Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452610 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #885 on: May 14, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
should be in mcgaunes position.

Err NO

Drop a bloke who's playing well more importnatly playing his team role extremely well for a bloke who's been struggling to play consistent footy at VFL level

Yep that makes perfect sense

Your right. Griffiths should be delisted without having been given an extended run in the forward line or the senior team in general. In place of McGaune and Jackson will be be grand final winning players.

Not suggesting for 1 second he should be de-listed. I think he has a lot of upside but I don't believe in just gifting him games because of his age

Based purely on form to suggest McGuane should be dropped right now for Griffiths is laughable
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #886 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

Err NO

Drop a bloke who's playing well more importnatly playing his team role extremely well for a bloke who's been struggling to play consistent footy at VFL level

Your right. Griffiths should be delisted without having been given an extended run in the forward line or the senior team in general. In place of McGaune and Jackson will be be grand final winning players.

Not suggesting for 1 second he should be de-listed. I think he has a lot of upside but I don't believe in just gifting him games because of his age

Based purely on form to suggest McGuane should be dropped right now for Griffiths is laughable
I'd rather gift games to guys that I can see have the skill set to be very good players than continue to play guys who will never win us a final. But I guess that's just me. Jackson can have three stinkers and can remain in the team. A guy like Griff was given one lousy game before he was dropped!

Please explain WP!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #887 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »

Err NO

I'd rather gift games to guys that I can see have the skill set to be very good players than continue to play guys who will never win us a final. But I guess that's just me. Jackson can have three stinkers and can remain in the team. A guy like Griff was given one lousy game before he was dropped!

Please explain WP!
Perhaps confidence? Jackson seems to have his head tucked right up in there so he'll continue to fluff it and not care where Griff is young and maybe can't handle dudding it up

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #888 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »

Please explain WP!

Firstly, we are not talking about Jackson. I have not mentioned Jackson in this discussion and don'' intend to because he isn't relevant to it

The discussion originally started by Bents was that McGuane should be dropped solely so Griffiths can play. I argued that McGuane should not be dropped as he is playing his role at the moment and doing it extremely well.

BTW on this point I am pretty sure you agreed with me earlier  ;D

Refer:

Shouldn't come in for someone who is doing the job asked of them. Could come in for Vickery if he continues to play poorly. Keep the big O as our second ruck.
I've always felt that if Griff was given the same opportunities as Ty, he would be an upgrade.

(BTW I agree with your ppint re Vickery)

Bents then throw in the red herring of Jackson which I will repeat is not relevant to this argument/debate. People know my thoughts on the Football Butcher  ;D

This disccussion is about McGuane -v- Griffiths. And I stand by what I wrote which was: currently based on purely on form you cannot drop McGuane. He doesn't deserved to be dropped

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #889 on: May 14, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

Please explain WP!

Firstly, we are not talking about Jackson. I have not mentioned Jackson in this discussion and don'' intend to because he isn't relevant to it

The discussion originally started by Bents was that McGuane should be dropped solely so Griffiths can play. I argued that McGuane should not be dropped as he is playing his role at the moment and doing it extremely well.

BTW on this point I am pretty sure you agreed with me earlier  ;D

Refer:

Shouldn't come in for someone who is doing the job asked of them. Could come in for Vickery if he continues to play poorly. Keep the big O as our second ruck.
I've always felt that if Griff was given the same opportunities as Ty, he would be an upgrade.

(BTW I agree with your ppint re Vickery)

Bents then throw in the red herring of Jackson which I will repeat is not relevant to this argument/debate. People know my thoughts on the Football Butcher  ;D

This disccussion is about McGuane -v- Griffiths. And I stand by what I wrote which was: currently based on purely on form you cannot drop McGuane. He doesn't deserved to be dropped
I know I agreed with you on McGuane. No argument there. I have moved on from that. What I am asking is why we play certain types who can have howlers but don't get dropped (football butcher) but a guy like Griff who has the tools to win us big games has his confidence destroyed by being dropped after one game! A guy like that is worth persisting with because ultimately he is the future. Football butchers are not!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #890 on: May 14, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
I know I agreed with you on McGuane. No argument there. I have moved on from that. What I am asking is why we play certain types who can have howlers but don't get dropped (football butcher) but a guy like Griff who has the tools to win us big games has his confidence destroyed by being dropped after one game! A guy like that is worth persisting with because ultimately he is the future. Football butchers are not!

I cannot explain why certain players continue to get games over others. Have never understood it and probably never will. Clear as day though that all coaches have favourites and it shines like a beacon at the selection table far too often  ;D

Think I was pretty clear after the Geelong game who should have got the chop. Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen this week because those very players (Grigg, Newman) were very good against Port, even Jacko did his job well

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #891 on: May 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
... even Jacko did his job well

WP I think you might find that Jacko has done his job well in most of the games this season.

At last week's player sponsor's dinner, my sponsored player said to me that if Jacko keeps going the way he is going, he is a chance to win the B&F.

Now I have digressed, I completely agree with your comments re: Griffiths.

If there was a spot open in the fwd line, perhaps he might get a game.  But he simply doesnt get enough of the ball. He looks sublime when he has it, but just not enough possessions for me at the moment.

I think Hampson showed him up in defence - he isnt overly quick off the mark and his closing speed that night wasnt great.

If his shoulders would stand up to it, why not try playing him in the ruck at Coburg?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #892 on: May 14, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
surely a players performance at coburg has to be at least as good as the players performance for richmond, that he is replacing?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #893 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
surely a players performance at coburg has to be at least as good as the players performance for richmond, that he is replacing?

Yes, Griff needs to earn it even if it was a but premmy to drop him after r1
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #894 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »

WP I think you might find that Jacko has done his job well in most of the games this season.

At last week's player sponsor's dinner, my sponsored player said to me that if Jacko keeps going the way he is going, he is a chance to win the B&F.

Now I have digressed,

Funny I was at the dinner and got told something similar. All about them doing the roles they are given well. Interesting those dinners finding out what certain players roles are  ;D

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #895 on: May 14, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »

Yes, Griff needs to earn it even if it was a but premmy to drop him after r1
No problems with that if you apply the same rule to everyone.

How many stinkers does Vickery have to play this year before he gets dropped? Some players in the seniors get games gifted to them. Shouldn't they have to earn the right to play senior football too?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #896 on: May 14, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »

Now I have digressed,

Funny I was at the dinner and got told something similar. All about them doing the roles they are given well. Interesting those dinners finding out what certain players roles are  ;D
A new role in football must be butchering the ball. Jacko would be way ahead if that was his role!

Gigantor

« Reply #897 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
Ben needs to find the footy more....simple

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #898 on: May 14, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »

Now I have digressed,

Any chance of finding the plan on Griffiths at one of those dinners WP? 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #899 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
Ben needs to find the footy more....simple

Round 6   4th May   Geelong   Loss 87-131   5   4   9   3   1   0   3   4   0   2   0   2   48   38
Round 5   26th Apr   Fremantle    Loss 80-81   4   6   10   3   2   0   2   0   0   1   0   4   41   46
Round 4   20th Apr   Collingwood   Loss 79-113   8   2   10   3   2   1   1   0   1   1   1   1   52   68

McGaune is hardly bringing his own footy to games...