Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452611 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #645 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
I forgot about Sydney offering us picks 6 and 14 for pick 3 that year.

Not saying I would have done it then or even now (very happy with our lot) - but in hindsight we could have had a Fyfe at #6 and a Bastinac at #14 instead of Martin (assuming our recruiters rated them they way they have now turned out).

Imagine that midfield with Cotch Lids Foley Tuck hmmmm  ;D

:(

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2012, 01:30:49 AM »
I forgot about Sydney offering us picks 6 and 14 for pick 3 that year.

Not saying I would have done it then or even now (very happy with our lot) - but in hindsight we could have had a Fyfe at #6 and a Bastinac at #14 instead of Martin (assuming our recruiters rated them they way they have now turned out).

Imagine that midfield with Cotch Lids Foley Tuck hmmmm  ;D

Personally would prefer Martin. Especially when chances are we wouldn't have got Fyfe at 6 seems we ignored him at 19. Not a Bastinac fan either TBH. Pretty average kick like the rest of the Kangas midfield.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2012, 07:11:11 AM »
Some nice signs by Ben - great kicking, neat skills, very good decision making. Offensively a very good game by Ben.

However the key concerns with Ben on his intensity, durability and physicality remain.

Ben has had the rose glasses treatment because of our win but he flew often one handed and didn't straight linemarking contests, dropped his head and marks in marking contests and actually didn't take a mark in the game.

On the occassions where he was one out with Hale he was outbodied and outmarked easily.

I'd be concerned if he was earmarked to play on Kosi next week
We have to be careful not to crucify this kid in his first year as a CHB. Most 'keys' take a couple of years to develop ala Grimes and Rance. I'd be more than happy if he breaks even in 50% of games.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:13:28 AM by Ruanaidh »

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
Some nice signs by Ben - great kicking, neat skills, very good decision making. Offensively a very good game by Ben.

However the key concerns with Ben on his intensity, durability and physicality remain.

Ben has had the rose glasses treatment because of our win but he flew often one handed and didn't straight linemarking contests, dropped his head and marks in marking contests and actually didn't take a mark in the game.

On the occassions where he was one out with Hale he was outbodied and outmarked easily.

I'd be concerned if he was earmarked to play on Kosi next week
We have to be careful not to crucify this kid in his first year as a CHB. Most 'keys' take a couple of years to develop ala Grimes and Rance. I'd be more than happy if he breaks even in 50% of games.

Yep, I'd be more than happy if we can put him back to the 3rd tall spot minding the resting rucks as soon as Grimes is fit again.
Will be able to run off and collect scraps at that possie and then use his cannon to put the pill over the forward press and deep to the forwards particularly the resting mids like Martin, Cotchin and Deledio.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #649 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I hate to say it, but this guy could be the difference between just getting into the 8 and a real premiership threat.

He is THAT good.

Any 20 year old 200cm 100kg+ agile, quick coordinated player that can kick 70m provides so much x factor, it's not funny.

Imagine him in 3 years!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #650 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
I hate to say it, but this guy could be the difference between just getting into the 8 and a real premiership threat.

He is THAT good.

Any 20 year old 200cm 100kg+ agile, quick coordinated player that can kick 70m provides so much x factor, it's not funny.

Imagine him in 3 years!

Only one thing wrong with going to Tiger Forums and reading posts like that.
Especially after a good win.

The fact i have to continually re-adjust myself. LOL  ;D :gotigers

the claw

« Reply #651 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Mr Claw, you still havent answered my question as to why you think Griffiths was gifted a game and to whom you would have given the game to instead??
and here i was thinking i had answered it when we argued over his form at coburg .

they have to earn it is basically the mantra.
the 4 games leading up to this week.  he got knocked out 1st q week 1, did nothing week 2. probably still affected from the head knock.
hurt his knee and only played a half week 3 and scraped into the best plaers week 4. hardly earnt a game id say.
others have been in the best players two or three weeks in a row at coburg  and they dont get a game. this while hacks like nahas  jackson king and  edwards have all performed poorly along with vickery.

ben  got a game because the structure was poo. there was no one else. so we played him and   look what happened.we gave a kid a chance and  he showed a bit.
this all leads us back to actually dropping underperformers. we dont. we persevere with them. griffiths is a good example of why we should not be gifting blokes games who are currently in the team. there are other options and you just dont know what you will get.
id give derickx a game and post in front of vickery who has played 7 games and been in our worst two players in all 7 games hes played. the only reason he missed playing was because he got injured so he didnt get dropped despite shocking performances. there was  no going back to coburg for him and earning a spot nope hes a favorite.

the claw

« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
Claw are you an idiot? We're they both recruited as forwards? Do you know that for fact? I would doubt it. The thing is we haven't had an issue with our forward line sinc recruiting both these guys! Maybe we drafted both of them with the thought of playing them forward but since our forwards then stepped up we shifted bothe these guys down back where we had major defincies. Astbury has played all his games as a backman and yes Griffiths did start his career up forward but was forced to start playing down back because the forward line was full! So in hind site I would say No we didn't fail recruiting two KPP forwards because we haven't needed two KPP forwards!
lol this has to be one of the funniest most ill informed posts ive ever read on these boards. ain't delusion grand.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »
Grimes and batch got injured, a backman had to come in. Who would of you rathered get the spot?

the claw

« Reply #654 on: May 29, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
Grimes and batch got injured, a backman had to come in. Who would of you rathered get the spot?
griffiths was fine for me or give post another crack. im all for peeing off out of the team those who regularly under perfrom and giving the kids more games.
as i said most of this debate is a lead up to vickery and how pee poor hes been in all 7 games hes played. go read my posts in the last 3 or 4 pages.

