Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452636 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2070 on: August 18, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Five years.

Four point something, as this season isn't over  :shh

Some might say four full seasons isn't  that long a time span,for a guy   6'6
My mistake, 5 years. There is two games left  :thumbsup

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2071 on: August 18, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
Five years.

Four point something, as this season isn't over  :shh

Some might say four full seasons isn't  that long a time span,for a guy   6'6
My mistake, 5 years. There is two games left  :thumbsup
Two of which have been destroyed by injury…...
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2072 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Why the stuff would anyone want to trade Griffiths? 
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2073 on: August 18, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
right
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2074 on: August 18, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
Is McBean a ruck-FWD is he? Didn't know he played ruck at all.

Stephenson is too old now. Hampson is terrible. I'd be using Maric, Griffiths and Vickery only. Hampson as backup/VFL player.

IMO Griffiths > Vickery. Vickery doesn't compete in the air, whereas Griffiths takes more and better marks, and can boot a wet ball 60+ meters.

If you insist on trading one, trade Vickery. I think we've seen his potential. I think Griffiths has some improvement in him.
if the club is to be believed they think his future role is ruckman. they sure as hell drafted him for the ruck role but his size has meant they have had to play him fwd for the moment.

my preference would be to trade vickery but hes contracted for another two or is it three freakin yrs. griffiths is out of contract.

2 months ago most here wanted to get rid of him.
I did and if he leaves I wouldn't loose 1 minute of sleep.
He played ok on Saturday night but let's not get carried away. Still yet to be in our best players.
His good is passable but his average is putrid still.
A 1 year contract on a low base and higher match payments is all they should offer considering his first 6 years on our list.
IMO it's his turn to put faith in himself and his ability rather than us to have to show the faith.
100% agree. griffiths is still all potential that the supporters gleefully buy into but in fact has to date produced very little substance with a huge chasm between his best and worst.his best so far has been barely passable. with as you say his worst just deplorable.

even if we keep all three of vickery, griffiths and mcbean all ruck fwd types, which i have regularly said that  i believe there is no need for three of such similar type and role, yep in keeping all 3  we must imo look to add to the list and get our hands on a gunston  type lamb or kietel,  and   a cloke walker  type.
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.
Seriously claw, Ben is exactly the player you would want us to target if he was playing at another team. Your summary would be something like this..."We should be looking at guys with good football skills who haven't been given a chance at their club.  Someone like Ben Griffiths.  The guy is 200cm tall, a good contested mark and a thumping 70m kick.  He is also competent when the ball hits the ground. Hasn't been given much opportunity at his club because others have been played ahead of him. Is still only 22 but has only played 32 games. Has been played all over the place as he was a forward as a junior and was initially moulded as a backman at his current club.  Looks good in the ruck switching up forward. He would be perfect for us and probably wouldn't cost us much."
hes been given every opportunity. ffs he hasnt performed well even at reserves level and that is the main reason why hes played so few games.  . his situation reminds me very much of hampsons at carlton and now us. under performing is indeed an under statement.
its unbelieveable the way people talk up barely passable games if he could get us a top 15 pick id do it asap. from what i read around here we have the messiahs in mcbean and vickery this makes him expendable.

me i cant say with any confidence at all that griffiths will improve,  hes performed poorly, we have plenty of his type and thuis his role covered  and thank Geez id say he still has value as id say other clubs like a lot of people around here see glimpses of [potential. i think that is all we are gunna get little cameos and glimpses.
His performances in 2012 as a backman were reasonable. Played the majority of the season. Last season was given one game and banished. He lost confidence and belief. This year he has been more than handy. If you can't see that you are blind. Is right up there in the whole league for contested marks. His last few games have been strong. Gives Maric a chop out in the ruck and has booted some important goals. He is a very handy big man.
Not sure what else you want for a 22 y.o. 200cm player.

Totally disagree. Worth persisting with. Has a the ability to take a contested mark and his ability to kick long distances accurately sets him apart from others.
???Sounds like you agree with me????

Sorry agree with you. Do not agree with Claw

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2075 on: August 18, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
I know he's been on the list for a few years (5 after this seasons done)

But didn't he miss a fair whack of his first 2 seasons because of injury?

Personally at a minimum I consider his first season and a half as write offs because of injury.

I am not sure how anyone can say he's been given "every opportunity" when the longest stretch of consecutive games he's had is what 6 perhaps 7?

Yes there are things he needs to improve but gee for a 200cm bloke who can kick 60+ metres without much effort, good contested mark there is a lot and I mean a lot of upside.

His game on Saturday night was very good (haven't watched the replay just going by what I saw on the night) but I reckon his final qtr on Saturday night was excellent. If folks aren't prepared to acknowledge that then there's no point in debating his worth at all IMHO.

Thing is, if he were at the bombers, his recent form, height, leg and leap would warrant Richmond "looking into" his availability.

Point being we have him !

Exactly

:clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2076 on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.

