Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452615 times)

Gigantor

Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1140 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
why do you chuckle?
Are you trying to say there is no development happening at Richmond?

Gigantor

« Reply #1141 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
He did that consistantly Y&B..lol

the claw

« Reply #1142 on: October 26, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »
Perhaps it is clear to not just me *m- the Aaron Edwards / mcgaune third forward structure is inadequate
dont go half way the second tall and third tall set up has been inadequate.
aaron edwards is a medium sized player and should play as such.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1143 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
Shifter said he could be the next Plugger.

He not only has to extract a digit, but his entire fist! :pray

Didn't plugger kick goals though ?

Not from fb

Plugger didn't leave his team with 17 on the field when he played in the forward line though

No but he left plenty of other teams one short  ;D

I would even take that as a sign from Big Benny G if he could manage that at least he would show some mongrel

the claw

« Reply #1144 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
why do you chuckle?
thats a good question especially when it comes to talls we have taken in the nd. perhaps its good material for a thread on the subject.
id say with talls our so called development has been poor.
go back 10 yrs and ask which young  talls we have taken have become very good consistent players.
morrison,  archibald - none left
weller, moore - none left
pattison, mcguane, limbach, - none left as mcguane is gone. mcg played 100 games that were mostly poor and leaves with exactly the same flaws he started with.
thursfield,  hughes - none left.
riewoldt.  - hooray one.
rance, putt.graham. - just one left and he has his knockers.
gourdis, vickery, post. - one left and has failed as a ruckman and has his knockers.
griffiths, astbury, browne. two left bth have done little to date.
grimes, derickx.  - grimes has stagnated and derickx is gone i think.
elton - too early to say has good and poor attributes
mcintosh, mcbean. - see elton.

thats the young tall players we have taken in the last 10 yrs im asking what development.

Gigantor

« Reply #1145 on: October 26, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
so claw ..you are prepared to wipe vickery off as a ruck option ?
Grimes hasn't stagnated for crying out loud he has been injured.
Rance has knockers ,but surely his good points far outweigh his bad,and you have to acknowledge the great strides he has made in ironing out those "Alex Rance moments" as Dimma put them.
I would hardly say mc bean has poor attributes at this stage more underdeveloped attributes.
Since you seem to be going back a few years then surely you must mention the great development that took place in players such as Richo, Benny Gale,Brad Ottens(until he was traded)
And surely k moore was culled by imjury rather than being a poor footballer

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1146 on: October 26, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
Maybe if Rance and Vickery both had a double masectomy in the off season it would transform their careers.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1147 on: October 26, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
why do you chuckle?
thats a good question especially when it comes to talls we have taken in the nd. perhaps its good material for a thread on the subject.
go back 10 yrs and ask which young  talls we have taken have become very good consistent players.
pattison, mcguane, limbach, - none left as mcguane is gone. mcg played 100 games that were mostly poor and leaves with exactly the same flaws he started with.
riewoldt.  - hooray one.
gourdis, vickery, post. - one left and has failed as a ruckman and has his knockers.

thats the young tall players we have taken in the last 10 yrs im asking what development.
Would be interesting to compare our track record with other clubs. At a guess I'd say we wouldn't be worse than most and better than some.
We all know quality talls are a dime a dozen and certainties when taken with early picks ::) ;D ;D

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1148 on: October 26, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
why do you chuckle?
riewoldt.  - hooray one.

Would be interesting to compare our track record with other clubs. At a guess I'd say we wouldn't be worse than most and better than some.
We all know quality talls are a dime a dozen and certainties when taken with early picks ::) ;D ;D

Case in point being Geelong, what quality talls have they developed in the last ten years

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1149 on: October 26, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
ottens  ;D

f / s top 5 pick the got free

pods

;D

the had balls to draft Egan

you dont needs great talls when you have Bartel-Selwood-Corey-Kelly... good signs for richmond?

