Author Topic: Did everything I could.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Did everything I could.
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
To get this kid Matthew Scott to Richmond. Along with another midfield Tom Harms from Sturt.

Kills me... Absolutely kills me to see him play somewhere else and our list in absolute slop ruins...

http://www.kangaroos.com.au/Season2010/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4912/newsid/88444/default.aspx

This kid can seriously play...

I hope we look into getting Tom Harms next year.
Go Tigers!

tony_montana

Re: Did everything I could.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »
what did u do pope?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »
Emailed the club throughout the year videos and stats from all his Ranges games.
He was Eastern Ranges Vice Captain.

Was over looked in the draft after being predicted to be taken between 30-50.
Emailed again drawing attention to Francis Jackson to seriously consider this kid.

Legally i couldn't do anything more than that.

Got no reply ofcourse, nor did I expect to. Atleast expected a phone call to Matt, since he was good enough to train with Collingwood before the rookie draft. No phone calls were made. Its opinion based recruiting maybe he wasn't rated highly. Huge mistake IMO.

Got very silky skills, elite mark overhead for his age group as a midfielder. His motor needs work as does his body size. Nice height and his father is a big New Zealand man and has the pedigree to grow into a big body. Which we so obviously need.

Anzac Day round in VFL reserves he picked up 37 possessions and a goal. Last week first game in VFL seniors and was concussed in the 1st qtr backing back into the backline. Gutsy kid.

Kills me he isn't in a Richmond Jumper. Absolutly kills me.
Go Tigers!

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
but north has got him?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
Yep was picked up 3rd or 4th round in the Rookie Draft with their last selection, a little bit of irrelevant information I know. But I'm horribly dirty that we didn't pick him up.

Tom Harms was the other kid I really liked who wasn't picked up by anyone who I hope we look at and I've tried to email the club about him. Who knows if they'll look into it..
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
Maybe try messaging Phantom on PRE
He seems to be in contact with Francis about recruiting, or at least may know the best way to forward information like this to the club

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
thats great work pope.

I used to send in emails about players up until 8-9 years ago when I saw an article expose on Juanita the woman behind the scenes at richmond (ie doorbitch - screening all emails before distributing them) in one of the papers, and she was quite derogatory with some comments saying things like 'we have coach wannabe experts sending Frawley their opinons on gameplans and recruiting gurus telling us we have to see player X in action'. Just thought it was in incredibly poor taste to be taking the pee out of supportes who were just trying to help especially when at the time you were hearing stories from other clubs like essendon where supporters rang the club to have a look at Rama which they then did, and the carlton supporter whose opinion Parkin rated very highly. Who knows if things have changed?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
I like the stuff you post popey so don't take this the wrong way but reality is they ain't going to listen to every  crack pot that emails the club on potential recruits(and you don't sound like a crack pot but I only know this from regurlarly reading other posts but how would they know?).
I would send them a profile of yourself with the club by sending your resume/dossier on recruiting credentials. Then when they see your name they know you  and it has some pull. They wouldn't (and personally) i would not want recruiting time AND resource taken following ip every bit of advise on recruiting players. That time is better spent out there looking at players or following up on leads from properly credentialled volunteers or scouts.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
I like the stuff you post popey so don't take this the wrong way but reality is they ain't going to listen to every  crack pot that emails the club on potential recruits(and you don't sound like a crack pot but I only know this from regurlarly reading other posts but how would they know?).
I would send them a profile of yourself with the club by sending your resume/dossier on recruiting credentials. Then when they see your name they know you  and it has some pull. They wouldn't (and personally) i would not want recruiting time AND resource taken following ip every bit of advise on recruiting players. That time is better spent out there looking at players or following up on leads from properly credentialled volunteers or scouts.

I have to say Y&B, if I was the Recruiting Officer for a club then I would make some effort to look at each and every tidbit of information that passed my desk.  The credentials of who passed it would matter very little to me as opposed to the fact that someone took the time to contact me with information.  I would not be doing my job to the best of my ability if I did not pay the respect of an initial enquiry/follow up on every lead passed, even though as the boss I would not expect to do the leg work - my properly resourced department most certainly would.  You are never to old to learn and never to proud to listen - if you disagree with that then you are only doing yourself an injustice and you alone will be the casualty.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »

Yeah absolutely spot on YAB. Look that's fair enough, it wasn't a dig at the club for any reason just I spose some venting at seeing a kid I wished our club would pick up but didn't for obviously our own reasons. I hate it when people complain about the draft so I'm calling the kettle black here, but as I've always said the draft is a semi lottery, anything could happen with development. I also agree that the club mroe than likely wouldn't have the time to analyze every correspondence they receive. I was wishing mine be one of the few that might and we picked up this kid.

A profile may work I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »

I have to say Y&B, if I was the Recruiting Officer for a club then I would make some effort to look at each and every tidbit of information that passed my desk.  The credentials of who passed it would matter very little to me as opposed to the fact that someone took the time to contact me with information.  I would not be doing my job to the best of my ability if I did not pay the respect of an initial enquiry/follow up on every lead passed, even though as the boss I would not expect to do the leg work - my properly resourced department most certainly would.  You are never to old to learn and never to proud to listen - if you disagree with that then you are only doing yourself an injustice and you alone will be the casualty.

Agree Smoke.

At the end of the day you get out what you put in.

I don't even want to remember the rumors of JON's recruitment came from an inside whisper that he's a hidden roughie and the club went with it.

Anyway I have faith in the kids we've drafted I just wish we had one more pick and Scott was available. In our situation I'd like to have many more wishes too lol.
Go Tigers!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:38:50 AM »

kind of ironic you are the one not really taking my point then.......!
There is an opportunity cost following up every piece of random information vs a genuine lead. For all you (or I) know the amount of random leads might result in our recruiting people following leads vs doing their own due dilligence.
To me, following up on supporter info is inefficient and a little unprofessional and/or desperate unless there is some basis for trusting that persons judgement. It's probably where Abbott came up with his "millions of boatpeople" comment!
In Popeys case, I know he has some experience with under age kids from reading this forum. What I'm suggesting is that he summarize that experience to help the club qualify and filter it from other "unqualified" his judgement.
Pretty straightforward I wouldve thought.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Matthew Scott best on for Werribee Reserves 2nd week in a row...
 :banghead :banghead

MATTHEW SCOTT

While Playing for Werribee Tigers in 2010 VFL Reserves

Add to myFootyweb
Season Statistics

M     Last     Gls     GLR     GlsAv     NB     B 
5   09/05/2010   1   -   -   2   11
Go Tigers!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
Matthew Scott best on for Werribee Reserves 2nd week in a row...
 :banghead :banghead

MATTHEW SCOTT

While Playing for Werribee Tigers in 2010 VFL Reserves

Add to myFootyweb
Season Statistics

M     Last     Gls     GLR     GlsAv     NB     B 
5   09/05/2010   1   -   -   2   11

Don't give up PL, get a petition together and get it to the club, I and many others would sign it I am sure. Keep monitoring him (Harms) mate, lets get him next year!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
OMG are you for real Werribee reserves get a life you idiot