Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 409941 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #2085 on: February 09, 2023, 06:59:53 PM »
No - only because I unfortunately expect him to be injured for min. 5-6 games.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2086 on: February 11, 2023, 06:53:40 PM »
7news saying Lynch is an outside chance to play in our intra-club next week.

ps. I'm presuming it's on next Saturday?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tom Lynch / Outgoing Suns chairman's frank view of free agency (SEN)
« Reply #2087 on: February 15, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »
“THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER”: OUTGOING SUNS CHAIRMAN’S FRANK VIEW OF AFL FREE AGENCY

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
15 February 2023

Outgoing Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane believes the AFL has to change the rules around free agency.

The Suns lost their captain and star forward Tom Lynch to Richmond at the end of 2018 after the Tigers had won a premiership (2017) and then played in a prelim final.

Gold Coast received pick 3 in that year’s draft as compensation after Lynch spent eight years in Suns colours.

In recent years, clubs closer to the top of the ladder have been the beneficiaries of free agency with quality players often opting to move to a team inside or near a premiership window.

As he gets set to depart his post at the Suns, Cochrane implored the AFL to make the rule fairer for all clubs, particularly those closer to the bottom.

“We’ve got to get rid of some silly things,” he said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“In fairness, top clubs have exploited them very cleverly, 10 out of 10 to them, I’m not saying I wouldn’t do the same in their shoes.

“For example, if I go back to when we lost Tom Lynch. We lost a captain and we lost a great footballer, he has proven that, done tremendous things at Richmond.

“But we lost him and got a pick 3 or something as his replacement. That’s tremendous, but as a club you go right back to the bottom of the well to start again to create the new Tom Lynch, who is going to be an 18-year-old who is a terrific kid and all of that. But you’re going to be four or five years away before you’ve got a really valuable player and you’re probably longer away to getting another Tom Lynch.

“It makes the system pretty hard, whereas Richmond, ok, they lost their first-round pick that year. That doesn’t really affect them very much at all because they’ve got a pretty balanced list and they’ve just topped up with a superstar. In fact, they’ve topped up with a captain from another club.

“There’s got to be a more fair way to address that for all clubs and if you don’t, the problem is you’re going to have some clubs perennially down the bottom unless they’ve got a lot of luck and a few things going their way all of a sudden.”

Free agency was first floated as an idea to benefit teams near the bottom of the ladder but it hasn’t quite worked out that way, Cochrane believes.

“The reality it is, it’s the old - to quote a famous line from Midnight Oil - ‘The rich get richer. The poor get the picture’,” Cochrane added.

“The truth of the matter is, it hasn’t helped the bottom clubs at all.

“If you go and study it carefully it’s been a tremendous assistance towards the top of the ladder.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/14/the-truth-of-the-matter-outgoing-suns-chairmans-frank-view-of-afl-free/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2088 on: February 15, 2023, 05:46:26 PM »
Free agency was pushed by the players association and was always for the benefit of the players.

It's not an equalisation measure, period.

AFL can do more to improve equalisation (personally I like the idea of increased TPP and soft cap etc, tapering off up the ladder)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2089 on: February 18, 2023, 06:56:52 PM »
Lynch, 30, is expected to return to full training next week. The star forward was the best-and-fairest award last season, having led the club’s goal-kicking for a second time. The Tigers have yet to confirm whether he will play in any of the warm-up matches.

“He’s getting back gradually into training. Last week he started drip-feeding into some of our drills and again today,” assistant coach Xavier Clarke said.

“He should be fully into training next week, so he’ll be available for round one.”

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2090 on: March 02, 2023, 03:46:26 PM »
FORMER AFL RECRUITER NAMES HIS SMOKEY AND 2023 COLEMAN MEDAL PICK

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
March 2, 2023

After kicking 63 goals from 19 games in 2022, Rendell expects Lynch to dominate again as the clear number one target for the Tigers.

“I’m probably going to take Lynch,” Rendell said.

“He’s not going to play every week, Jack (Riewoldt).

