Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452611 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2235 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »
For me his lack of goals shows me his lack of influence when playing deep, I don't think it's unfair to question when he might start having an influence deep?

Just to recap: "If footballers didn't have their best attributes they wouldn't be as good."

Stunning insight there - truly revelatory.

Okay maybe you need things spelled out for you.

That's rich from someone constantly seems to require posts expanded upon and explained to them in detail.

Take long kick off Griff and he has practically 0 impact apart from his one nice mark a game. Take long kick off Deledio he'll still hit you on the chest lace out and kick goals (granted a few less).

Ergo wouldn't be quite as good would he? QED.

Besides the comment about Griffiths marking is factually wrong.  FWIW I'm not 100% on his bandwagon yet either. That I'd keep him over Vickery isn't exactly what I'd regard as a ringing endorsement.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2236 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
Ok that second quote,  I need to hit my head with a hammer a few times and reduce my IQ to understand it better.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2237 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
Trade Vickery for Higgins.

Griffs going nowhere

I like your thinking.

wtf higgins?

aim higher

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2238 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Trade Vickery for Higgins.

Griffs going nowhere

I like your thinking.

wtf higgins?

aim higher
Don't worry Bents. Nobody would trade for Higgins anyway. He is a free agent.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2239 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »
i dont know why richmond fans would want vickery to leave unless it was an exceptional deal

to me seems almost the perfect back up ruck / forward

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2240 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
It's great we have depth now, don't believe I'm saying this but vickery is a keeper.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2241 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2242 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »
 :cheers :) :cheers

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2243 on: September 04, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »
For me his lack of goals shows me his lack of influence when playing deep, I don't think it's unfair to question when he might start having an influence deep?

Just to recap: "If footballers didn't have their best attributes they wouldn't be as good."

Okay maybe you need things spelled out for you. Take long kick off Griff and he has practically 0 impact apart from his one nice mark a game. Take long kick off Deledio he'll still hit you on the chest lace out and kick goals (granted a few less).
Do watch our games? Serious question. Griffiths is 15th in the whole league for contested marks. He doesn't take one nice mark a game. You are showing a complete lack of knowledge in this area.

By nice I was referring to the ones that look good, he's game savers, speckies, any spectacular looking ones which he's pretty good for at least one a game.

people talking about griffiths here the stats back up what i see.
and that is he doesnt find anywhere near enough ball. while he takes  his share of marks and his stats are okay  id say for the role we expect of him this is down a tad as well.
he doesnt take enough marks inside 50  and he certainly does not impact the scoreboard anywhere near enough. as a back up ruckman he doest win enough hit outs .

this is not criticism its reality and just pointing out what the bloke really needs to work on and improve.

No point mate they'll just ignore the main point of the argument and bang on about how many marks he takes and how he has a long kick.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:14:31 AM by Yeahright »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2244 on: September 05, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

Okay maybe you need things spelled out for you.

That's rich from someone constantly seems to require posts expanded upon and explained to them in detail.

Take long kick off Griff and he has practically 0 impact apart from his one nice mark a game. Take long kick off Deledio he'll still hit you on the chest lace out and kick goals (granted a few less).

Ergo wouldn't be quite as good would he? QED.

Besides the comment about Griffiths marking is factually wrong.  FWIW I'm not 100% on his bandwagon yet either. That I'd keep him over Vickery isn't exactly what I'd regard as a ringing endorsement.

1. I'd like to see one example of when someones needed to expand and explain something in detail to me.

2. Yes which is my whole point about him having to add more strings to his bow in particular kicking goals :banghead. At least no matter how out of form he is he'll always (maybe not when father time catches up) have the big hoof on him.
Yeah I was in a rush and didn't explain it well but I explained what I meant in my previous post, I'll wear that. I think everyone likes him and would keep him over Vickery, me included.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Griffiths opts to stay at Tigerland (Age)
« Reply #2245 on: September 05, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
Griffiths opts to stay at Tigerland

Jake Niall
     The Age
    September 5, 2014

Richmond's vastly improved key forward Ben Griffiths will remain at Tigerland, spurning offers from rival clubs to sign with the Tigers.

Griffiths, who had attracted interest from four or five clubs, including  bottom-placed St Kilda, is set to sign a two-year contract, after arguably the most productive period of his career in the past five or six weeks.

The Tigers have also re-signed young gun Brandon Ellis for another two years once his current contract, which runs to the end of 2015, expires.

At one point earlier this season, Griffiths' future at Richmond  seemed clouded. The Tigers had shown a preference for playing two big forwards, rather than three, and he was consigned to the VFL for seven weeks while they had Jack Riewoldt supported by Tyrone Vickery.

But the four-match suspension to Vickery for felling Dean Cox gave Griffiths an opportunity to resume in the seniors in round 19 against Greater Western Sydney.

Since then, he has cemented his position in the side, to the point that the more experienced Vickery wasn't brought back for last weekend's game against the Swans.

Griffiths, who turns 23  this month, took some  important marks against the Swans, and while his numbers over the past five weeks have been  modest – 11disposals, six marks and a one goal per game – he has filled an important structural role as the tall target and part-time ruck assisting Ivan Maric.

The difficulty most clubs have in finding key forwards ensured that there was interest in Griffiths as an out-of-contract player in the latter stage of the season. St Kilda, as the club with first pick in the pre-season draft for uncontracted players, shaped as the most worrisome suitor for the Tiger, since the Saints could take him without giving up anything in return.

The 200-centimetre  Griffiths has a powerful boot and was regarded as an excellent prospect when  drafted in 2009, but he was held back by  injuries.

Griffiths was shifted to defence by Damien Hardwick in 2012. Last year, he fell out of favour and played only one senior game for a modest career tally of just 19, but the Tigers opted to hang on to him and this year sent him into to the forward line.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/griffiths-opts-to-stay-at-tigerland-20140904-10cmvu.html

dwaino

« Reply #2246 on: September 05, 2014, 06:38:57 AM »
Last few weeks probably proved to Griff that he isn't just around for backup when someone is injured, but if he is good enough he will hold his own spot.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2247 on: September 20, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Sydney successfully play;

Tippett, ried, goodes, franklin + Pyke.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2248 on: September 20, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »

I said this in the Sydney game thread when we played them. No reason we cant play Vicks, Griff, Reiwoldt and Maric!! Should be done!! Regardless of the win against Sydney we should of done it then or at least against Port.

Damien was too scared.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #2249 on: September 20, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »

They also have the best 2 way running midfield in the comp. Plus Franklin has the agility of a medium tall - not many franklins around