Author Topic: Hungry Tigers play for their lives (Herald-Sun)  (Read 642 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hungry Tigers play for their lives (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:16:45 AM »
Hungry Tigers play for their lives
Jon Pierik
Herald-Sun
17mar06

RICHMOND captain Kane Johnson says eight spots are still up for grabs for Round 1 as the Tigers prepare for today's practice match against Essendon at Mildura.

In the final week of practice matches ahead of the season, which starts on March 30, Johnson said the club's fringe players had to impress now.
"It's every player's last chance to push their name up and we have got a lot of blokes vying for a spot," he said.

"We have seven or eight vying for a bench position or a ground spot for Round 1."

The Tigers have flown their blue-chip talent to Mildura, with coach Terry Wallace keen to use the match as a full dress rehearsal for the Round 1 clash with the Western Bulldogs.

"I think we need to play everyone and get everyone up and running for the Bulldogs," Johnson said.

"I think Essendon will do the same thing.

"It will be a good hitout."

Game-breaker Nathan Brown has impressed in his comeback from a broken leg and seems certain to play in Round 1.

"For him to show that form after a break like that is sensational," Johnson said. "If he can be half as good as he was last year then it's going to be a major bonus for us."

Johnson says if the Tigers can be consistent, their true ranking will be shown.

"We need to have a more even performance from every player – not just a good performance one week and then down the next," he said.

"We need everyone to be consistent and if we can get that, we can get our 12 or 13 wins and get in the finals.

"I think we've been very up and down in the past. We might have started the year well and dropped right away."

Entering his second season as skipper, Johnson, a premiership player with Adelaide, understands his role better.

"Having a pre-season has helped my captaincy," he said. "Last year I got it just before Round 1, so I have had the pre-season to go into it and work out some things with the leadership group.

"There has been a big emphasis on the leadership group taking over where the club goes and we have done a fair bit of work on that."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18496245%255E20322,00.html