Author Topic: Neil Balme  (Read 28762 times)

Ramps

Neil Balme
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
Was at Collingwood running Football and Collingwood got to 2 grand finals.
Went to Geelong, Geelong wins a Flag
Was a decent coach way back, has got fantastic business acumen from what Ive been told.
Richmond Premiership Player who hasnt found his way back to Punt Rd
and we're running around trying to Recruit Blokes like Hooper and giving away 2nd rounders for Mitch Morton lol...atleast according to the media.

If we fail in this trade period, then there must be change and NEIL BALME needs to be a target for our club. His record at Collingwood and Geelong cannot be underestimated. If we fail, Greg needs to be looked at and someone like Neil would make a good candidate for head of football at Richmond.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Neil Balme's record as Football Manager in AFL.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:10 AM »
Balmey has done well as a footy manager although the Pies let him go rather than the Cats poaching him.

Weren't we meant to be getting a new recruiting chief to oversee and help Francis Jackson? It's gone all quiet on that front for the past couple of months. We're probably are waiting for an existing recruiter to finish up with his current club before crossing over.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Neil Balme
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:36:05 AM »
Tigers should pounce on Neil Balme
Kevin Sheedy | September 21, 2008

RICHMOND needs to get serious and go after Neil Balme.

The club needs a football manager and Balme is the perfect candidate. Look at his record and the evidence is compelling.

He has just made it to his fourth Grand Final in the past six years - two while at Collingwood in 2002 and 2003 and now with this mighty Geelong outfit.

For a guy who isn't coaching that is a remarkable effort.

I personally put my hand up for him to join Essendon in the middle of 2006. At the time the CEO Peter Jackson felt he wasn't right for us.

He slipped through and it was a drastic mistake, considering we were struggling at the time.

Balme seems to have the capacity to get coaches to work together. If not for a freakish snap by Jason Akermanis he would have won a flag with Collingwood in 2002.

In Adelaide he was a manager and a coach who won premierships and then he came across to do a reasonably successful job as head coach of Melbourne.

He doesn't appear to get flustered and keeps a lid on issues by playing it tight but fair.

Graeme Richmond and Alan Schwab would never have allowed him to drive past Richmond from his home in the eastern suburbs.

The current administration would be foolish to overlook him and need to do whatever it takes to get him back there.

With his experience he would make an ideal No.2 to coach Terry Wallace.

For a team that consistently keeps finishing ninth he could be the difference. He would be the first person you'd get back, especially losing someone such as Greg Miller.

You can interview all the people in the world, but there are some who just have that "it" factor.

Sometimes the plant nearest the back door doesn't get watered because you just keep walking past it.

That happened with North Melbourne when Denis Pagan was overlooked for a reserves or senior job and came to Essendon.

Then the Roos came back to nab him and he went on to win two premierships.

It also happened with Mark Williams. At Glenelg they said, 'We don't think you're good enough'. He won a premiership with Port within a decade.

Sometimes people around the corner get walked past too readily.

And it shouldn't be forgotten that Balme had a tremendous career at Tigerland.

He wasn't Royce Hart or Francis Bourke, but he was a really good contributor to the team. A lion in the goal square who smashed hell out of the great Carlton Football Club.

And in the top job he did well, too. You don't have to win the premiership to be regarded as a top-class coach. Stan Alves got to a Grand Final and didn't win.

Neale Daniher is a classic case. How Victorian clubs let West Coast sign him is a disgrace and another huge error in judgment.

One of the best football managers I had was Matthew Drain.

He left and we never filled that spot properly. The football manager controls the whole conveyance of the club and is a very important piece in the puzzle.

You look at Bomber Thompson and he is as relaxed as ever.

Since Balme has come on board he has been relieved of many duties and he has been able to simply concentrate on coaching.

I don't know Balme that well.

He doesn't live in my back pocket but I just respect results. And Richmond needs an abundance of those.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24377087-19742,00.html

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers should pounce on Neil Balme: Sheedy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »
Correct weight Sheeds.  :clapping
EAT EM ALIVE!

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Most of us have wanted Balme back for a fair while. Sheeds is 100%. Balme is the candidate that we need. Its such a shame that we havent got him back to Punt Rd all these years.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »
An interesting article and I think he is pretty much on the money.  It does raise a few interesting points:

"Graeme Richmond and Alan Schwab would never have allowed him to drive past Richmond from his home in the eastern suburbs.
The current administration would be foolish to overlook him and need to do whatever it takes to get him back there.
With his experience he would make an ideal No.2 to coach Terry Wallace."

This is the most forthright or direct statement Sheedy has made in regard to his old club.  In the past he has spoken in 'Sheedy-speak', waffling on saying things and stirring the pot without being accused of saying anything controversial or antagonistic.  He appears to be much more intent this time.

"For a team that consistently keeps finishing ninth he could be the difference. He would be the first person you'd get back, especially losing someone such as Greg Miller.
You can interview all the people in the world, but there are some who just have that "it" factor."

This is especially pertinent given his 'history' with Miller.  Publicly they didn't get on and yet he appears to be sending a strong message that we now have a responsibility and need to replace some big shoes with some just as big (or even bigger).

"Sometimes the plant nearest the back door doesn't get watered because you just keep walking past it.
Sometimes people around the corner get walked past too readily.
And it shouldn't be forgotten that Balme had a tremendous career at Tigerland."

This was the bit that got me thinking the most.  Even though the article is ostensibly about Balme and Richmond, I just can't help but wonder if he isn't making a covert pitch for himself in a mentoring/football manager/department overseer type of role.  As I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be the first time he has used a third party to carry the intent of his 'real' message.  Martians and seagulls anyone?

Offline TIGER 03

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »
remove wallace and i think you would have sheedy balme and many others knocking on the door wanting to come back. wallace loves surrounding himself with people who are inferior to him, and people that are close to him.

rawlings, mcrae & king are no threat to him, while royal and gordon casey are long and loyal servants to wallace. dont expect to land a big fish while wallace is still there.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
Except Balme signed a new 2 year contract with Geelong only a month or two ago
I doubt it has a get out clause to take up a similar position at another club

Moi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
remove wallace and i think you would have sheedy balme and many others knocking on the door wanting to come back. wallace loves surrounding himself with people who are inferior to him, and people that are close to him.

rawlings, mcrae & king are no threat to him, while royal and gordon casey are long and loyal servants to wallace. dont expect to land a big fish while wallace is still there.

Is this Jack? lol
Weren't people saying Wallace should have no say in who the club gets or no say in anything for that matter  ::)
This is purely the hierarchy not doing their job, nothing to do with Wallace.
We have no head of footy and we have no major sponsor.
Or are you going to blame Wallace for that too lol
It's about time March and all his cronies like yourself stopped blaming Wallace for everything.  March should get to and do his job and land a major sponsor and a head of footy.

Moi

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
And he's never seemed remotely interested even before Wallace was there  ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

Late July I think it was Infamy...

Fact is Balme is not an option... so can we move on.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
Late July I think it was Infamy...
This year certainly has gone fast

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Yep Sheeds just conveniently left out that little crucial detail. It also makes a mockery of March's claim that we sacked Miller after round 16 because we couldn't wait until the end of the season to get the best candidate. Balmey had already re-signed with Geelong before Miller's sacking.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
Sheeds also doesn't seem to understand the position. It will be TW's boss, not an ideal No.2 to him.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Neil Balme the next RFC president?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 06:45:30 AM »
From today's Age.... (I think by Caro?)

Balme attended Richmond's season launch and powerful people behind the scenes remain intent on bringing him back to Tigerland. The view is that he would be an ideal president.