew Kreuzer and Andrew Walker emerge from average seasons, while the likes of Bryce Gibbs and Chris Yarran transform from above average to elite.

Hawthorn's Luke Breust would surprise some observers as being elite. Conversely, Brad Sewell had claims to being elite, as opposed to above average.

Essendon has been seen as a team in need of a touch of class in recent years, a point the Bombers have acknowledged by securing Brendon Goddard, one of only three elite players at Windy Hill.

Champion Data's AFL Prospectus 2013, available at bookstores or from Champion Data, $39.95.

YOUR TEAM'S BEST AND WORST

Based on Champion Data statistics 2011-2012
ELITE: Top 10 per cent of position in league
BELOW AVERAGE: Bottom 35 per cent of position in league
POOR: Bottom 10 per cent of position in league
(ABOVE AVERAGE and average players not listed, except where the above average were the team’s highest-rated players)

RICHMOND

ELITE
Brett Deledio midfielder
Trent Cotchin midfielder
Shane Tuck midfielder
Ivan Maric ruck
Jack Riewoldt forward
Bachar Houli defender

BELOW AVERAGE
Reece Conca midfielder
Chris Knights forward
Brandon Ellis defender
Matt White midfielder
Matthew Dea defender
Ben Griffiths defender

POOR
David Astbury defender
Brett O'Hanlon forward
Bradley Helbig midfielder

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-sixpack-rates-a-mention-20130306-2flk2.html#ixzz2Mlxh7d48

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger six-pack rates a mention (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »
So if you played 5 games or less a season during the 2 seasons assessed you rec'd a ? mark

But if you played say 6 in 2011 & 7 games in 2012 you get rated under this analysis?

Stats can lie  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Taylor got Jackson spot on!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:06:15 AM »
Taylor got Jackson spot on!

Yeah I agree with BT too Smokey

Just not sure I agree with the number of games they've used to assess players

Also agree with BT on this:

''That's all very well and good, but guess what? It's probably not those six players that win you the premiership,'' says former Tiger Brian Taylor. ''Collingwood's premiership [in 2010] was won with the [depth of the] bottom six and the six that missed out on the game. It boils down to this: you may have six elite players, but then it is which club has got the closest 20 other players to those elite.''

Reckon he is spot on & that's why Sydney is so good and list depth is paramount

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »
Yep, its the bottom 6 that win premierships, not the top 6.  Something the sages on here have proclaimed on more than 1 occasion.  Maybe BT reads us?   :whistle

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
woweeeeee

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
Any data that throws out such tripe that states Bachar Houli is elite and Reece Conca is below average may as well be written in crayon on toilet paper. I'm sure Houli would even be embarrassed by that. He aint even close to elite
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Any data that throws out such tripe that states Bachar Houli is elite and Reece Conca is below average may as well be written in crayon on toilet paper. I'm sure Houli would even be embarrassed by that. He aint even close to elite

I won't have players abused like that on my website. Bachar is elite and Dan Jackson is irreplaceable

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »

I won't have players abused like that on my website. Bachar is elite and Dan Jackson is irreplaceable

such a prude

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »

the prodigal son returns, i should have baked a cake  :cheers