Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 409921 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Free agency 'a farce': Kane Cornes slams AFL over Tom Lynch move to RFC (SN)
« Reply #855 on: September 07, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
Free agency 'a farce': Kane Cornes slams AFL over Tom Lynch move to Richmond

Written By Mick Stirling
Sporting News
7 Sept. 2018

The expected announcement by Tom Lynch that he will be at Richmond next year has got the hackles up on the back of many AFL observers, with former Port Adelaide player Kane Cornes saying the move proves free agency “is a farce”.

Lynch has been the biggest name in player movement discussions all year, and the fact the best player on the move can finish at the top club seems incongruous with the concept of the league being a level playing field.

“How the captain of the 17th ranked club can up and leave and join the 2017 premier, a team that finished the top of the ladder again this year and appears certain to win back-to-back flags, is just not right and threatens the integrity of the competition,” Cornes told SEN Mornings on Friday.

“I’m not sure how the Gold Coast will recover.

“Sure the AFL will hand them a top-five draft pick as compensation, but what good will that do? None.

“It’s not right and the AFL must act now on this free agency farce.”

While the uproar over the Tigers securing Lynch won’t die down in a hurry, it’s not the first time a big-name player has walked out on a struggling club to head to a flag contender.

James Frawley left 17th-placed Melbourne to join reigning premiers Hawthorn at the end of 2014, after fellow Demon defender and Rising Star winner Jared Rivers had done two years earlier to get to perennial finalist Geelong.

And while Lance Franklin’s move from Hawthorn to Sydney was from powerhouse to powerhouse, it saw the Swans’ Cost Of Living Allowance questioned and ultimately removed.

Cornes put the blame squarely at the feet of the players themselves through the work of the AFL Players Association in securing free agency rights.

“The players fought hard for free agency, and they will argue after serving eight years at a club that you had no choice of being drafted to, you should have some freedom of where you want to play,” he said.

“It’s another example of the AFL Players Association having far too much power.

“Congratulations Richmond, and if your recent recruits in Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis and Josh Caddy are anything to go by, Lynch wearing black and yellow will be a resounding success.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/farce-kane-cornes-free-agency-tom-lynch-richmond-tigers-afl-gold-/zvu9d1f78chk1wd4g05j7jz7m

Lebowski

Re: Tom Lynch to be a Tiger [update]
« Reply #856 on: September 07, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
Wrong again tommo, we’ve harnessed both. It’s really not that hard to understand. It’s not the 90’s or the early naughties where we were an emotional side that played on emotion. Really dumb thing to insinuate

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers face biggest salary cap imbalance if it signs Tom Lynch (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #857 on: September 07, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Tigers faces tight salary cap if it signs Tom Lynch, how much Tiger stars earn

JON RALPH,
360 VIEW,
Herald Sun
7 Sept. 2018

RICHMOND faces one of football’s biggest salary cap imbalances next year, with six players taking up as much as $5 million of a $12.76m salary cap.

Veteran list builder Gary Buckenara says the Tigers list management team will find a way to juggle its books to squeeze in Gold Coast star Tom Lynch.

But as Buckenara says, it could cost the Tigers a handful of mid-tier players in the coming years just as Sydney felt the squeeze with “Bondi Billionaires” Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett.

Football’s greatest certainty is that Lynch, 25, will eventually get to the Tigers, probably having made up his mind a long time ago.

The Herald Sun understands that Lynch’s contract could be up to seven years when a free agency deal is eventually brokered.

His camp is adamant that he hasn’t told the Tigers of his decision.

Nor have Collingwood and Hawthorn been officially ruled out.

But quite clearly they have been given enough of an indication to know he’s going elsewhere.

What is more relevant is how the Tigers squeeze him into a cap that will be as tight as a drum.

Dustin Martin is on around $1.2 million a year.

So he should be on a deal that with his durability will likely get him to 350 games by the age of 33, with fuel potentially left in the tank.

Lynch is likely to ask for less money per season to accept a deal past five seasons, sitting him underneath Martin on around $1 million a year.

Dion Prestia’s deal is around $750,000 a season, and Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin have all extended deals and renegotiated terms that would still see them earn $700,000 or more.

As Buckenara says, it takes some nifty financial manoeuvring to balance the books.

“It’s a balancing act, a bit like Sydney had to manage with Buddy and Tippett when they came in,” he said.

“More of Buddy’s money was paid in the back end and somewhere along the line if you don’t get it right, it will cost you a player or two.

“Mummy (Shane Mumford) was a casualty, (Nick) Malceski got squeezed out.