22 years old, just starting to click after 4 years development and you'd trade Griff for a pick around the mark we selected him at?
Madness.
Thought you might have learned something after Schulz. Evidently not.
Let's be honest the comparison shouldn't  be with Schulz it should be against Cleve Hughes. Schulz always had the ability, he just needed to work harder.
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date. Let's not keep every KPF just because one came good after he left us.
My point is he has done sweet FA so don't reward that with a big contract. Give him 1 years and if he is any good and earns a better contract then all good for all. And if he wants to walk then all good too, we might get a decent pick for him.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2077 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »

22 years old, just starting to click after 4 years development and you'd trade Griff for a pick around the mark we selected him at?
Madness.
Let's be honest the comparison should with Schulz it should be against Cleve Hughes. Schulz always had the ability, he just needed to work harder.
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date. Let's not keep every KPF just because one came good after he left us.
My point is he has done sweet FA so don't reward that with a big contract. Give him 1 years and if he is any good and earns a better contract then all good for all. And if he wants to walk then all good too, we might get a decent pick for him.
TBH I can't remember Cleve playing like Ben has in the last two weeks.  Cleve was a totally different player. He was purely a lead up forward. Nowhere near as versatile as Ben. Did Cleve play in the ruck and down back?  I seriously can only remember him in the forward zone.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2078 on: August 18, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date.

Disagree. Different types but Griffiths has shown oodles more potential than Hughes. Cleve was a one trick pony.
Griffiths has shown the ability to play back, forward and in the ruck.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2079 on: August 18, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »

Madness.
Let's be honest the comparison should with Schulz it should be against Cleve Hughes. Schulz always had the ability, he just needed to work harder.
TBH I can't remember Cleve playing like Ben has in the last two weeks.  Cleve was a totally different player. He was purely a lead up forward. Nowhere near as versatile as Ben. Did Cleve play in the ruck and down back?  I seriously can only remember him in the forward zone.
What has versatility got to do with anything? It's about output!  :banghead
Cleave was a KPF and so is Griff.
Cleave kicked about 6 or 7 in game against Port one day, Biff cannot even get in our best players.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2080 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date.

Disagree. Different types but Griffiths has shown oodles more potential than Hughes. Cleve was a one trick pony.
Griffiths has shown the ability to play back, forward and in the ruck.
:lol
Biff has shown the ability to get two touches in an entire game.
He played a roll on Saturday night and nothing more. He has shown potential in short spurts but I would hardly say he has made it.
A 1 year deal at best.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2081 on: August 18, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »

Madness.
Cleave kicked about 6 or 7 in game against Port one day, Biff cannot even get in our best players.
Versatility has a lot to do with it. How can you say that Cleve kicked 6 or 7 in one game while Griff has rarely played in that role. You cannot kick 7 from the backline (2012) and it's pretty hard to do when 80% of the kicks into our forward line are directed to Jack.  Even Jack is finding it hard to kick more than 2 goals per game and all the kicks are going to him!!!!
The game has changed since Cleve played too. Forwards just don't kick big bags frequently anymore. Just look at the Coleman leaderboard and the average goals per game of the top players.
Griff contributes in other ways. He helped win the game on Saturday night. He kicked ten percent of our goals and the goal that put us in front was from a booming kick from the centre into the dangerous position at the top of the goal square where it made its way to Gordon who snapped truly.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2082 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
should model part of his game on brad ottens's
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2083 on: August 18, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »

Madness.
Versatility has a lot to do with it. How can you say that Cleve kicked 6 or 7 in one game while Griff has rarely played in that role. You cannot kick 7 from the backline (2012) and it's pretty hard to do when 80% of the kicks into our forward line are directed to Jack.  Even Jack is finding it hard to kick more than 2 goals per game and all the kicks are going to him!!!!
The game has changed since Cleve played too. Forwards just don't kick big bags frequently anymore. Just look at the Coleman leaderboard and the average goals per game of the top players.
Griff contributes in other ways. He helped win the game on Saturday night. He kicked ten percent of our goals and the goal that put us in front was from a booming kick from the centre into the dangerous position at the top of the goal square where it made its way to Gordon who snapped truly.
You are clearly an intelligent man doing what you do but seriously you go on with a lot of crap. I'm sorry but I just shake my head at times at what you post. No offense  :shh
Anyone would think  Biff has been a star the way you are going on. Give it a rest man!

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2084 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »
At 22 and 200cm i would say the best of Griff is ahead of him, we have seen how the KPPs take longer to develop and most don't reach their peak until 24/25. So basically do you try and recruit a player at his peak and then pay top dollar and in addition lose some players   to get him or do you draft a Griff type player early and just help him to grow into the player you want him to be.

I firmly believe patience is the key here and whilst it might upset a few i think perseverance is imperative otherwise he becomes another clubs gain and we end up the loser again. An analogy might be buying stockmarket shares, yes they have their ups and downs but ultimately in the majority of cases over the long term you get your money back and more, panic and sell when the market dips and not only do you do your money but you also miss out on further gains.

Griff's improvement is incremental, he wont become a champion overnight but i still believe the glimpses he has shown should provide people with enough confidence to stick by him and get some reward in the future for the club's investment to date.