Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452601 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2055 on: August 18, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
I'd be happy to give him 2 years at a lowish wage.

Kid is clearly about to come into his own a la Hawkins.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2056 on: August 18, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
Robbo - Your thoughts on Ben Griffiths - Worth another contract?

Mark Robinson - Yes, can't cut him now. Put too much time into him...Thought his final quarter was strong.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/check-out-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-21-plus-the-tweets-of-the-week/story-fndv7pj3-1227027657780

the claw

« Reply #2057 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
2 months ago most here wanted to get rid of him.
I did and if he leaves I wouldn't loose 1 minute of sleep.
He played ok on Saturday night but let's not get carried away. Still yet to be in our best players.
His good is passable but his average is putrid still.
A 1 year contract on a low base and higher match payments is all they should offer considering his first 6 years on our list.
IMO it's his turn to put faith in himself and his ability rather than us to have to show the faith.
100% agree. griffiths is still all potential that the supporters gleefully buy into but in fact has to date produced very little substance with a huge chasm between his best and worst.his best so far has been barely passable. with as you say his worst just deplorable.

even if we keep all three of vickery, griffiths and mcbean all ruck fwd types, which i have regularly said that  i believe there is no need for three of such similar type and role, yep in keeping all 3  we must imo look to add to the list and get our hands on a gunston  type lamb or kietel,  and   a cloke walker  type.
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2058 on: August 18, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
Is McBean a ruck-FWD is he? Didn't know he played ruck at all.

Stephenson is too old now. Hampson is terrible. I'd be using Maric, Griffiths and Vickery only. Hampson as backup/VFL player.

IMO Griffiths > Vickery. Vickery doesn't compete in the air, whereas Griffiths takes more and better marks, and can boot a wet ball 60+ meters.

If you insist on trading one, trade Vickery. I think we've seen his potential. I think Griffiths has some improvement in him.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2059 on: August 18, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
He played ok on Saturday night but let's not get carried away. Still yet to be in our best players.
A 1 year contract on a low base and higher match payments is all they should offer considering his first 6 years on our list.
IMO it's his turn to put faith in himself and his ability rather than us to have to show the faith.
100% agree. griffiths is still all potential that the supporters gleefully buy into but in fact has to date produced very little substance with a huge chasm between his best and worst.his best so far has been barely passable. with as you say his worst just deplorable.

even if we keep all three of vickery, griffiths and mcbean all ruck fwd types, which i have regularly said that  i believe there is no need for three of such similar type and role, yep in keeping all 3  we must imo look to add to the list and get our hands on a gunston  type lamb or kietel,  and   a cloke walker  type.
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.
Seriously claw, Ben is exactly the player you would want us to target if he was playing at another team. Your summary would be something like this..."We should be looking at guys with good football skills who haven't been given a chance at their club.  Someone like Ben Griffiths.  The guy is 200cm tall, a good contested mark and a thumping 70m kick.  He is also competent when the ball hits the ground. Hasn't been given much opportunity at his club because others have been played ahead of him. Is still only 22 but has only played 32 games. Has been played all over the place as he was a forward as a junior and was initially moulded as a backman at his current club.  Looks good in the ruck switching up forward. He would be perfect for us and probably wouldn't cost us much."
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2060 on: August 18, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »

22 years old, just starting to click after 4 years development and you'd trade Griff for a pick around the mark we selected him at?
Madness.
Thought you might have learned something after Schulz. Evidently not.

the claw

« Reply #2061 on: August 18, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »

Stephenson is too old now. Hampson is terrible. I'd be using Maric, Griffiths and Vickery only. Hampson as backup/VFL player.

IMO Griffiths > Vickery. Vickery doesn't compete in the air, whereas Griffiths takes more and better marks, and can boot a wet ball 60+ meters.

If you insist on trading one, trade Vickery. I think we've seen his potential. I think Griffiths has some improvement in him.
if the club is to be believed they think his future role is ruckman. they sure as hell drafted him for the ruck role but his size has meant they have had to play him fwd for the moment.

my preference would be to trade vickery but hes contracted for another two or is it three freakin yrs. griffiths is out of contract.