“There has been an increase in salary cap, but if Dusty is on $1.2 million, Cotchin could be playing for unders but he has got to be on $750,000-plus.

“Before you know it that’s three players on three million.

“Then you have Riewoldt and Rance and you get an imbalance where five or six players get the majority of your cap and the rest are fighting.

“Player incentives have come back to bite clubs where a guy suddenly plays better than he has before and all of a sudden, ‘Oops, we have to watch how many games he plays or where he finishes in the best-and-fairest’.”
Richmond has some big names on some big money. Picture: AAP Images

What makes it a remarkable feat of cap management is that Jayden Short has accepted a significant pay rise and Toby Nankervis, Jack Higgins, Jack Graham, Nathan Broad, Dylan Grimes, Ryan Garthwaite and Shai Bolton have all signed again this year.

There were reports this week Shaun Grigg and Bachar Houli will sign one-year extensions, but Anthony Miles will move on.

We will find out in coming weeks if Jacob Townsend, Corey Ellis and Sam Lloyd will be squeezed out or if as Brandon Ellis said this year, they just want to stay at any cost.

Richmond won’t be the last team to have its stars stay for less, but what makes it an outrider is Martin’s salary and Lynch’s likely wage.

The Tigers do seems to have the kind of culture in which key role players Kane Lambert, David Astbury, Shane Edwards and Nick Vlastuin — all out of contract next year — will be happy to stay for less.

In 2016, before two seasons of knee issues, Lynch kicked 66 goals, took 66 contested marks, took 3.5 marks inside 50 per game and averaged 15 disposals, incredible for a key forward.

He was an emerging megastar, and if Richmond can land him and nurse him back to full health, any price they pay will be worth it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-faces-one-of-the-afls-biggest-salary-cap-imbalances-if-the-tigers-sign-tom-lynch/news-story/754e5473a9b84b6867947240280c9ec1

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #858 on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
Kane Cornes has found religion and now wants to slam the Free Agency system.

I can only think that this Lynch criticism is a smokescreen.

He is clearly more upset about the fact that Free Agency has delivered his beloved Power Steven Motlop and Tom Rockliff on big contracts in the same season :lol

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #859 on: September 07, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Hysterical Tanties LOL I stuffing love it.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #860 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »

He is clearly more upset about the fact that Free Agency has delivered his beloved Power Steven Motlop and Tom Rockliff on big contracts in the same season :lol

Don't forget One Watt bulb, Footloose Trengove & Ducker Thomas.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #861 on: September 07, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
I really hope we don't pay this guy overs but we will. He's good if fit but is he worth overs. He is not Wayne Carey that will take finals on single handed he will just play well and people will say about the same as Josh Caddy.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #862 on: September 07, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »
I really hope we don't pay this guy overs but we will. He's good if fit but is he worth overs. He is not Wayne Carey that will take finals on single handed he will just play well and people will say about the same as Josh Caddy.

We’re offering significantly less than his current club, hawthorn and Collingwood. Not sure where you’re getting the idea we are paying him overs from.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #863 on: September 07, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

You’re entitled to a view, however contrary, it’s the main reason I like this forum.
Having said that, you seem easily led if you honestly believe Grant Thomas was attempting to provide even faint praise on our flag win. It was nothing more than a cheap shot on GF night to get attention.. His tweet the other night was exactly the same thing. When you look at the history of free agency, overall it’s had a “meh” impact on player turnover and the competition.
His twitter account is a slightly more sophisticated trolling account than Ricky Nixon’s which they both have because they are desperate for some attention now that they are irrelevant in an industry where they were once prominent

Eh, I happen to know Grant Thomas quite well as a previous employee of his. I can tell you he's got a lot of respect for what our club has done and it was not a case of trolling. His twitter is just a bloke who likes to talk footy, any trolling is aimed at those who actually deserve eg Gill McLachlan

Er, I happen to know Gil and let me assure you that Grant Thomas is well regarded for nothing in the industry at the moment which is probably why he thinks he should be trolling him
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #864 on: September 07, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
I agree with MT , Thomas does not carry a lot of weight when it comes to Football,  especially a teams Talent.

Yeah, he only took a rabble to the prelim within a few seasons and left a list for his successor that enabled him opportunities to win a GF. What the stuff would he know about footy as a former AFL coach?  :lol
A rabble?
Nick Riewoldt.
Luke Ball
Brendan Goddard
Robert Harvey
Stephen Milne
Fraser Gerhig
Etc

Yeah a rabble.....

You really are full of it.

They sacked their coach during the season and were amateurish in how their club was being run.

