Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 410019 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Tom Lynch to be a Tiger [update]
« Reply #840 on: September 06, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »
Poorly worded tweet, he said possibly the weakest group to win a flag. I disagree with the statement but it wasn't meant to be a knock on the club. More backhanded praise in a way.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #841 on: September 06, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
Lynch must be sitting back tonight happy about his choice of club to join next season :yep.

Poorly worded tweet, he said possibly the weakest group to win a flag. I disagree with the statement but it wasn't meant to be a knock on the club. More backhanded praise in a way.
It knocked and undervalued the individual quality in the team. Flag or no flag this year, we've proven last year wasn't a fluke nor simply based on a one-hit wonder gameplan and structure. Opposition sides have had 12 months to study and pull us apart yet we finished on top of the ladder and into another Prelim.

Also what does a St Kilda person like Thomas know about winning premierships? How to pinch a single flag in over a 100 years with a wobbly bouncing punt out of a pack of players that goes through for a point. Thomas is a failed coach who was given a dream list of first round picks and couldn't even get them to a Grand Final. Humility and praising opposition teams that achieved something he and his Saints couldn't is something he has never learnt.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #842 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Whereas his was the strongest group that never achieved FA under his expert stuffwittery. High praise indeed. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Forward thinking delivers Suns gun to Richmond (Age)
« Reply #843 on: September 07, 2018, 01:14:08 AM »
Forward thinking delivers Suns gun to Richmond

By Jake Niall
The Age
7 September 2018

Long before Richmond won the 2017 premiership, the Tigers’ coaches held the view that they were unlikely to win a flag without another quality tall forward to support Jack Riewoldt.

This assessment was dramatically disproven last September, when an apparent weakness — the Lilliput forward line, with only one genuine tall target (who isn’t that tall either) – was transformed into a swarming menace.

Their grand design of landing Tom Lynch was certainly on the agenda in 2017, although it wasn’t guaranteed; Lynch had to see if the Suns would finally be heading north up the ladder (nope) before he went south.

Today, as Richmond waits for the season’s end to sign him, Lynch’s imminent acquisition by the 2017 premiers and 2018 favourites has invited questions about the future of free agency – can this system be reformed? – and the query on how he will fit in at Tigerland, a query first raised when Alex Rance warned about the risks of ‘‘upsetting the apple cart’’ by bringing in Lynch.

Rance, clearly, isn’t so concerned about Lynch today, given he’s had his contract extended, along with those of Trent Cotchin and Riewoldt, in deals that have been put together with Lynch in mind.

While there are risks for Richmond in bringing in a key forward post knee surgery on a minimum six-year deal on close to a million dollars per season, the Tigers still need a player of his ilk.

The ‘‘Jack and five (smalls)’’ set up was unlikely to be sustainable for much longer. Even this season, when they’ve been well ahead of their rivals, Richmond have suffered bouts of inefficiency (such as against the Eagles), when they’ve struggled to convert their territorial advantage into a winning score. Their attack – effective in keeping the ball locked in – is not a patch on their outstanding defence.

Provided he stands up to injury, Lynch should repair that weakness. He also will allow Damien Hardwick to modify their game style somewhat to one that involves a little less ‘‘chaos’’ and improvisation in their scoring method.

Lynch was the proverbial no-brainer for Richmond. He fits their needs, he’s unlikely to cost them a draft pick. There will be a cost to the club in terms of salary cap and, eventually, it will cost them players. But they have judged that the pluses outweigh the risks, particularly in view of their needs.

That the most sought free agent has chosen the top side has already created a discussion around the troubles with free agency, especially for the Suns, who could well lose Steven May, a free agent next year and on the radar of Collingwood now.

Officials from various clubs have proposed reforms to free agency that would make the system more equitable for the bottom teams. One is that free agents – or at least restricted ones – be off limits to top four teams, another proposal would see the top eight teams only allowed to sign a free agent from another top eight side (whereas non-finalists could sign any free agent).

The most feasible concept of this kind is the idea that there are no restrictions on free agents moving, but that the top four teams – or top eight sides – would have to give up their first draft pick to the team that loses the player.

Unfortunately for Gold Coast and (at this stage) Carlton and St Kilda, the players will not agree to any reform to the free agency system that undermines their ability to move to their preferred club. If restrictions are imposed on top teams etc, then the Players Association will want the eligibility period reduced from eight years to six years (and from 10 to 8 for unrestricted FA).

So, we can forget about free agency reform in the short term. Rather, the AFL will use other mechanisms – whether that’s reforming the draft, the soft cap freeze or something else – to compensate for the fact that players tend to go to teams they think will win games.

Lest we forget, too, that most A-graders who leave their clubs are traded. Lynch would be heading to the Tigers whether he was a free agent or not.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/forward-thinking-delivers-lynch-to-richmond-20180906-p5028k.html

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #844 on: September 07, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »
Lynch must be sitting back tonight happy about his choice of club to join next season :yep.

It knocked and undervalued the individual quality in the team. Flag or no flag this year, we've proven last year wasn't a fluke nor simply based on a one-hit wonder gameplan and structure. Opposition sides have had 12 months to study and pull us apart yet we finished on top of the ladder and into another Prelim.

Also what does a St Kilda person like Thomas know about winning premierships? How to pinch a single flag in over a 100 years with a wobbly bouncing punt out of a pack of players that goes through for a point. Thomas is a failed coach who was given a dream list of first round picks and couldn't even get them to a Grand Final. Humility and praising opposition teams that achieved something he and his Saints couldn't is something he has never learnt.

do you ever not write an essay about rubbish unrelated to a SMALL issue?

You're wrong.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:53:59 PM by WilliamPowell »
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #845 on: September 07, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

do you ever not write an essay about rubbish unrelated to a SMALL issue?

You're wrong.
Why don't you just give a bit of respect to the guys that actually run the site? They can do whatever they want and don't need posters like you what they should or shouldn't do.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:54:25 PM by WilliamPowell »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #846 on: September 07, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »

You’re entitled to a view, however contrary, it’s the main reason I like this forum.
Having said that, you seem easily led if you honestly believe Grant Thomas was attempting to provide even faint praise on our flag win. It was nothing more than a cheap shot on GF night to get attention.. His tweet the other night was exactly the same thing. When you look at the history of free agency, overall it’s had a “meh” impact on player turnover and the competition.
His twitter account is a slightly more sophisticated trolling account than Ricky Nixon’s which they both have because they are desperate for some attention now that they are irrelevant in an industry where they were once prominent
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:56:34 PM by WilliamPowell »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #847 on: September 07, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
I agree with MT , Thomas does not carry a lot of weight when it comes to Football,  especially a teams Talent.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #848 on: September 07, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »

You’re entitled to a view, however contrary, it’s the main reason I like this forum.
Having said that, you seem easily led if you honestly believe Grant Thomas was attempting to provide even faint praise on our flag win. It was nothing more than a cheap shot on GF night to get attention.. His tweet the other night was exactly the same thing. When you look at the history of free agency, overall it’s had a “meh” impact on player turnover and the competition.
His twitter account is a slightly more sophisticated trolling account than Ricky Nixon’s which they both have because they are desperate for some attention now that they are irrelevant in an industry where they were once prominent

Eh, I happen to know Grant Thomas quite well as a previous employee of his. I can tell you he's got a lot of respect for what our club has done and it was not a case of trolling. His twitter is just a bloke who likes to talk footy, any trolling is aimed at those who actually deserve eg Gill McLachlan
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:56:54 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #849 on: September 07, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
I agree with MT , Thomas does not carry a lot of weight when it comes to Football,  especially a teams Talent.

Yeah, he only took a rabble to the prelim within a few seasons and left a list for his successor that enabled him opportunities to win a GF. What the stuff would he know about footy as a former AFL coach?  :lol

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #850 on: September 07, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
Hard to take a blokes football credentials seriously when he only got his job because his best mate was the president. Comes across as bitter man to me.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #851 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »

Yeah, he only took a rabble to the prelim within a few seasons and left a list for his successor that enabled him opportunities to win a GF. What the stuff would he know about footy as a former AFL coach?  :lol
A rabble?
Nick Riewoldt.
Luke Ball
Brendan Goddard
Robert Harvey
Stephen Milne
Fraser Gerhig
Etc

Yeah a rabble.....

You really are full of it.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Stick to the topic without the insults
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Grant Thomas had the best list in the comp for about 3 years.

He’s no master coach.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #854 on: September 07, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Grant Thomas @Thomo_Grant twitter:

Opponents are playing serious chess whilst Tigers are having fun, throwing a few hoops, trying to hole 40 foot putts, & throwing bullseyes. The others are over thinking, over coached, over strategic, over tactical, driven to defeat by coaches who think it’s all about chess.

People focus in on how to beat Tigers instead of focussing on playing to your very best. Tigers can’t be beaten tactically because they are driven emotionally & spiritually. Coaches don’t get it. Let your players go - unleash their talent. That’s where Tigers can be beaten.

The relentless pursuit of manic, unconditional, keep the ball alive against conservative, methodical, considered, risk averse ball movement. Belief & trust V system & structure.

https://twitter.com/Thomo_Grant