Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 452612 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2535 on: May 08, 2015, 11:58:11 PM »
Aaaaand Griff has had injuries. Vickery has had some but not to the extent of Griff

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2536 on: May 09, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »
 :rollin
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2537 on: May 09, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
If you stop Big Benny Griffiths run at the footy for a mark he hasn't got much else. For a bloke that is 200cm and 100kg and has been on an AFL list for 6 years he isn't real strong when competing one on one for a mark. That also goes for his ruck work.
It will be interesting to see him this weekend on Hansen, Thompson, Firrito or even Tarrant, all guys that like body contact and take away your run at the footy.
Don't get me wrong I want this guy to succeed, it may not sound like it but I can see past the one big grab a week or the long goal. He needs to get involved more than he does for a player of his size and time on our list.
I'll be watching closely this weekend.
Yet you said Vickery is still young in another thread and we need to persevere with him! And he's been far more putrid than Griffiths this year. And Griffiths is a year younger....
I said Vickery was still young for a tall- I didn't say he was worth persevering with. Haven't said that for a while.
Vickery has only played one game this year too and it was putrid but Griff hasn't been much better.
If you read my post again I didn't  mention Tyrone, it was about Griff. Maybe comment on that?
If you stop his leap at the footy he struggles to take a mark one on one. Thoughts?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2538 on: May 09, 2015, 11:08:37 AM »
If you stop Big Benny Griffiths run at the footy for a mark he hasn't got much else. For a bloke that is 200cm and 100kg and has been on an AFL list for 6 years he isn't real strong when competing one on one for a mark. That also goes for his ruck work.
It will be interesting to see him this weekend on Hansen, Thompson, Firrito or even Tarrant, all guys that like body contact and take away your run at the footy.
Don't get me wrong I want this guy to succeed, it may not sound like it but I can see past the one big grab a week or the long goal. He needs to get involved more than he does for a player of his size and time on our list.
Yet you said Vickery is still young in another thread and we need to persevere with him! And he's been far more putrid than Griffiths this year. And Griffiths is a year younger....
I said Vickery was still young for a tall- I didn't say he was worth persevering with. Haven't said that for a while.
Vickery has only played one game this year too and it was putrid but Griff hasn't been much better.
If you read my post again I didn't  mention Tyrone, it was about Griff. Maybe comment on that?
If you stop his leap at the footy he struggles to take a mark one on one. Thoughts?
Griff has played quite a bit around the ground this year and has been ok. I have been to all our games this year and have watched him closely. When he went off at half time against Melbourne, the game changed significantly. He was creating all sorts of headaches for their backs. He just converted poorly which let them off the hook.  If you block Vickery's run at the ball you also take him out of the contest so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. This applies to many of the younger KPF's in the league until they work out how to use their bodies to get themselves back into the contest.
I've said many times that I would love both Vickery and Griffiths to succeed because that is vital to our success. They should be kicking the ball to one another and creating a chemistry between them.  The way Hardwick has set them up, he has them fighting for the same spot. This has become detrimental to both their development.
However, if you did a poll on who people think offers more between the two, I would be pretty certain that the vast majority would pick Griffiths.  You seem to be the poster that has the opposite view which is fine but you must apply the same rules to both.  I watched Vickery against Geelong and off the ball he was pathetic. No effort at all in running hard and creating options or putting any pressure on the opposition backs. The guy has the attributes to be a very good player but his lack of effort is why he is not getting a game.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #2539 on: May 09, 2015, 11:10:29 AM »
I pray to god griff doesn't miss one from the goal square today or I may drive off station pier

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2540 on: May 09, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_TEXkfgYCQ

Few good contested marks in there, most of them with people taking his run away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qhGAEOP59w

VFL but there a couple in there too.

Of course taking his run is going to make it harder for him to mark the ball, it's the same with every single player. But I don't see where you base this opinion that he can't take contested marks from.

Oh and who remembers him getting the buzz cut  :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2541 on: May 09, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
i see stopping his run at the ball has now changed to stopping his leap at the ball.

are there actually any players in the league that can be prevented from leaping at the ball and still out mark someone who has an unimpeded leap at the ball?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2542 on: May 09, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »
i see stopping his run at the ball has now changed to stopping his leap at the ball.

are there actually any players in the league that can be prevented from leaping at the ball and still out mark someone who has an unimpeded leap at the ball?
Fair call. I probably should have worded my first post better. I did mean stop his leap at the footy. IMO he just isn't very good in a one on on dual.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2543 on: May 09, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »
Griff has played quite a bit around the ground this year and has been ok. I have been to all our games this year and have watched him closely. When he went off at half time against Melbourne, the game changed significantly. He was creating all sorts of headaches for their backs. He just converted poorly which let them off the hook.  If you block Vickery's run at the ball you also take him out of the contest so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. This applies to many of the younger KPF's in the league until they work out how to use their bodies to get themselves back into the contest.
I've said many times that I would love both Vickery and Griffiths to succeed because that is vital to our success. They should be kicking the ball to one another and creating a chemistry between them.  The way Hardwick has set them up, he has them fighting for the same spot. This has become detrimental to both their development.
However, if you did a poll on who people think offers more between the two, I would be pretty certain that the vast majority would pick Griffiths.  You seem to be the poster that has the opposite view which is fine but you must apply the same rules to both.  I watched Vickery against Geelong and off the ball he was pathetic. No effort at all in running hard and creating options or putting any pressure on the opposition backs. The guy has the attributes to be a very good player but his lack of effort is why he is not getting a game.
Just got home from golf. How did your man go today?

Gigantor

« Reply #2544 on: May 09, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
I'm starting to  think big Ben is made of glass

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2545 on: May 09, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
Always early sub against Norf. Last year was Vlastuin now Griffiths.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

tony_montana

« Reply #2546 on: May 09, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
How'd you hit them bt?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2547 on: May 09, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »
How'd you hit them bt?
Played to my handicap which was pleasing considering the wind was up. Do you play?
I IQ'ed the game and will watch it later. Did you watch? Sounds like the same old same old!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2548 on: May 09, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
Was knocked out and subbed off very early.  Are you going to criticise him for that too?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2549 on: May 09, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
Was knocked out and subbed off very early.  Are you going to criticise him for that too?

We seemed to immediately lose our structure once he went out. As I've said before its concerning how we seem to be quiet reliant upon him at the moment.