Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452617 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2175 on: September 01, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
Just have to ask when is he going to start kicking goals? For our second tall kicking less than 1 a game isn't good enough IMO

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2176 on: September 01, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Just have to ask when is he going to start kicking goals? For our second tall kicking less than 1 a game isn't good enough IMO
If he creates goal that is good enough for me. Gave one off to Jack in the first quarter. Kick over the zone in the first resulted in a goal to Jack too when Richards fumbled going back with the flight.
The guy creates goals with his long kicking. He does kick them too though and he kicks them under pressure. I remember he kicked one 55m out on the boundary at Etihad this year against the Doggies to put us within a goal of them deep in the last quarter.

Don't forget he is also spending significant chunks of the game in the ruck and he often goes down back in that role.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2177 on: September 01, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »

They seem to be playing him very much up the wings at present and clearing out the forward line. I think this is a definite strategy to either isolate Jack, Cotch or Dusty or to allow space for our midfielders to run into. Griff is really being used as a transitional/link player. If they play him deep and he found space to leap he would cause all sorts of problems though.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2178 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
Ralphy tweeted that Dan Richardson says they are close to doing a deal with Griff.  Astbury too.

Superb.

Would consider trading Vickery and Grimes if we could get maybe 2nd round picks.

Anything less I'd rather keep them. Would be great if we could find a way for Jack, Griff and Vickery to all play in the F50. All 3 are exceptional at ground level for their heights. I'd even be happy for Griff and Jack to play up the wing a bit more. Griff's marking/long kicking and Jack's inside 50 delivery are sensational.
TRADE GRIMES??????? IMVHO he is finally coming good, to trade Grimes would be a tragedy, he is excellent, second efforts fantastic, speed and play reading very good. I would like to know who you would consider we would get for him. He is on my do not trade list

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2179 on: September 01, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
& what happens when Griffiths breaks down & we don't have another good option like Vickery to back the others up. We need to keep all of them. need to fine tune the skills of some players.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2180 on: September 01, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »

They seem to be playing him very much up the wings at present and clearing out the forward line. I think this is a definite strategy to either isolate Jack, Cotch or Dusty or to allow space for our midfielders to run into. Griff is really being used as a transitional/link player. If they play him deep and he found space to leap he would cause all sorts of problems though.

He does go deep at times for a rest and that's when he goes missing when really it would be nice for him to kick a few goals. Don't want to detract from what has been a good few weeks for the big fella who continues to improve, but if it wasn't for his abnormally long kick he wouldn't contribute to so many goals and I feel he still needs to get involved more a kick a few more.

the claw

« Reply #2181 on: September 01, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
If he creates goal that is good enough for me. Gave one off to Jack in the first quarter. Kick over the zone in the first resulted in a goal to Jack too when Richards fumbled going back with the flight.
The guy creates goals with his long kicking. He does kick them too though and he kicks them under pressure. I remember he kicked one 55m out on the boundary at Etihad this year against the Doggies to put us within a goal of them deep in the last quarter.

Don't forget he is also spending significant chunks of the game in the ruck and he often goes down back in that role.
if hes spending significant amounts of time in the ruck and being freed up he should be getting a significant amount more ball.
look ithought he had a decent game against sydney but ffs he needs to ge his hands on the ball much more and he needs to hit the scoreboard.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2182 on: September 01, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Notable that it was said (by Jack I think) that Vickery is training the house down and is very eager to get back into the team.
Maybe with Big Gun Ben Griffith halting his automatic place, cruising in the forward line and half hearted efforts in the ruck Ty might get back to being a ruckman who has to work for a living.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2183 on: September 01, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
Was very important in the first quarter getting 6 touches but fell away after that to finish the game with 11. Even thought he chased well early but seemed to lumber around after that first quarter.
5 touches of the footy in 3 quarters isn't great. At least he had a tackle this week.
Also thought his decision making in that first quarter wasn't great. Kicked long to Gordon one on one in the pocket when he should have kicked it to 20 out from goal.
Also had Petterd short on another occasion but bombed it long again. Needs to pick when it's time to use that long kick.
Is definitely improving but unlike some still think he is a long way away from cementing his spot. The fact that Dimma is even talking about him means he feels the same.
We need him this week for an entire game otherwise it's like we play one short for big periods of the game. A few goals would be nice too.  :gotigers

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2184 on: September 01, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »

He does go deep at times for a rest and that's when he goes missing when really it would be nice for him to kick a few goals. Don't want to detract from what has been a good few weeks for the big fella who continues to improve, but if it wasn't for his abnormally long kick he wouldn't contribute to so many goals and I feel he still needs to get involved more a kick a few more.

Had to read that again, for a minute I thought you were talking about Robbie Nahas!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2185 on: September 01, 2014, 10:08:17 PM »
Had to read that again, for a minute I thought you were talking about Robbie Nahas!

:lol  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths on RSN
« Reply #2186 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Richmond were great on Saturday afternoon, overcoming ladder-leaders Sydney, to win their ninth straight game, booking a spot in the finals. The Tigers' Ben Griffiths joins Chrisso & McGuane for a chat about the win.

AUDIO: https://soundcloud.com/rsn-racing/ben-griffiths-richmond-tigers-afl

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“He’s athletic, he’s 200cm, he can run, he can kick it a mile . . . he’s just got that belief he’s now an AFL-quality player, and we’re very happy that he’s started to find that form because he’s really important to us.  ‘Griff’ has obviously secured a spot . . . absolutely.  Ty is a selection decision we’ll make.  Griff, to his credit, has played consistent footy since Ty’s gone out.  Once you’re in the side, it’s hard to go out, if you’re playing a good, consistent brand of footy.” - Damien Hardwick.

* I’ve put in a lot of hard work, so to get that sort of feedback from coach Hardwick is really good to hear. I’ve been thrown around a bit.  I’ve played down back and now I think I’ve started to secure that spot in the ruck/forward role which really suits me I think.

* Over the pre-season, I worked really hard with Choco and did extra sessions after training, just working on one-on-one stuff, which is where I needed to improve my game.  I just found that if I based my game on that, the rest sort of came. Without putting on too much more weight, I sort of got stronger.  I think I matured a bit into my body and obviously being able to have the consistent training over the pre-season’s really helped me do that.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-09-02/big-ben-making-up-for-lost-time

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2187 on: September 02, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »

If Bradman wasnt so good at making runs he would not even have that high an average

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2188 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »

If Bradman wasnt so good at making runs he would not even have that high an average
Not your best work Judge.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2189 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
Do you get the point?

To judge on non existant hypotheticals is pretty rough on griff

Like saying if cotchin wasnt good at getting the ball he wouldnt be as good