Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452623 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1830 on: June 15, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
Reports are he s holding out on re signing a contract with RFC with a bit of interest about from rivals  :shh

Give me a break
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #1831 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
if shaun hampson can garner pick 28 after 7 yrs of nothing at age 26, surely griffiths after just 4 yrs of nothing and the ripe old age of 22 can garner a pick 20 - 25. trouble is theres a good pool of talls this draft.

geez pick 3, 21, 25, 39, 57. a good recruiting team could do some real damage with those sort of picks. im already drooling at the prospect. throw in a good psd pick and one or two free agents and things could be turned around quite quickly.

Reports are he s holding out on re signing a contract with RFC with a bit of interest about from rivals  :shh
If this is true, what do rival teams see in him that many here do not?

I certainly can see it.
My guess is given the career about face turnarounds of sarge and matt white at another level, clubs will all be thinking sheesh , the only way is up after a stint at tigerland, I think most would be amazed at the interest griff and particularly Tv would generate. Vickery is very agile, most would see him as a permanent ruck
lol vickery wont make it as a ruckman. pea hearts struggle in that role.
its not his attributes or his ability its the lack of ticker mongrel heart call it what you want but vickery is weak as pee.
weather it comes back to bite you or not sometimes you have to make a hard call. we should be looking to trade vickery 6 yrs in and he looks further away than ever.
 ffs griffiths was very close to being cut last yr after doing absolutely nothing at afl level. even this yr his best has been hardly passable.
its maybe one yr too early to cut him but id be up for trading him. just as long as we targeted a well credentialled tall fwd kid  to replace him.  how about griffiths to gws and jaksch to us.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1832 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

Give me a break

He'd be lucky to have an AFL career when his current contract is up yet the suitors are lining up.  :ROTFL

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1833 on: June 15, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
I can see some coaches thinking they have something to work with..

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1834 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »

Give me a break

He'd be lucky to have an AFL career when his current contract is up yet the suitors are lining up.  :ROTFL
Well so far he s prob achieved about as much as sarge ever did at RFC and he s a chance for the Coleman this year.....still laughing  ::) :wallywink :banghead :whistle
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1835 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »

Give me a break

Well so far he s prob achieved about as much as sarge ever did at RFC and he s a chance for the Coleman this year.....still laughing  ::) :wallywink :banghead :whistle

When reading your posts I'll never stop. ;D
The original post is drivel at best and then to counteract the drivel you present something that has nothing remotely to do with what we are originally talking about. Would shudder to think if there is any source you get your mail from and what source it would be. Keep playing that card its getting tiresome. Anyway keep up the good work and I hope Jack wins a third Coleman. :thumbsup

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1836 on: June 16, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »
Claw,

unfortunately we can't trade with ourselves otherwise we'd easily get pick 20-25 for anyone we wanted.   ;D

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1837 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
Melbourne Vixens are interested in signing him up for there mixed team on Tuesday Nights

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1838 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Will  do some damage at a freo or port

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1839 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
I think the harsh reality about Ben Griffiths is he isn't very good. We all want him to be but.....
He is tall and strong and can kick the footy a long way but he doesn't have the desire to make it as a decent AFL footballer.
The club finally realized it with J. Post a few years back and I recon they will with Ben at the end of this year.
I personally think Post was a better footballer the Ben.
This game is tough, Ben Griffiths just doesn't have what it takes IMO.

Agree eight posts are enough
FO

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1840 on: June 16, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Griffiths doesn't win enough of the footy.  I remember reading when we recruited him that he averaged sub 10 possessions a game at junior level as well. His reserve performances have been at this level.  Great long kick but if you can't hold a mark as a key tall, I can't see a future. 

Maybe you could give him another year if you could get him to do some weights and get some muscle in his upper body so that he could hold his marks.  If you thought his frame could fill out. He is not quick or athletic enough to get the ball on the lead.

If another club offered something for Griffiths, you would have to take it.  Sarge was a good player at Richmond that was played out of position and had to take what scraps Richo left for him.  He looked exciting but never peaked at the tigers.  I don't get a sense of excitement when I watch Griffiths, I don't get much of anything at all.  Two possessions in a game of footy when you know your position is on the line is awful.

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #1841 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
If another club offered something for Griffiths, you would have to take it.  Sarge was a good player at Richmond that was played out of position and had to take what scraps Richo left for him.  He looked exciting but never peaked at the tigers.  I don't get a sense of excitement when I watch Griffiths, I don't get much of anything at all.  Two possessions in a game of footy when you know your position is on the line is awful.

Yeah he's been disappointing for sure. Remember the season Schulz spent at half back and even though played out of position he had a couple of 20+ possession games. Alternatively Griffiths inability to find the ball has been as you say a problem for a long time. His season high disposals this year is 11 from 10 games. He averages just over 7 after 5 years on the list..Just not enough.
Is it fitness or lack of hunger for the contest? Leaning towards the latter unfortunately..

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1842 on: June 16, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
Griffiths doesn't win enough of the footy.  I remember reading when we recruited him that he averaged sub 10 possessions a game at junior level as well. His reserve performances have been at this level.  Great long kick but if you can't hold a mark as a key tall, I can't see a future. 

Maybe you could give him another year if you could get him to do some weights and get some muscle in his upper body so that he could hold his marks.  If you thought his frame could fill out. He is not quick or athletic enough to get the ball on the lead.

What are your thoughts on his contested marking, tackles, pressure acts? How many possession are you expecting per game given his size/age and the fact he's been thrown around forward/backmiddle ones/ttwos?

Do you believe he has the potential to do well for a hawthron or Geelong?

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1843 on: June 16, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
The problem is with the midfielders who constantly twist & turn & kick sideways & just dont move the ball quickly enough. The forwards have no chance to lead & thats why they are caught at the back of the pack. You have players like Foley who just want to run out of the centre to do it all on his own which he gets right once every few seasons l think maybe 4 times for memory.

There lays the problem of not scoring goals & why Jack only has 35 to date.

When you have 200 cm players reaching fingertip to mark a ball is another problem & another problem is our smaller players allows the opposition to gang up on our forwards & block their lead & have done for a decade. You don't have to be a  clever forward coach to work that out. Just have to be at the game to watch it unfold outside of the camera view.

We have the tools but they are not being shown how to play properly

the claw

« Reply #1844 on: June 16, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Will  do some damage at a freo or port
please elaborate judge. we have a 4 year sample and there is absolutely nothing to suggest at afl he will do some serious damage.
if a club were to pick him up the risk factor would be exactly the same sort of risk we took with hampson.
if he leaves and manages to turn things around so be it.  our focus should be on if he goes finding a better propusition. that should not be hard based on what hes dished up to date.

when this club is finally  prepared to take the risk of letting what may become a decent player go to find hopefully better then we will start to find real improvement.

for  starters the club needs to stop proclaiming players before they have done a thing. our supporters would not be so bitter if they did the same thing.