Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 409921 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #1815 on: June 10, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »
The qualifying final against lions last year showed how badly we needed lynch

Perhaps, or it was just that we were too short.

Maybe if CCJ was available we would have been OK.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1816 on: June 10, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »
The qualifying final against lions last year showed how badly we needed lynch

It was the umpires that cost us that game not Lynch.  The BS 50s and goals they handed Brisvegas were borderline criminal.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1817 on: June 10, 2021, 03:28:47 PM »
People reckon his tradeable do you understand he has been hampered by injury this year ?.

Please. It's not like he was particularly good last year.

He's been mediocre since 2019.

If he's not clunking marks, which he often isnt, then he's just a lumbering down the line target.

His set shot kicking has been poor recently too.

Not saying he's crap by any stretch. But he's not the superstar CHF that I was expecting.

And our forward line hasn't exactly imploded without him.

So do you think we would have won back to back flags without him I doubt it.He commands the best defender and his form in 2019 was good.Let's not forget the role Dimma asked him to play to.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:13:31 PM by georgies31 »

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1818 on: June 10, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
People reckon his tradeable do you understand he has been hampered by injury this year ?.

If he's not clunking marks, which he often isnt, then he's just a lumbering down the line target.

Not saying he's crap by any stretch. But he's not the superstar CHF that I was expecting.

So do you think we would have won back to back flags without him I doubt it.He commands the best defender and his fotm in 2019 was good.Let's not forget the role Dimma asked him to play to.

No, I dont think we would have won back to back without him, but the same could be said for a number of players.

Lynch is just not good as I thought he would be.

Personally, I was hoping for more than a few very good games, a few below average games and a whole lot of passable 'bringing it to ground' games.

if you are satisfied with his output thus far then fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1819 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:31 AM »
Spoken like a slick fella under 6 feet tall...:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1820 on: June 11, 2021, 04:09:05 AM »

So do you think we would have won back to back flags without him I doubt it.He commands the best defender and his fotm in 2019 was good.Let's not forget the role Dimma asked him to play to.

No, I dont think we would have won back to back without him, but the same could be said for a number of players.

Lynch is just not good as I thought he would be.

Personally, I was hoping for more than a few very good games, a few below average games and a whole lot of passable 'bringing it to ground' games.

if you are satisfied with his output thus far then fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Exactly. You could easily say George has been just as important to our flags but nobody would make such a fuss about him.

Lynch since 2019 plays maybe a handful of great games a year, if that. The rest are 'Rioli' games where he is 'bringing the ball to ground' much like Rioli is 'guarding space'. I just want him to do his job - take marks and kick goals. His marking has been average, his ground work has gone backwards, and for a guy that was kicking beautifully in 2019 he has become very unreliable in front of goal - heck he even made that recent list of the top 10 worst set shots.

So yes, if he doesn't recapture his best form and this is indeed his new baseline, do we need him? We have finally all let go of Rioli's 2017 form. One day 2019 and a few games here and there won't be enough from Lynch.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1821 on: June 11, 2021, 04:18:57 AM »
I'm sorry, but you lose all credibility when you say an argument could be made that Jason Castagna was as important to us winning flags as Lynch :lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1822 on: June 11, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
People easily forget the impact of a fit Lynch on Jack and the smalls in our forward line. They tend to take it in turns in the forward line - the sum of the parts is the better way to look at Tom Lynch and his contribution.
My only knock is that it would be great if he could deliver a chop out in the ruck for Nank, the extra midfielder in the ruck thing is yesterday’s news.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1823 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but you lose all credibility when you say an argument could be made that Jason Castagna was as important to us winning flags as Lynch :lol

Sounds to me like you're forgetting his clutch goals vs Geelong in 2019. Don't think we would have won that game without him (and Lynch).

Regardless, all of them played a role and contributed. Even Rioli put a nail in the GWS coffin in 2017 but has since been a shadow of his former self. I hope Lynch doesn't go the same way but if he does no doubt the fanboys will be clinging to 2019 form for argument's sake.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1824 on: July 01, 2021, 03:56:32 AM »
The media are focusing on off the ball stuff already  ::).

Tom Lynch and Sam Collins will renew their rivalry on Thursday night as both return from injury for Gold Coast and Richmond's relocated match at Marvel Stadium.

When the teams met at the Gabba in 2020, Lynch received a $1000 fine for striking Collins with a blow to the stomach, riling his Suns opponent in the process.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/639558/teams-tigers-suns-hit-with-huge-outs-but-tom-v-sam-rivalry-is-on

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1825 on: July 01, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »
Played good tonight one of the few

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1826 on: July 01, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »
Would kick a hundred if the umps paid him the stuff our opposition forwards got. Collins tackled him out of every marking contest and got away with it.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1827 on: July 01, 2021, 10:05:45 PM »
Still misses easy ones at crucial times though... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1828 on: July 01, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
Our only winner Tonight

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1829 on: July 01, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »
One of the few who can hold their head up (aside from that one he rushed and missed in the last qtr).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd