Author Topic: Richmond FC+RFCs GREEK Supporters+ GREEK Fires  (Read 1231 times)

Ramps

Richmond FC+RFCs GREEK Supporters+ GREEK Fires
« on: August 30, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »
As many of you are aware, half of Greece has basically been burnt by firebugs lighting fires in strong winds in wild bush throughout Greece, whilst this may not seem a Richmond thing, I just wanna point out that in the 1950s and 1960s the suburb of Richmond received many thousands of greek migrants. And those people and there children adopted Richmond as there AFL club. Its also a fact that our club has a large greek support base. In that context and considering that those people have supported there club through thick and thin I think that the club should consider making a small donation to the GREEK FIRE APPEAL which is currently being run on 3xy. The campaign has only been running for only a day or so and has raised in excess of $300,000 from the general community and that doesnt include major donations by companies like Bank of Cyprus who donated $3 million.

Anyway, I know people will say this has nothing to do with us, but i think in light of the contribution made to the club over 40 or 50 years a community who has strongly backed the club, the club could chip in $2 or $3000.

Beleive me all dollars are invaluable. People have lost there houses, farms, there livelihoods, many lost there lives fighting fires the last week.

A small contribution by our club will strongly strengthen the support of the greek community towards it NOW and well into the future, and I believe the club through steve wright should ask the president Gary March to allow the club to make a contribution in this way.

For those wanting to donate, people can ring 3xy on 94951422. They do know how to speak english and will give details.

Regards

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond FC+RFCs GREEK Supporters+ GREEK Fires
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
Ramps, have you contacted the Club about this?

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:31:25 PM »
No I havent, but i reached the conclusion today that every dollar helps and that RFC can secure the future support of a big community by showing the same goodwill that those people have shown. I havent phoned coz im not sure they would look at this seriously- at the club i mean.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
I'd kick in afew Drachma.

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
Lots of people have kicked in, but if our club could find its way through to put in afew thousand then the goodwill coming and going will be fantastic for our club and as i said before strengthen an important relationship the club has with one community.

Just wanna say, yes im of greek descent, but if we had a large italian base and italy was copping the same, id be wanting the club to make a contribution as well.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:25:19 PM »
Great cause Ramps as a fellow Hellene myself. Lets hope these fires can cease and life return back to normal. My background is from the Pelopponese and much of it has been burnt. Fortunantely family is all okay although some neighbouring villages close to where my parents are from have suffered. Seeing what damage the fires can do especially living through the graphic images of Ash Wednesday and more recently the Sydney fires and those in Gippsland I can only imagine the type of devastation and loss that is occurring.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »

For those wanting to donate, people can ring 3xy on 94951422. They do know how to speak english and will give details.

Regards

lol @ 3xy - that was about the time of ash wednesday, which I was pretty close.

Greece can look after itself - they are probably more interested in property loss and historical poo than wildlife loss.

Might sound cruel, it's the cycle of things.

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:18:33 PM »
if people didnt give a poo about anything CUB then thats disappointing. its your right to also fine to have an opinion which says "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things"

But what about RFC. RFC has had a poo cycle for 27 years ... but you dont see us saying "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things" We'll all pee off now and not go to games, or buy memberships. At some stage footy clubs have to do things which is in support of different parts of their support base. This is an easy and relatively valueable way to  ENHANCE the reputation of the RFC for not alot of cost.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:51:54 PM »
if people didnt give a pooh about anything CUB then thats disappointing. its your right to also fine to have an opinion which says "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things"

But what about RFC. RFC has had a pooh cycle for 27 years ... but you dont see us saying "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things" We'll all pee off now and not go to games, or buy memberships. At some stage footy clubs have to do things which is in support of different parts of their support base. This is an easy and relatively valueable way to  ENHANCE the reputation of the RFC for not alot of cost.

but by the same token,the Greek community hasn't thrown the $$$ at the club,as it has burned for the last 27 years.....

If they had of,we would be looking at an all Greek board and also have an affiliate soccer team. :scream

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »
if people didnt give a pooh about anything CUB then thats disappointing. its your right to also fine to have an opinion which says "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things"

But what about RFC. RFC has had a pooh cycle for 27 years ... but you dont see us saying "Might sound cruel, its the cycle of things" We'll all pee off now and not go to games, or buy memberships. At some stage footy clubs have to do things which is in support of different parts of their support base. This is an easy and relatively valueable way to  ENHANCE the reputation of the RFC for not alot of cost.

hey ramps, been lots of fires in sicily too this summer there, no mention. only time sicily gets a mention is when  something big mafia wise happens or mt etna erupts.

but dont stress, i put in a donation   :thumbsup and i actually have 6 cousins of mine from sicily in greece atm helping fight the fires  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
People can do what they like in terms of donations to the Greek fire cause that is fine,
but in terms of the RFC burning over the last 25 years or the lack of Greek money at the club perhaps they may not have thrown as much as some more influential and affluent supporters but they have stayed loyal continually buying their memberships and supporting the club year after year. Each true supporter will make an effort for the club you cannot undervalue that contribution merely because it is not as great as someone who may throw money by the bucketloads.  Just b/c my contribution may be an annual membership and a couple of trips a year to the Tigers Den does not mean I do not feel the pain at the lack of success over that period of time and that is not to say that a Greek board member at Richmond would be deficient or negligent of his/her duty serving the Footy Club or anybody from any other ethnic minority for that matter.

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »
Id suggest that atleast 20% of Richmonds membership base is from the greek community. I reckon 20% + of a membership base is big dollars to the club.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »
Id suggest that atleast 20% of Richmonds membership base is from the greek community. I reckon 20% + of a membership base is big dollars to the club.

i think u r right ramps,

remember richos 200th game v port at the dome.  iirc, very poor crowd and showing that day and iirc it was greek easter that that day which proves ur theory correct

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:42:13 AM »
by the way to all the people on here who have made a contribution.

Just wanna say Thanks to all of you. Last I heard the radiothon was still going strong.