Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452614 times)

tony_montana

Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #615 on: May 27, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Jeebus the bloke can move! His lateral running and movement looked better than I remember. Could  hold down chb long term...

and Vickery showed how important he is to our structure, unfortunately we don't have anybody else who could play his role so going to have to cop his crap form for the time being - the chop out he gives big Ivarn is priceless.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #616 on: May 27, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
Erm elton = tyronek 2

the claw

« Reply #617 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
Actually Pope I feel if we had gone Bastinac he would have been a gun in our midfield.

Thing is IMHO at Nought they aren't developing as well as they are at us and hence I feel that Nought are struggling right now. Thing with Nought is they have a good defensive and forward structure with some nice ruckmen but Harvey is virtually the only mid they have that can break the lines and he is from a by gone era. All they have now is a slowish in and under type midfield. All their mids are virtually the same type of player.

Having said that I am not disappointed at all we went for Griff. Griff filled a need and yesterday he proved to us what that despite his frailties how much we need him in our 22 week in week out and 100% fit. Hindsight is used at the end or when things are beyond repair. Right now all Griff needs is to play every game till the end of the year injury free and we'll be right.

Yeah spot on post. Bastinac and Fyfe comment was tongue in check lol

When we picked up Griffiths, Richo was on the otehr side of 30, Jack hadn't come on we were desperate for KP forwards. If we went another midfielder and Jack never came on, we never would have picked up Martin and would have gone tall in that draft..
more utter b/s trengove scully martin and morabito were out and out stand outs in that draft. not even jackson could stuff that up and not take one of them.
 sydney went to the extent where they offered us picks 6 and 14  for pick 3 to get a crack at either martin or morabito.
dunno what your going on about not taking martin. martin and griffiths were taken in the same draft so i dont see how not taking griffiths at 19  would mean we would not have taken martin at 3. we didnt even know if griffiths would still be there at 19. at 3 we took one of the two most outstanding prospects that were left.if you think we were not going to take one of them you are delusional.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #618 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
I am wondering whether any NFL scouts have heard any whispers about Ben Griffiths, feel he would be a sensation in the US given that from what i can see he averages around 60-65 metres each time he kicks the ball. Also had me thinking why yesterday was Newman kicking out during the rain when Griffiths would have kicked it to the centre square.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »
Was a good ploy to kick it long down the middle to break open their zone. I just hope that every time he kicks it out he doesn't do the same thing otherwise it will be too easy to predict and defend. Was beautiful to see all the same. I think he loved hearing the crowd too whenever he roosted the ball  :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #620 on: May 27, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
If Griff wasnt available we would have gone:
3: Martin
19: Astbury
35: Ayden Kennedy
43: Dea
51: Taylor

Griff has played more games than Kennedy.  :whistle
what rubbish.
we had the option at pick 19 of talls carlisle, black, and griffiths. easily the best 3 talls available at that pick. smalls bastinac fyfe and bartlett were also available.

What's rubbish about it? And lol Griff>Bastinac.  :wallywink
mate its garbage your trying to tell me we would have taken astbury at 19 if griffiths was not there. i pointed out two kpps who were much much better options than astbury and highly rated, both were touted to go first round. and i pointed out the fact that two potential A grade mids were also available at that pick. if it wasnt going to be griffiths at 19 it most certainly was not going to be astbury i can tell you now.

on bastinac hes done as much as any  player from that draft to date and he missed most of last yr with a serious knee injury.

bartlett well he was an outstanding pick brisbane must have been beside themselves getting him where they did. trouble is you need a crystal ball to be able to foresee two knee reconstructions.

black well if possible hes had as much injury as griffiths has, he will be a player. he was a skinny kid unlike griffiths and was going to take a little time anyway.was good against men before getting drafted.

carlisle sheesh hes only played about 15 20 games what is there to not like about him. of the talls mentioned he is the best performed to date.

okay our  boy.

griffiths.  was a huge risk he only played about  10 games in two yrs before we drafted him he only showed glimpses. and we took him knowing he had serious shoulder probs.
athletically he was the best tall available at pick 19, but performance wise there were others in front of him with no risk.
there was also two potential A grade mids available as well. again we were not going to take astbury at 19.
not against us getting him and not against him. but i did and still do query the risk with such a pick.
 with what he showed against hawthorn he will be a player.
 i have always said i would have taken one of carlisle or black before him if we were to go tall, both will be players. but my preference was bastinac because i felt he could be elite. there was nothing to prevent us targeting tall areas with picks 35 onwards.
i have never been against griffiths or said he wont make it or had no talent ive always said i prefered those others for the reasons ive given.

just a question we targeted two kpfs in griffiths and astbury yet it seems neither will play as forwards atm. did we fail to address our forward needs or a better way to ask it did we get it wrong or fail to address those forward needs if neither become forwards.
 taking todd elton last yr at pick 26 sort of says perhaps the club thinks we did.also with griffiths playing back perhaps astbury will now go to his rightful position at chf when he returns from injury.

anyway heres hoping we have found a big piece to the puzzle weather that be at chb or ff. would still like to see him in the forward line. for me he is a developing  player rather than an established player and has a awful lot to prove before i will call him an afl player.
the rest of the yr playing every week weather that be all games at richmond or some time back at coburg is what he needs. his kicking and movement look to be real weapons if he can start clunking his fair share of contested marks and find his fair share of ball on a regular basis we will indeed have a player.

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #621 on: May 27, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Claw are you an idiot? We're they both recruited as forwards? Do you know that for fact? I would doubt it. The thing is we haven't had an issue with our forward line sinc recruiting both these guys! Maybe we drafted both of them with the thought of playing them forward but since our forwards then stepped up we shifted bothe these guys down back where we had major defincies. Astbury has played all his games as a backman and yes Griffiths did start his career up forward but was forced to start playing down back because the forward line was full! So in hind site I would say No we didn't fail recruiting two KPP forwards because we haven't needed two KPP forwards!

tony_montana

« Reply #622 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
Ben Reid board, leppitsch board... Smetimes players morph into something not expected, Reid was recruited as a fwd, looked a dud, went back and gee whiz.... A golden or unwritten rule about drafting young developing KPP, most play fwd at junior level bc that's where the best or most talented are usually played so usually the best talls taken are fwds.. from there clubs then decide where they will end up as they evaluate their development over the yrs. Hence Astbury, Post and now Griff are played and tried down back, just bc they are fwds initially doesn't mean they have to be fwds or can be fwds.

As for black and Carlisle, I've seen a bit of Carlisle, Griff showed more tricks and upside in yesterday's 1 match than I've seen from Carlisle. Carlisle is pretty slow and lumbering, stick him on an athletic fwd and he is toast, in the contest he is good though. Griff just needs to stay fit and on the bloody park, if he does then our gamble in drafting him will pay off jackpot style, if not then we take it on the chin, from what I saw the risk is worth it. Aybody who questions his upside or talent has little idea, if you question his body and longevity fair enough

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #623 on: May 28, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »

what rubbish.
we had the option at pick 19 of talls carlisle, black, and griffiths. easily the best 3 talls available at that pick. smalls bastinac fyfe and bartlett were also available.

There was also a guy named McMillan who I understand we were looking at but I think he went to Norf.