part of the argument was griffiths had earnt his spot and that is patently false. he basically missed 6 quarters in his last 4 games from being hurt. he did nothing in one and scraped into the best players in another. he did not earn a game which is what the club has been saying all the young players must do. just a point that others on here wont acknowledge. if we can gift griffiths a game surely we can some others as well. look what happens when you give talented kids a game.

me i disagree with this and think we should drop underperforming players in the 1sts for players just like griffiths. vickery is the case in point. without a doubt in his 7 games this yr hes been in our worst 2 players each week.
unbelievable that he was not made to find form at coburg and EARN  a spot. allowing us to give a bloke like derickx a game or bring post back in after kicking 5 goals in similar circumstances to what we did with griffiths, that is just give him a game .

vickery had a lousy preseason and only what he did last yr got him a game.  then had a lousy 6 games in a row, then  missed two weeks with injury  and hey presto straight back in to perform bloody poorly again. why arent we making him earn a game and dont give me the structure b/s there are options to get around the problem.

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #655 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
lol Mr Claw once again you are the king of contradicting yourself :lol

Let's have another look a Griffiths form shall we and go back one more game than you cared to mention earlier......his form looks like this,  round 5 BOG, R6 injured conclusion, R7 did very little in a age where we got flogged and as you said probably still suffering from the conclusion R8 hurt his knee, and round 9 back to form with another BOG. Considering the time he had off that's not a bad effort hardly the poor form you say he was in?
You also mention the OTHERS that got BOG 2 pr 3 weeks in a row do you want to name them perhaps because I'm not exactly sure who your talking about :huh

You then try and deflect away from your Griffiths  mistake by bringing up Vickery saying he should be dropped for Derickx :lol WTF has Derickx done to deserve a game? NOTHING! But because it suites your flawed argument its ok to bring in a guy who played in the VFL development squad only 2 rounds ago and hasn't even looked like getting a BOG for Coburg!

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #656 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Claw are you an idiot? We're they both recruited as forwards? Do you know that for fact? I would doubt it. The thing is we haven't had an issue with our forward line sinc recruiting both these guys! Maybe we drafted both of them with the thought of playing them forward but since our forwards then stepped up we shifted bothe these guys down back where we had major defincies. Astbury has played all his games as a backman and yes Griffiths did start his career up forward but was forced to start playing down back because the forward line was full! So in hind site I would say No we didn't fail recruiting two KPP forwards because we haven't needed two KPP forwards!
lol this has to be one of the funniest most ill informed posts ive ever read on these boards. ain't delusion grand.

Ill informed how? I would love to hear your version, please do tell....

tony_montana

« Reply #657 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
griffiths was fine for me or give post another crack. im all for peeing off out of the team those who regularly under perfrom and giving the kids more games.
as i said most of this debate is a lead up to vickery and how pee poor hes been in all 7 games hes played. go read my posts in the last 3 or 4 pages.

part of the argument was griffiths had earnt his spot and that is patently false. he basically missed 6 quarters in his last 4 games from being hurt. he did nothing in one and scraped into the best players in another. he did not earn a game which is what the club has been saying all the young players must do. just a point that others on here wont acknowledge. if we can gift griffiths a game surely we can some others as well. look what happens when you give talented kids a game.

me i disagree with this and think we should drop underperforming players in the 1sts for players just like griffiths. vickery is the case in point. without a doubt in his 7 games this yr hes been in our worst 2 players each week.
unbelievable that he was not made to find form at coburg and EARN  a spot. allowing us to give a bloke like derickx a game or bring post back in after kicking 5 goals in similar circumstances to what we did with griffiths, that is just give him a game .

vickery had a lousy preseason and only what he did last yr got him a game.  then had a lousy 6 games in a row, then  missed two weeks with injury  and hey presto straight back in to perform bloody poorly again. why arent we making him earn a game and dont give me the structure b/s there are options to get around the problem.

Claw, with the Vickery situation it's pretty straight forward why he plays and gets a game even though output is horrible. Derickx can ruck but is a lumberer, his fwd pressure would be nil, same goes for those calling for beefcake to get a game.Vickery has been woeful but he is agile, quick and covers the territory required of a big fwd that needs to apply frontal pressure. He is also doing a lot of things off the ball that you don't see from the armchair, put on numerous blocks and led well on the weekend, can confidently say that Post and derickx could not do this in the same role. We don't have anybody else who can play fwd and relieve Maric in the ruck and u can't play 2 ruckmen these days unless they can both do the job up fwd. Yes He's a lucky young man as we don't have a Leigh brown or a roughead type waiting in the wings but I saw the first signs of him turning the corner on Saturday IMO.

Agree about the rest though, one of my pet hates has been that players like Jackson and Edwards just wouldn't be given a rest, who knows a kid may have  done a griffiths if given an opportunity, but there's one problem with that, we don't have any, Arnott is still building a tank who else is there? we should have had another 3-4 developing midfield kids in the wings but hopefully we'll address that this year by getting rid of more deadwood.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #658 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
Watching last weeks game, on Ben's first kick in he reached the middle of the G, commentators didn't pick it up, but wow, if he can do that what a huge advantage as the opposition will need to spread pretty wide to cover the length of kick and options it opens up. For me, I liked Ben's game and thought he did pretty well. Hope he gets a lot more this season

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #659 on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Let's just hope he can string a few games togetherbandvreally get some confidence in both his body and ability. He will be a very handy player for us in the long term if we can keep him on the park. Fingers crossed :pray