Milne, Riewoldt, Goddard, Ball etc were all kids and developed by GT. Some of them wanted to quit the club when he got sacked. It speaks to how highly they rated him. Ball got phased out after GT was gone, so I don't know why you're mentioning him. Is it because he played his best football under GT?

We were a rabble and we had good young players. You don't actually understand what a rabble is. St Kilda were a rabble when Grant took over. He changed their culture and they had had sustained finals success within years of him taking over. Ross Lyon inherited a good list and took them to 2 GF appearances.

Grant Thomas had the best list in the comp for about 3 years.

He’s no master coach.

Doubtful. Port & Brisbane had the best lists in 2004. West Coast & Sydney clearly did in 05/06. Saints were up there though. 2006 they were stuffed by injuries.

You’re entitled to a view, however contrary, it’s the main reason I like this forum.
Having said that, you seem easily led if you honestly believe Grant Thomas was attempting to provide even faint praise on our flag win. It was nothing more than a cheap shot on GF night to get attention.. His tweet the other night was exactly the same thing. When you look at the history of free agency, overall it’s had a “meh” impact on player turnover and the competition.
His twitter account is a slightly more sophisticated trolling account than Ricky Nixon’s which they both have because they are desperate for some attention now that they are irrelevant in an industry where they were once prominent

Eh, I happen to know Grant Thomas quite well as a previous employee of his. I can tell you he's got a lot of respect for what our club has done and it was not a case of trolling. His twitter is just a bloke who likes to talk footy, any trolling is aimed at those who actually deserve eg Gill McLachlan

Er, I happen to know Gil and let me assure you that Grant Thomas is well regarded for nothing in the industry at the moment which is probably why he thinks he should be trolling him
You and Gil talk about GT? Shows that GT is getting to him  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #865 on: September 07, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »

Don't forget One Watt bulb, Footloose Trengove & Ducker Thomas.... :shh

They traded for one Watt, but on the flip side, they basically got Ryder via FA (even though it was actually a trade) and now they look like getting Lycett.

So Cornes can suck it.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #866 on: September 07, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »
I agree with MT , Thomas does not carry a lot of weight when it comes to Football,  especially a teams Talent.

Yeah, he only took a rabble to the prelim within a few seasons and left a list for his successor that enabled him opportunities to win a GF. What the stuff would he know about footy as a former AFL coach?  :lol
A rabble?
Nick Riewoldt.
Luke Ball
Brendan Goddard
Robert Harvey
Stephen Milne
Fraser Gerhig
Etc

Yeah a rabble.....

You really are full of it.

They sacked their coach during the season and were amateurish in how their club was being run.

Milne, Riewoldt, Goddard, Ball etc were all kids and developed by GT. Some of them wanted to quit the club when he got sacked. It speaks to how highly they rated him. Ball got phased out after GT was gone, so I don't know why you're mentioning him. Is it because he played his best football under GT?

We were a rabble and we had good young players. You don't actually understand what a rabble is. St Kilda were a rabble when Grant took over. He changed their culture and they had had sustained finals success within years of him taking over. Ross Lyon inherited a good list and took them to 2 GF appearances.

Grant Thomas had the best list in the comp for about 3 years.

He’s no master coach.

Doubtful. Port & Brisbane had the best lists in 2004. West Coast & Sydney clearly did in 05/06. Saints were up there though. 2006 they were stuffed by injuries.

You and Gil talk about GT? Shows that GT is getting to him  :shh

No one talks about Grant Thomas....except GT
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #867 on: September 08, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Martin is not on 1.2million.

Reckon his contract is heavily front end loaded as the salary cap had a big jump this year and the big part of this went on Martin. This allows Martins contract to come back well under a million for the most part.

Martins 7 year contract worth a reported $8.5mil. Pay him $4.5mil in first two years then $800k a year over the remaining 5 years.

To get Lynch in the Club went to Riewoldt, Rance and Cotchin to change their contracts so that next year they get less but to offset we then extend their current terms out and pay them more in the years Martin's contract $ come down.

Biggest free kick for us is the timing of the salary cap increase this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #868 on: September 09, 2018, 04:24:26 AM »
Mark Maclure on Tom Lynch:

Our system is wrong, the AFL needs to do something about it. Free agency was for player movement not to help the reigning premier win more premierships

https://twitter.com/abcgrandstand/status/1037625711199059968

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #869 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »
Mark Maclure on Tom Lynch:

Our system is wrong, the AFL needs to do something about it. Free agency was for player movement not to help the reigning premier win more premierships

https://twitter.com/abcgrandstand/status/1037625711199059968
Why is it called Free Agency?
And another thing, who says we will be premiers when he does actually nominate us?