Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452628 times)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1290 on: February 15, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
Should be played as third forward before Edwards and ruckman forward before Hampson.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

« Reply #1291 on: February 15, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
Just get him to take it out of the centre bounce and hoof it 70 and sack the midfield

All the money saved can go into a new bar at punt road

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1292 on: February 15, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
Great game  :bow

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1293 on: February 15, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
When he rucked at a throw in, he has happy to take back position and try and reach over the top of their ruckman. Didn't want to fight for front possi because he is as weak as water.
IMO he will not make it.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1294 on: February 15, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »
Great game  :bow

Career high possessions. Get around him.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1295 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
He kicked a nice goal but dont judge a team thats going in half hearted. Nab Cup is just a training run  ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1296 on: February 17, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
Played a good game. Could have kicked half a dozen if he took his chances. Looked surprisingly good in the ruck too. May make it yet

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1297 on: February 17, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »

When he rucked at a throw in, he has happy to take back position and try and reach over the top of their ruckman. Didn't want to fight for front possi because he is as weak as water.
IMO he will not make it.

Yeo. Long history of ruck work the Griff. I was expecting his ruck work to be akin to Polly farmer  in his first go at it

:facepalm

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1298 on: February 18, 2014, 07:05:55 AM »
IMO he will not make it.

Yeo. Long history of ruck work the Griff. I was expecting his ruck work to be akin to Polly farmer  in his first go at it

Ruck work 101, fight for front position at a boundary throw in, that way you may have a chance of getting your hand first to the pill. You don't have to have played in the ruck all your life to know that.
Even trying to get to the front would have been good enough, but happy to play from behind IMO isn't. Just my take, you obviously saw it different?
Does anyone else think we cut these guys to much slack on just the simple things of AFL footy. Some seem to think just because they haven't racked up 100 games of AFL that they don't know anything about it. Most kids have played for 10 years before they even hit an AFL list. And for the last 4 of those years, if they are any good, they get some pretty good coaching through the systems. Unlike days gone by. Expecting a 200cm, 100kg kid to fight for front position is not asking to much!!

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1299 on: February 18, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
Agree with comments should play as third tall. Glad played well on Friday but the real test is when the season starts.

tony_montana

« Reply #1300 on: February 18, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »
IMO he will not make it.

Ruck work 101, fight for front position at a boundary throw in, that way you may have a chance of getting your hand first to the pill. You don't have to have played in the ruck all your life to know that.
Even trying to get to the front would have been good enough, but happy to play from behind IMO isn't. Just my take, you obviously saw it different?
Does anyone else think we cut these guys to much slack on just the simple things of AFL footy. Some seem to think just because they haven't racked up 100 games of AFL that they don't know anything about it. Most kids have played for 10 years before they even hit an AFL list. And for the last 4 of those years, if they are any good, they get some pretty good coaching through the systems. Unlike days gone by. Expecting a 200cm, 100kg kid to fight for front position is not asking to much!!

Ive noticed especially with our supporters that its either black or white, they are either cut way too much slack by supporters, or, they are stamped as soft duds from day dot

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1301 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Not sure if it would be supporters in general, but amongst those that come on the interweb there definitely does seem to be a trend for that
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #1302 on: February 18, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
i got the idea from a poster many yrs ago who had done the homework  of time frames for each type.  it seemed to run true in most cases so i have applied it myself and it still seems to run true most of the time.
 its a loose guide of when players of differing sizes click. of course there are many variables some are players coming from different back grounds ie basketball as a junior. size hamish hartlett was always going to be a very good player at worst but he was going to take longer to click than most because he was 6o comething kg wringing wet when drafted. mcbean will take time to really hit his straps in certain areas. it may be hes 24 before we see something close to his full potential.  players must have enough good attributes as well  you know all the basics are there.
anyway it goes
smalls by 20
medium/tall by  22.
talls above 195 by 24.
all players if circumstances permit should show some sort of improvement each yr as they go. it isnt a hard process to go thru and it gives a general idea of when players should have for want of a better word clicked.

its this process combined with a few other things that rarely sees me call for a players head inside of 4 yrs. if there hasnt been enough improvement or they have too many weaknesses i certainly criticise as they go  but i tend to give em plenty of time before calling for a cull.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1303 on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
i got the idea from a poster many yrs ago who had done the homework  of time frames for each type.  it seemed to run true in most cases so i have applied it myself and it still seems to run true most of the time.
 its a loose guide of when players of differing sizes click. of course there are many variables some are players coming from different back grounds ie basketball as a junior. size hamish hartlett was always going to be a very good player at worst but he was going to take longer to click than most because he was 6o comething kg wringing wet when drafted. mcbean will take time to really hit his straps in certain areas. it may be hes 24 before we see something close to his full potential.  players must have enough good attributes as well  you know all the basics are there.
anyway it goes
smalls by 20
medium/tall by  22.
talls above 195 by 24.
all players if circumstances permit should show some sort of improvement each yr as they go. it isnt a hard process to go thru and it gives a general idea of when players should have for want of a better word clicked.

its this process combined with a few other things that rarely sees me call for a players head inside of 4 yrs. if there hasnt been enough improvement or they have too many weaknesses i certainly criticise as they go  but i tend to give em plenty of time before calling for a cull.
Did you see any improvement in Ben from just the one practice game?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

gerkin greg

« Reply #1304 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
joe daniher had 7 touches and kicked 2 goals and has been hailed as a messiah, a superstar, a gun, the next simon madden, and been handed a lucrative clearasil endorsement

griff not far behind then, someone call regaine  :cheers :clapping