Author Topic: R-E-S-P-E-C-T  (Read 978 times)

Moi

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
Everyone craves it in one form or another.
But I ask the question:  Is it relevant with football clubs?

Every year we hear we want the football community's respect.
Why?

Carlton would have had it years ago - how long did it take us to have none for them?  Not long.
Same with other powerhouses like North and Hawthorn - gone from kings to rabble within a decade.

If Brisbane come up again, you'd have to respect that, but if they don't, will we still admire them?

Respect, when it comes to footy is short-lived on a team basis, IMO.  Individuals seem to earn it, like the Robert Harveys and Vosses of this world.  Wouldn't matter if they were playing in the bottom team, the way they go/went about their business was championlike, both on the field and off.

For what it's worth, I respect my club.  I know the difficulties they have faced over the years.  Probably have the same respect for the likes of the Bulldogs who have battled, yet realistically they should have folded years ago.

So to me, it's not really what a super power you are, it's how you face crises and overcome, how each individual goes about their footy.  If you get enough individuals who cared about how they performed rather than caring about what others think, probably gonna go places quicker.

Do we need it?  Either you do or you don't respect clubs - but does it matter?

Discuss lol

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: R-E-S-P-E-C-T
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Respect is not relevant if you're very good.
It used to work ok for me when the club was hated. We were so good that it didn't matter what anyone thought.

Conversely, it probably is relevant if you're not very good. What anyone thinks can cut to the quick.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »
North Melbourne had all the 'respect' in the world when they made the finals in '05. Gone from kings to rabble in 24 games!! The vultures have got Laidley written off already! 
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
When an opposition club starts doing cartwheels after beating you then that's probably a sign of respect in a footy sense. They rate you so highly. Remember when Mark Williams said Port would get more out of training at the 'G than playing against us. That was the ultimate insult and show of disrespect.

I cringe everytime at the start of the year when someone from Richmond comes out and says we are after respect. You won't get it begging for it  :scream  :help. You only earn respect in footy by winning often and winning the big games. From a player point of view it's standing up and performing matchwinning acts in the big games consistently.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
respect is a load of crap, it has been ever since the vfl became the afl

when players stopped playing for the jumper and started playing for the $$$$$$
respect was lost.

how the f are supporters, opponents, general public, media suppost to respect your club when the fikken players dont respect the jumper nor play with the heart and passion that once thrived at nearly every club, esp ours.

opponents , ppl, supportes etc, will only start respecting us when our bloody dumb@rse players start playing with honor, pride and heart.

then we will have respect

Moi

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
when players stopped playing for the jumper and started playing for the $$$$$$
respect was lost.
Players like Matty Knights and Andrew Kellaway would probably say the reverse.  Gave my all and the club dumped me.  That's just the system we work in these day = a club can't expect loyalty if it can't give it themselves.  You gotta respect players like them to want to play with the most unsuccessful team for 20 years.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »
true moi

basically comes down to the coach

sheedy and matthews are the 2 most respected coaches in my opinion

northey was the last coach we had he demanded respect and he was screwed or he screwed us , depending which story u believe.

b4 that hafey was the last coach who commanded respect

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:00:52 AM »
18 or so Tigers didn't have it yesterday. Not for themselves, their teammates or the guernsey.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
thats right.

and i am not being rextive , im being realistic.

when a team loses like they did last night, it comes down to the coach and his staff. the players played that way because the coaches coach that way.

how can the kids respect the place and jumper when the coach and miller dont.

something must be seriously wrong when a team capitulates like that and playes like that.

the coach is accountable and i dont care if we lose money its time the board shoved miller out and he cuts all ties with us and its time terry was sacked .

its quite clear that terry has no idea what he is dioing,. any half decent coach after quarter time would have done something to stop the onslaught, but terry didnt. he just let our team become more and more embarrassing and losses like that scar kids, they dont learn from them at all.

when it comes to the crunch, players only play for the coach, obviously our kids dont respect terry and it really showed last night.

we had 2 kids play last night with respect for terry, foley and tambling, great effort by blingers playing with that shoulder . richo played his heart out but not for terry, he did it for the club and jumper, the rest were in dreamworld.

how can the team play with desire when we have a captain who is a bucket of turd. newman is not the answer either, he is also part of the frawley failuer and he showed no leadership last night.

hand teh captaincy to foley, the only kid who puts in and give the vc to blingers.

these kids will start to earn us respect cos they play with desire

but terry and miller must go

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
but terry and miller must go

Get Voss down there now in some capacity, he can be our 'Harden the f**k up' coach.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »
Yeah - Vossy!!! :thumbsup