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1150 on: October 26, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
Isn't that what many posters over a long period of time have suggested..put him up forward and leave him there?

The problem is that he does get to play there. He does nothing so they put him down back so a decent player can lead him to the footy. But the problem with that is that the decent player beats him every time. So I guess the problem is... apart from being able to kick 70m, Griffiths (so far) has shown he is a fairly poo player.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1151 on: October 26, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Isn't that what many posters over a long period of time have suggested..put him up forward and leave him there?

The problem is that he does get to play there. He does nothing so they put him down back so a decent player can lead him to the footy. But the problem with that is that the decent player beats him every time. So I guess the problem is that apart from being able to kick 70m, Griffiths (so far) has shown he is a fairly poo player.

Post of the month  :clapping

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1152 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
At the risk of sounding like Robert Walls - chuck him the ruck where he'll have no choice but to be aggressive and if that doesn't put hairs on his chest, nothing will. 

I also didn't mind the idea of trying him down back for development, but it should've just been for a quarter a game. It's not as if results were ever important at Coburg, and they won't be in the first few years of the stand alone side either.

Personally though, I think we should've traded him this year while KPF's are at a premium - suspect we may have got overs.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1153 on: October 26, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »

The problem is that he does get to play there. He does nothing so they put him down back so a decent player can lead him to the footy. But the problem with that is that the decent player beats him every time. So I guess the problem is... apart from being able to kick 70m, Griffiths (so far) has shown he is a fairly poo player.
:clapping

the claw

« Reply #1154 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
so claw ..you are prepared to wipe vickery off as a ruck option ?
Grimes hasn't stagnated for crying out loud he has been injured.
Rance has knockers ,but surely his good points far outweigh his bad,and you have to acknowledge the great strides he has made in ironing out those "Alex Rance moments" as Dimma put them.
I would hardly say mc bean has poor attributes at this stage more underdeveloped attributes.
Since you seem to be going back a few years then surely you must mention the great development that took place in players such as Richo, Benny Gale,Brad Ottens(until he was traded)
And surely k moore was culled by imjury rather than being a poor footballer
id say the club has wiped vickery of as a ruck option as well. we just gave up pick 28 on hampson. if they had faith in vickery they would back him in. 24yr old 70 odd games should really be hitting his straps as a ruckman around about now. he should at least be able to give ADEQUATE COVER to ivan. yet all we get is well i wont say it. hamson actually has a better record than vickery in the role.
vickery and the word development. well he has not developed as a ruckman. lets hope he makes it as a forward.

imo grimes has stagnated and yes hes had some injuries which may or may not explain why he has not come on. i still think the only way he will make it as a good consistent player is as a tall running defender. the game has progressed beyond third up defenders who do little more than spoil.

rance will continue to have his knockers for as long as he regularly does what he does. sick of naming his weaknesses and the inevitable barrage of abuse that follows. lets just say some rate him some dont.those that do are mainly tiger supporters.
 the club list is in desperate need of a young quality kpd that looks like he will make it.atm if chaplain goes down we are up the creek without a paddle.

mcbean well ive been told on this site a few times now he doesnt take overhead marks when ive called for him to get a game..  people cant have it both ways , hes either the next big thing or he does indeed have weaknesses atm at least, and as such he will have to be developed.
 the club has said they drafted him as a long term ruckman i just dont see it at this stage. im happy to just say its too early to say on him. hes 202 and 86kg it will take probably 3 yrs before he gets to the stage where  he can hold down a kp or compete properly in the ruck.

finally i went back 10 yrs, gale was drafted in 87,  richo  was drafted early 90s, and ottens in 97. how far back do you go. these three are probably the only decent tall players we got to the club as kids and thru the nd since the start of nd in  1986 up to 2002.

kelvin moore i mentioned and he couldnt even gain weight yet alone be developed properly. what a joke 190cm 85kg bloke regularly asked to play kpd. he did play some decent footy at times but he was also inconsistent injured and poor a lot of the time as well.