“I think Richmond are going to be really good, so I think the ball is going to get to Lynch a lot.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/01/former-afl-recruiter-names-his-smokey-and-2023-coleman-medal-pick/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2091 on: March 12, 2023, 04:23:53 PM »
Who holds the keys to success? Your club's most important player

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
12 March 2023

Tom Lynch

At this current point in time, Lynch is simply irreplaceable in Richmond's line-up. Samson Ryan has shown some nice signs over summer, but still has some way to go in continuing his development. Lynch has taken greater ownership over the forward line after working in tandem with Jack Riewoldt, who will turn 35 this year. The ex-Suns captain's strong contested marks are key links in the chain for the Tigers, and failing that, his ability to at least neutralise a contest is beneficial for Maurice Rioli jnr, Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin. The Tigers had a 12-7 win-loss rate with Lynch playing last year, but only went at 1-3 (and a draw) in matches he missed or was subbed off through injury.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/880192/who-holds-the-keys-to-success-your-club-s-most-important-player

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2092 on: March 14, 2023, 06:28:26 PM »
Lynch's presser today:

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1282170/-we-are-hoping-the-tiger-army-come-out-and-support-us-lynch

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Lynch is ready to go for the Tigers' opener against the Blues

By AAP
14 March 2023

SPEARHEAD Tom Lynch has declared himself fit and ready to fire in Richmond's season-opener against Carlton, putting the foot injury that limited his summer behind him.

Lynch had pre-season foot surgery and then had to build fitness, but he played three quarters against Melbourne in Richmond's final scratch match.

The imposing Tiger, who booted 63 goals last year, didn't expect to have to manage the injury throughout the season.

"Feeling really good. It was great to play three quarters against Melbourne and it was a good intro into round one. So I'm fully fit and good to go," he told reporters.

"I was pretty confident (of playing round one). The longer it went, obviously time was getting away from me a bit but then I turned the corner pretty quickly and progressed through.

"So I was always fairly confident that we got the surgery done with plenty of time to get up for round one.

"It'll be fine. I've done a fair bit of work with Jack Graham in the rehab group, we did a lot of (kilometres) together. So I think it'll be fine – I'll be like a normal player and just train as much as I can."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/882129/star-good-to-go-in-boost-for-tigers-ahead-of-opener

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2093 on: March 14, 2023, 11:12:29 PM »
If Riewoldt struggles then Tom is going to have to do it the hard way being double teamed at the least all the time. That is why im so bullish about playing Ryan Miller fwd.
Its funny we all talk about the need to find another tall fwd or at worst a fwd/ruck but not many it seems want it to happen.
For it to happen we actually have to get games into a younger player. We have a few options Miller, Ryan, Bradtke and Bauer. The first two are the most likely atm and of course we can continue to try Balta fwd when Gibcus and Tarrant are fit. The point is we need to develop someone and now.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2094 on: March 16, 2023, 10:07:01 PM »
Worth every cent we paid for him

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2095 on: March 16, 2023, 10:09:30 PM »
Clutch well done Tom
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2096 on: March 16, 2023, 10:36:17 PM »
Such a beast. Too often kick it to his heavy disadvantage. If we can get it to him atleast in a 50-50 he’ll win them more often than not. Hopefully we can kick it to his advantage every now and then too…..

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2097 on: March 16, 2023, 11:57:21 PM »
Worked into the game and looks ominous for the year :D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2098 on: March 17, 2023, 02:44:30 AM »
Clutch contested mark and kick for goal :thumbsup.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1636333055961956354

-------------------------------

Lynch was the hero on Thursday night after having the opportunity to seal an elimination final win last year, his shot back then deemed to have clipped the post.

"He probably came into the game as we knew he would. He had three quarters of a game last week, and as the game progressed, he got a lot better," Hardwick said.

"I thought he looked strong, gave a good contest. You look behind the ball, guys like Weitering, Young are really good defenders, McGovern as well, so we certainly had our hands full. I thought he battled really well.

"I was hoping (he'd convert). I was (confident), I think he missed one earlier or it was on the full, but he's generally a pretty good shot at goal. I was happy with that one. We had a couple of stinkers along the way, but sometimes you have to make your own luck.

"At least it didn't hit the post."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2099 on: March 26, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
7news just said there's injury worries with Lynch too. Looked like from the brief vision he went in for scans too?

More in the sports report after the break.