I could very well have my Norf players mixed up at pick 35 there. They are both average anyway.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #624 on: May 28, 2012, 12:35:28 AM »

what rubbish.

mate its garbage your trying to tell me we would have taken astbury at 19 if griffiths was not there. i pointed out two kpps who were much much better options than astbury and highly rated, both were touted to go first round. and i pointed out the fact that two potential A grade mids were also available at that pick. if it wasnt going to be griffiths at 19 it most certainly was not going to be astbury i can tell you now.

on bastinac hes done as much as any  player from that draft to date and he missed most of last yr with a serious knee injury.

bartlett well he was an outstanding pick brisbane must have been beside themselves getting him where they did. trouble is you need a crystal ball to be able to foresee two knee reconstructions.

black well if possible hes had as much injury as griffiths has, he will be a player. he was a skinny kid unlike griffiths and was going to take a little time anyway.was good against men before getting drafted.

carlisle sheesh hes only played about 15 20 games what is there to not like about him. of the talls mentioned he is the best performed to date.

okay our  boy.

griffiths.  was a huge risk he only played about  10 games in two yrs before we drafted him he only showed glimpses. and we took him knowing he had serious shoulder probs.
athletically he was the best tall available at pick 19, but performance wise there were others in front of him with no risk.
there was also two potential A grade mids available as well. again we were not going to take astbury at 19.
not against us getting him and not against him. but i did and still do query the risk with such a pick.
 i have always said i would have taken one of carlisle or black before him if we were to go tall, both will be players. but my preference was bastinac because i felt he could be elite. there was nothing to prevent us targeting tall areas with picks 35 onwards.
i have never been against griffiths or said he wont make it or had no talent ive always said i prefered those others for the reasons ive given.

just a question we targeted two kpfs in griffiths and astbury yet it seems neither will play as forwards atm. did we fail to address our forward needs or a better way to ask it did we get it wrong or fail to address those forward needs if neither become forwards.
 taking todd elton last yr at pick 26 sort of says perhaps the club thinks we did.also with griffiths playing back perhaps astbury will now go to his rightful position at chf when he returns from injury.

anyway heres hoping we have found a big piece to the puzzle weather that be at chb or ff. would still like to see him in the forward line. for me he is a developing  player rather than an established player and has a awful lot to prove before i will call him an afl player.
the rest of the yr playing every week weather that be all games at richmond or some time back at coburg is what he needs. his kicking and movement look to be real weapons if he can start clunking his fair share of contested marks and find his fair share of ball on a regular basis we will indeed have a player.

So what I said we would have done is garbage because you personally think it wasn't the right option? lol ok then. Didn't read the rest of the jibberish after the highlighted part.  :shh :lol

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #625 on: May 28, 2012, 01:55:40 AM »

what rubbish.

okay our  boy.

So we're just ignoring the fact that Bartlett had dodgy knees before being drafted, are we?  ;)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #626 on: May 28, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »

what rubbish.

okay our  boy.

So we're just ignoring the fact that Bartlett had dodgy knees before being drafted, are we?  ;)

Lol should have kept reading.  :lol

Griff has had less shoulder injuries than Bartlett has had knee reco's  :lol

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #627 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Might further add  he is a great kick. and thats about it

Like I said to you Jack, he's a lot more than just that.

Really pleased with his performance in his first game back on the weekend. Looked at ease.

So much to work with.  :)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #628 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
a) griffiths was the only player left in the draft at 19 that was said to have
 Been 'top 5 in the draft pool if not for injury`. With the rebuilding melbourne with so many high picks taking griff was the risk we needed to take.

b) with rance. Grimed. Griff looking like our 3 long term large defenders. Along witg vickery ruck
\ forward. It looks to me astbury is the perfect 3rd tall forward option.

Black was not highly rated draft day.

what rubbish.

okay our  boy.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
edit: drop king or nahas for houli
« Reply #629 on: May 28, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
Ill prove it to u claw#

Batch. Grimes. Dea.
Griff. Rance. Morris.
Ellis. Deledio. Grigg.
Astbury. Vickery. Conca.
Cotchin. Riewoldt. Martin.
I.Maric. Tuck. Foley.
Newman. Edwards. King. Nahas

Next in line talls: OHanlon. Elton. Post. Moore? Browne. Derickx.
Mids: Helbig. Aarnot. A Maric. Jacko etc.forgot houli*

At the least rfc would have a tallish team with 2 ruckman size bookends +imaric.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:59:41 AM by Bentleigh-esque »