Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 409918 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1230 on: March 18, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »

Agree, it's not as if we desperately need him to play.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1231 on: March 18, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »
If he’s ready he’s ready. Let’s not get in the business of resting players for no reason.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1232 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
‘Spectacular’ Lynch is touch and go

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
March 18, 2019 8:52am

Dylan Grimes says Tom Lynch’s training form is “spectacular” as a decision nears on Damien Hardwick risking his star recruit against Carlton in Round 1.

Lynch yesterday sat out the club’s training session at Punt Rd as part of his weekly routine before his participation in main training on Tuesday.

The club has repeatedly said it is confident he will play Round 1, with Lynch saying he is ready to go in either the AFL or a VFL practice match against Carlton at 4pm on Thursday at Punt Rd.

But there is still the option for Lynch, recovering from PCL surgery, to be eased through the VFL before a Friday night Round 2 debut against Collingwood.

Captain Trent Cotchin told the Herald Sun on Friday a heavy session of contested work last weekend had been a key development for Lynch’s Round 1 hopes.

Grimes said yesterday he was blown away with what Lynch had given to the Tigers on and off the field over summer.

“I think he’s very close,” said Grimes.

“I have only seen what he’s done on the track and it’s been pretty spectacular,” he said.

“Tom is an amazing athlete. You look at him and he’s six foot seven (200cm) and 105kg and runs like the wind and to have someone on our team like that is a huge asset.

“I knew he was a captain at Gold Coast but Tom is a remarkable leader and a terrific person and that’s been a real double bonus having him at the club. To be honest he’s so close it will be touch and go whether he does play or not.

“I am sure he’s someone Tigers fans can be excited by.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/tom-lynch-amazes-teammate-dylan-grimes-as-richmond-recruit-nears-tigers-debut/news-story/c15c8f7322ce530c2adaa365c83408d4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘I want to play’: Lynch’s desperate Round 1 bid (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1233 on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:49 PM »
‘I want to play’: Lynch’s desperate Round 1 bid

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
19 March 2019

Tom Lynch says he desperate to take on Carlton in Thursday night’s blockbuster season opener, declaring on Monday: “I want to play.”

The star Richmond recruit expects to know his fate on Tuesday after the club’s main training session but is adamant he has done enough to be declared fit after a PCL reconstruction.

Richmond recruit Lynch on Monday told the Herald Sun he had made clear to coach Damien Hardwick he was ready to fire in front of 90,000 fans at the MCG.

Hardwick said after the club’s JLT Series win over Hawthorn that Lynch only had to tell him he was ready to play to be slotted in next to Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt in the club’s forward line.

But Lynch said at the launch of Fox Footy’s 2019 AFL season the club’s medical team would make a decision on his availability on Tuesday.

“I feel like I am ready to go. I told ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) that, it’s just whether the fitness staff think I have done enough’’ he said.

“It will be interesting. I will train tomorrow and hopefully train well and push for selection.

“It’s our main session going into Round 1. I will find out one way or another tomorrow, but hopefully I will play. I am keen and I would be excited to play Thursday night.

“I feel confident and ready to go. I have been doing some good sessions, I have been running since Christmas.

“And I have been in skills training the last month-and-a-bit and in tackling and everything else the last couple of weeks. I feel fully confident in my knee, it’s just probably not even my knee, just whether they think the load would be too big. I feel confident, I feel ready to go.”

Lynch is desperate to play in the clash, with the Tigers’ alternative playing him for a half in the VFL against Carlton’s VFL side at Punt Road at 4pm on Thursday.

Lynch, the former Gold Coast captain and a player tipped by Dermott Brereton as one of the future greats of the game, could not be more determined to take his place in the Round 1 side.

Asked what his message would be to Hardwick if he was asked about playing Round 1, he replied: “I want to play”.

While Richmond roared back into the JLT contest against Hawthorn in Tasmania last week he was proving his fitness in front of the club’s fitness bosses in a testing training session.

“It was fairly football specific. Tackling some of the old roll-the-ball-out and pick it up. And then I did a bit of work with (defender) Ryan Garthwaite who is in the same boat as me (after achilles issues). A lot of competitive work, so that was a big session and it was just full contact and I pulled up well from it.

“I have been in full skills training for six weeks. I did my first drill halfway through January and playing games is different to playing against opposition and I think I have done enough.

“We will do better as a forward group within a month of playing but I am confident I have done enough.”

He said on Monday he was happy to play in the ruck despite his PCL surgery over the summer.

