Author Topic: Family Day 2006 - Tigers Picnic in the Park  (Read 2492 times)

Moi

Re: Family Day 2006 - Tigers Picnic in the Park
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
Who wants to buy me a new camera - MJS - anyone lol
Oh well, is something i guess  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »
Good to hear today was such a great success.

Poor Cleve. As a first year player he was always vunerable lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
The SE of melbourne is Richmonds major support zone. We should be harnessing our support out there and we certainly shouldnt allow Hawthorn to do whatever they want out there. Richmond should sell up the Wantirna Club and find another venue in the Glen Waverley area...a pub, a club like the Waverley RSL would be alright (as an example), the club should also look at Central Reseve to play reserves games. I really believe as a club we should do that. We have no future with Coburg in terms of reserves. Richmonds future is out in the SE for mine...atleast in terms of support anyway!

We have a huge supporter base along the Frankston line too. Probably second behind the Saints going by how packed the footy trains are. In hindsight we probably should have shacked up with Springvale as our affiliated VFL club before the Saints did. They could of linked up with Frankston (same colours). We don't have the finances to have our own reserves side such as in the Waverley area.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
It was a good day, even if it was a 45 minute drive out there for me and I had to park so far away.

Great turn out, hence why the queues were so bloody looooooooong at everything.

And the numbers on the jumpers - dare I say it - I think they may have gotten it right this year :clapping The numbers are more rounded and were very easy to read
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »
on a rainy day, with dark clouds overhead, thats when we'll know with the numbers, for mine they should of been fatter still.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' Picnic in the Park a resounding success (RFC site)
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
Tigers' Picnic in the Park a resounding success
2:42:00 PM Mon 20 March, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Tribal Fever was on display in all its passionate glory at Jells Park, Wheelers Hill yesterday (Sunday, March 19) when more than 5000 Richmond supporters gathered to celebrate the Tigers' annual Family Day.

The popular event had to be shifted away from Punt Road this year due to Commonwealth Games parking restrictions, so the Club turned to its traditional suburban recruiting heartland as a substitute venue.

Given the overwhelming success of the day, it certainly won't be the last time Jells Park plays host to the Tiger Tribe.

Richmond's CEO Steven Wright was understandably delighted with the huge turnout at Family Day.

"Driving out to Jells Park, I had no idea how many people would come to Family Day. After all, it was away from Punt Road, the Commonwealth Games marathons were on, there were major traffic disruptions in Melbourne, and the MCG had been sold to capacity. To be honest, I was expecting less than 2500 people," Wright said.

"Yet, despite all that, we managed to smash our previous Family Day attendance records, with a crowd conservatively estimated at 5000. We sold substantially more memberships than last year and had fans eagerly queuing all day to get players' autographs, have their photo taken with the players, and even to take shots at 'dunking' the players.

"It shows that even when we move from the hallowed turf of Punt Road, the fans will continue to support us and, in fact, moving other activities into the heartland of the eastern suburbs on occasions is something we will need to consider, given the clear levels of support we have in that region.

"It was a great day all-round, and a real team effort by all the Club's staff who worked there to make everything run as smoothly as possible."

Although the queues to the autograph booths at one stage were as long as two (or maybe even three) Brett Deledio 'torps', the fans weren't complaining. They simply reveled in the wonderful Tigerish atmosphere which pervaded the spacious Jells Park on a superb autumn Sunday.

There was already a good crowd in attendance by 10.30am when the Family Day festivities officially kicked off.

By 12.30pm when Richmond coach Terry Wallace took centre stage to introduce the players and present their 2006 guernseys, Jells Park had been turned into a sea of Yellow and Black.

Wallace told the attentive audience that one of the major attractions of the Richmond coaching job in the first place, was the Club's huge supporter base.

The vast numbers at the Jells Park Family Day further highlighted this - and had Wallace hoping for similar support when the Tiger team does battle on the field throughout the '06 season.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurestories&spg=display&articleid=251858

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers' Picnic in the Park a resounding success (RFC site)
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 03:44:12 PM »
We sold substantially more memberships than last year

"It shows that even when we move from the hallowed turf of Punt Road, the fans will continue to support us and, in fact, moving other activities into the heartland of the eastern suburbs on occasions is something we will need to consider, given the clear levels of support we have in that region.

Steven Wright is on the same wavelength as yourself Ramps :thumbsup.

Good news about the memberships.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »
Hawthorn will try and nab future generations of RFC support in the SE. We cannot and should not allow this to occur. The SE suburbs belong to us, Steve Wright seems like a smart guy, clearly has sensed the trends...now he needs to harness that support and seek to expand it by conducting events out in the Waverley corridor.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 11:56:55 PM »
Hawthorn will try and nab future generations of RFC support in the SE. We cannot and should not allow this to occur. The SE suburbs belong to us, Steve Wright seems like a smart guy, clearly has sensed the trends...now he needs to harness that support and seek to expand it by conducting events out in the Waverley corridor.

It would have been easier for Hawthorn and the Saints to build up their following in the SE suburbs ahead of ours if matches were still played at Waverley. The AFL did us a favour in more ways than one selling it (never a fan of that ground as you can see :nope).

We need to in the next few years start winning games and make the finals consistently. The Saints show what kind of support can be generated on the back of hype of potential success. Combine it a strong consistent presence in the region with things such as regular school visits and shopping centre appearances by our young marque players (Lids, Cogs, Blingers etc) and various family functions like Sunday's. In other words don't give kids a reason to look elsewhere ;). Our colours, the Tiger, our theme song are No. 1. Put that together with a top side and the young cubs will have bragging rights at school :thumbsup.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »

It would have been easier for Hawthorn and the Saints to build up their following in the SE suburbs ahead of ours if matches were still played at Waverley. The AFL did us a favour in more ways than one selling it (never a fan of that ground as you can see :nope).

We need to in the next few years start winning games and make the finals consistently. The Saints show what kind of support can be generated on the back of hype of potential success. Combine it a strong consistent presence in the region with things such as regular school visits and shopping centre appearances by our young marque players (Lids, Cogs, Blingers etc) and various family functions like Sunday's. In other words don't give kids a reason to look elsewhere ;). Our colours, the Tiger, our theme song are No. 1. Put that together with a top side and the young cubs will have bragging rights at school :thumbsup.
Gotcha!! MT :thumbsup :thumbsup :gotigers

Moi

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:31 AM »
I went to this trivia night a few years back at a school thingee out at Cranbourne.  There were a few footy questions, and every time Richmond was mentioned, the whole room started cheering and singing the theme song lol.  It was great to be there and had me thinking how much support do we have out in that area.

I say have the family day there every year and you will attract people from this area to come along and those who haven't bought memberships will be encouraged to do so.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »
At the moment im contemplating whether or not i have enough time to organise a SE Tigers club- where we can have restaurant nights and stuff like that in this area and raise some dough. Infact id like to see several of these pop up around Melbourne. Richmond needs to become more supporter based...people need to feel as though they belong.