Seriously claw, Ben is exactly the player you would want us to target if he was playing at another team. Your summary would be something like this..."We should be looking at guys with good football skills who haven't been given a chance at their club.  Someone like Ben Griffiths.  The guy is 200cm tall, a good contested mark and a thumping 70m kick.  He is also competent when the ball hits the ground. Hasn't been given much opportunity at his club because others have been played ahead of him. Is still only 22 but has only played 32 games. Has been played all over the place as he was a forward as a junior and was initially moulded as a backman at his current club.  Looks good in the ruck switching up forward. He would be perfect for us and probably wouldn't cost us much."
hes been given every opportunity. ffs he hasnt performed well even at reserves level and that is the main reason why hes played so few games.  . his situation reminds me very much of hampsons at carlton and now us. under performing is indeed an under statement.
its unbelieveable the way people talk up barely passable games if he could get us a top 15 pick id do it asap. from what i read around here we have the messiahs in mcbean and vickery this makes him expendable.

me i cant say with any confidence at all that griffiths will improve,  hes performed poorly, we have plenty of his type and thuis his role covered  and thank Geez id say he still has value as id say other clubs like a lot of people around here see glimpses of [potential. i think that is all we are gunna get little cameos and glimpses.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2062 on: August 18, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »

if the club is to be believed they think his future role is ruckman. they sure as hell drafted him for the ruck role but his size has meant they have had to play him fwd for the moment.

my preference would be to trade vickery but hes contracted for another two or is it three freakin yrs. griffiths is out of contract.

hes been given every opportunity. ffs he hasnt performed well even at reserves level and that is the main reason why hes played so few games.  . his situation reminds me very much of hampsons at carlton and now us. under performing is indeed an under statement.
its unbelieveable the way people talk up barely passable games if he could get us a top 15 pick id do it asap. from what i read around here we have the messiahs in mcbean and vickery this makes him expendable.

me i cant say with any confidence at all that griffiths will improve,  hes performed poorly, we have plenty of his type and thuis his role covered  and thank Geez id say he still has value as id say other clubs like a lot of people around here see glimpses of [potential. i think that is all we are gunna get little cameos and glimpses.
His performances in 2012 as a backman were reasonable. Played the majority of the season. Last season was given one game and banished. He lost confidence and belief. This year he has been more than handy. If you can't see that you are blind. Is right up there in the whole league for contested marks. His last few games have been strong. Gives Maric a chop out in the ruck and has booted some important goals. He is a very handy big man.
Not sure what else you want for a 22 y.o. 200cm player.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2063 on: August 18, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »

His performances in 2012 as a backman were reasonable. Played the majority of the season. Last season was given one game and banished. He lost confidence and belief. This year he has been more than handy. If you can't see that you are blind. Is right up there in the whole league for contested marks. His last few games have been strong. Gives Maric a chop out in the ruck and has booted some important goals. He is a very handy big man.

Totally disagree. Worth persisting with. Has a the ability to take a contested mark and his ability to kick long distances accurately sets him apart from others.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2064 on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »

Totally disagree. Worth persisting with. Has a the ability to take a contested mark and his ability to kick long distances accurately sets him apart from others.
???Sounds like you agree with me????

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2065 on: August 18, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
Thing is, if he were at the bombers, his recent form, height, leg and leap would warrant Richmond "looking into" his availability.

Point being we have him !
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2066 on: August 18, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
I know he's been on the list for a few years (5 after this seasons done)

But didn't he miss a fair whack of his first 2 seasons because of injury?

Personally at a minimum I consider his first season and a half as write offs because of injury.

I am not sure how anyone can say he's been given "every opportunity" when the longest stretch of consecutive games he's had is what 6 perhaps 7?

Yes there are things he needs to improve but gee for a 200cm bloke who can kick 60+ metres without much effort, good contested mark there is a lot and I mean a lot of upside.

His game on Saturday night was very good (haven't watched the replay just going by what I saw on the night) but I reckon his final qtr on Saturday night was excellent. If folks aren't prepared to acknowledge that then there's no point in debating his worth at all IMHO.

Thing is, if he were at the bombers, his recent form, height, leg and leap would warrant Richmond "looking into" his availability.

Point being we have him !

Exactly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2067 on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
Exactly! ^ ;D

An opportunity to show how they have learnt from the Jay Schulz incident
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2068 on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
Exactly! ^ ;D

Once painted into a corner, some can't see a way out. I do see small signs of leaving a small path out though. Let hope Ben repays our faith and makes them take it.

Btw to me Mcbean doesn't seem to be a ruck/fwd. Have they been playing him there or just because he is tall its assumed he for the Ruck?
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2069 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
Exactly! ^ ;D

Once painted into a corner, some can't see a way out. I do see small signs of leaving a small path out though. Let hope Ben repays our faith and makes them take it.

Btw to me Mcbean doesn't seem to be a ruck/fwd. Have they been playing him there or just because he is tall its assumed he for the Ruck?

Exactly the point I have made in the past, just because someone is tall doesnt mean they are a ruck, I seriously believe jake King would have done better in the ruck than Hampson