“Absolutely. I think I will do a little bit. ‘Nank’ (Toby Nankervis) does 90 per cent but some days you get stuck down forward and it’s good to have a run in the ruck. That would be good.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/tom-lynch-desperate-to-make-richmond-debut-against-carlton-in-2019-season-opener/news-story/d3d9e619491f461064ea1af80978374d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1234 on: March 19, 2019, 11:30:31 AM »
This week’s main training session, today at Punt Road, will be D-Day for Lynch, who will know by tonight if he will play against Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night. The crowd is tipped to be more than last year’s corresponding-round attendance of 90,151.

The biggest crowd Lynch has played in front of in his 131-game career was the 51,774 who attended the Suns’ round-four loss to West Coast in Perth last year.

Richmond general manager of football operations Neil Balme told The Australian yesterday a decision on Lynch had not been made despite a lengthy meeting of football staff over the weekend.

“We’re still undecided. It will come down to what the coaches, doctors and conditioning experts recommend,” Balme said.

“He’s fit enough to play but not having played anything, not even a practice game since the middle of last year, what weight do we put on that? He’s here for the long term so is one game so important. What is the risk?”

Lynch has recovered from two operations on his right knee last year. He underwent surgery last July to fix a recurring posterior cruciate ligament problem before having further minor surgery in November.

Richmond’s priority recruiting target last year is a $9 fourth favourite to win this year’s Coleman Medal behind Kennedy ($4.50), Franklin ($5) and North Melbourne’s key forward Ben Brown, who is an $8 chance.

Should Lynch miss the game his place will almost certainly be taken by 19-year-old key position player and pinch-hitting ruckman Noah Balta for his senior debut.

The Tigers will be without premiership players Josh Caddy (ankle), Shaun Grigg (knee) and Jason Castagna (ankle).

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/tom-lynch-josh-kennedy-and-lance-franklin-in-race-to-make-round-1/news-story/11cc3fee1363ac483fbf13043dd0db81

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1235 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:40 PM »
Matt Thompson @MattThompson

Happening now. Tom Lynch on track at Punt Road ahead of his teammates.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/MattThompson/status/1107772417286365184

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1236 on: March 19, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
Matt Thompson @MattThompson

Happening now. Tom Lynch on track at Punt Road ahead of his teammates.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/MattThompson/status/1107772417286365184

So he can run 10m at moderate pace....may want to show more!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1237 on: March 19, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »
Ch 7 saying they'll have news about Lynch in their main 6pm bulletin.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1238 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
Watson said Lynch "breezed through training".

Lynch didn't give anything away. Only told one of their reporters at Punt Rd that everyone wants to play round 1.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1107912297345769473

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1239 on: March 19, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »
He’s in.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1240 on: March 19, 2019, 07:16:44 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1241 on: March 19, 2019, 10:43:05 PM »
Big Willy just playing with Little Willy methinks... :shh

Jack on 360 said "We've got him for 5 years not just one week..." or words to that effect.. :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2019, 02:12:05 AM »
Tom Lynch watch enters finals days as Richmond’s boom recruit pushes to debut against Carlton

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
March 20, 2019

Lynch watch has entered its final days with Tom Lynch still a viable chance to take on Carlton on Thursday night.

The Tigers star recruit got through Tuesday’s main training session, with Richmond’s medicos keen to ensure he pulls up without any soreness today.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said last night Lynch was desperately close to being named fit to take on Carlton.

He fell just short of ticking off some of the measurements around change of direction and other testing measures before completing the main session.

But he has declared himself fit to play and is desperately keen to make his Richmond debut in Round 1.

The Tigers are seriously considering naming him when they enter their team on Wednesday night for the season opener against the Blues.

Only the seriousness of his PCL reconstruction and his value as a generational player is giving the Tigers pause to consider if he is handed one more week of training.

Balme and coach Damien Hardwick will speak with the club’s fitness team on Wednesday before making a final decision.

Weighing heavily on their minds will be the reality that they have signed Lynch on a seven-year deal so should minimise any risks regarding his fitness.

“I honestly don’t know yet. He is still a chance to play,” said Balme of his chances.

Richmond could also name him to play VFL on Thursday afternoon at Punt Road or pick him without any match practice against Collingwood in Round 2.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/tom-lynch-watch-enters-finals-days-as-richmonds-boom-recruit-pushes-to-debut-against-carlton/news-story/b32b2f325d44e1550f1aca7b48ef359b

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
He’s in.
Got the scoop, Willy?

Apolgies, I jumped the gun.

A mate sent me pics of his teammates shaking his hand and I got all excited.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »