Author Topic: Tigers’ Flea Amigos - Rioli, Castagna & Butler - have special buzz (Herald-Sun)  (Read 33673 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
A couple posters look as dumb as dog poo now

Go Rioli

They always did......legends in their own minds..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
George almost took mark of the century  :lol

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
How funny was the handball that Castagna received with his face? In all fairness he is dangerous around the contest and his ground ball gets are fantastic. Not bad in the air either. But his set shot kicking.......Geez Geez!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
How funny was the handball that Castagna received with his face? In all fairness he is dangerous around the contest and his ground ball gets are fantastic. Not bad in the air either. But his set shot kicking.......Geez Geez!

There were some real Benny Hill moments, that handball over the line was pretty funny

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

Go Rioli

How is Lambert travelling Dio?
What was it again, AFL dud?
If you don't remember I know a sad little man that will go searching through old posts for kicks  :wallywink
Went out on a limb calling a rookie a dud and it's made you look like a fool....
 :lol
Too funny!
AFL dud- classic!!

Come on, gives some feedback on the AFL dud, with a slice of humble pie.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think Lambo is a gun, questioned why he was in the team at the beginning of the year. Equally, Rioli basically kept us in the game - each goal was crucial which we all know George would or couldn't do.
I guess my point is that we all get it wrong every now and again. It's to be human
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist

Go Rioli

How is Lambert travelling Dio?
What was it again, AFL dud?
If you don't remember I know a sad little man that will go searching through old posts for kicks  :wallywink
Went out on a limb calling a rookie a dud and it's made you look like a fool....
 :lol
Too funny!
AFL dud- classic!!

Come on, gives some feedback on the AFL dud, with a slice of humble pie.

"suburban footballer" wasn't it  :shh

Nope, jet

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
hand pass receive by face should be a new stat they keep
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The tiny tiger who typifies Richmond's new brand of footy (Foxsports)
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
The tiny tiger who typifies Richmond's new brand of footy

September 26, 2017
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

JASON Castagna typifies the brand of footy Richmond has stamped as its own in 2017.

A small forward who prides himself on pressure, he will often go through matches without impacting on the scoreboard.

In the qualifying final against Geelong he fumbled the ball and loomed as a possible omission against the Giants on Saturday at the MCG.

But he kept his spot.

And opened the match with a blistering first quarter that validated the belief Damien Hardwick has had in him, and his vertically challenged teammates, all year.

“I think ‘Dimma’ has had a lot of confidence in us players, and has kept playing us, but I guess we’ve been inconsistent at times,” Castagna told foxfooty.com.au.

“Everyone has that and then they find their form and it pays off.

“I had a couple of quiet weeks. I thought it picked up a little bit last week and I just want to keep on building and hopefully can keep on building towards the Grand Final.”

When Hardwick told Fox Footy’s On The Couch that Richmond would play finals in 2017, few expected the coach to back up his words with action.

Making the Grand Final — after finishing 13th last season — puts the achievement in another stratosphere altogether.

A lot has been made of the new open culture at Punt Road this season, one that has fostered a sense of unity and belonging.

But Castagna said that was only the tip of the iceberg.

“We’ve just built this belief over the season from evidence of good footy,” he said.

“We’ve always said, ‘why not us?’ but we’ve just focused one week at a time. We’ve made it here to the Grand Final. Now we just look forward to that.

“I feel like we’ve been building and building and getting towards our best footy.

“Hopefully we can keep building next week.”

The Richmond ‘mosquito fleet’ — consisting of Castagna, Daniel Rioli and Dan Butler — has undermined the theory that a functioning forward line requires two talls.

And while the Tigers have relied on some input from the likes of Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin — and in the latter part of the year Jacob Townsend — to create a winning score, it’s the mosquito fleet, along with Jack Riewoldt, that has been a constant.

“The main thing we focus on is our pressure,” Castagna said.

“Sometimes our offensive output isn’t as high for some of us, but it kind of evens out over the whole season.”

On Saturday it was Rioli who impacted the scoreboard, kicking four goals in a match that only enhanced the reputation of his famous football family.

Castagna said he wasn’t surprised to see his mate have a breakout game, having witnessed his supreme skill at training all year.

“He was pretty special today. He kicked four goals and his pressure was still amazing as well. His pressure was awesome,” Castagna said.

“We know he has so much skill and he can do some pretty amazing things.

“He got on the end of a few today, which he could have easily done in other weeks, but he loves passing off. He was great.”

The last and only time Richmond met Adelaide this year was way back in Round 6, when Don Pyke’s men were victorious by 76 points.

It was one of only two poor losses for the club for the season, the other coming at the hands of St Kilda in Round 16.

Castagna only had eight touches that day, while Butler and Rioli combined for three majors.

Despite the huge margin that Sunday evening, Castagna said Richmond held no fear of meeting the Crows for the big dance.

“Most teams we’ve lost to we’ve come back the second time and had a good outing so we’ll be looking to do that against Adelaide,” Castagna said.

“They were pretty impressive (against Geelong), but at the moment we’re playing a good brand of footy and we’re feeling up for anything. It should be a good game.”

Aiding Richmond’s cause is the location of the match: at home on the familiar MCG turf, a distant cry from the parochial Adelaide Oval cauldron.

“I can’t wait to hear that roar again,” Castagna said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-tiny-tiger-who-typifies-richmonds-new-brand-of-footy/news-story/592a6ab7c2adb896e388e21eee685393

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The tiny tiger who typifies Richmond's new brand of footy (Foxsports)
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »

A small forward who prides himself on pressure, he will often go through matches without impacting on the scoreboard.

I think he would impact more if he stopped hand balling through the goals, kicking out of bounds on the full, kicking around the body from straight in front and converting easy shots.

All that being said i am a fan of his general play and hope he can tidy up the conversion part of his game.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The tiny tiger who typifies Richmond's new brand of footy (Foxsports)
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »

I think he would impact more if he stopped hand balling through the goals, kicking out of bounds on the full, kicking around the body from straight in front and converting easy shots.

All that being said i am a fan of his general play and hope he can tidy up the conversion part of his game.
I thought he was really important on the weekend. I know I have a soft spot for the kid but if anyone watches the replay again, watch George closely. He must have halved about 6 high kicks into our forwardline and very nearly took a couple.
I hope he has a great grand final and we have a win.
There is a lot to like about George.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Credit where it's due, I think he was probably one of our best in the first quarter and maybe half. Was the only bloke looking dangerous at that point of time. Don't know why he went around the corner for goal though, he's not a horrible set shot (especially compared to his general play kicking). Unfortunately though, he is a bloke we need to look to improve on and I can see Shai taking his spot as early as next year.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Credit where it's due, I think he was probably one of our best in the first quarter and maybe half. Was the only bloke looking dangerous at that point of time. Don't know why he went around the corner for goal though, he's not a horrible set shot (especially compared to his general play kicking). Unfortunately though, he is a bloke we need to look to improve on and I can see Shai taking his spot as early as next year.
Because he's got no footy brain. He's a hard worker and goes in without thinking but he's one of the worst decision makers I've ever seen. He makes decisions like he fumbles the ball.
If someone can teach him how to think properly and he actually improves his kicking  and he learns to choose the correct option he'd be Eddie Betts.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Where's Claw

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Malcolm Blight questions Tigers' youthful small forwards standing up in GF (HS)
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2017, 03:33:09 AM »
CAN TIGERS' YOUTHFUL SMALL FORWARDS STAND THE HEAT?

Jay Clark
Herald-Sun
28 September 2017

COACHING legend Malcolm Blight has questioned whether Richmond’s youthful small forwards can stand the heat of Saturday’s Grand Final.

Blight, who coached the Crows to two flags, said the inexperience could be a factor for the Tigers as they attempt to win a drought-breaking flag.

Speedsters Daniel Rioli, 20, Dan Butler, 21, and Jason Castagna, 21, and hard nut Jacob Townsend, 24, have played a key role in the stunning revival this year.

Castagna’s bright opening the crushing win over Greater Western Sydney last weekend has bolstered claims for an improved contract deal next season.

But with a combined total of 129 senior games between then, Blight was unsure of the Tigers mosquito fleet could sizzle again in the decider.

“Richmond have done a remarkable job … but they have got four kids in the forward line,” Blight said.

“Last week they kicked eight goals between them, but for the year they have averaged only one goal each (a game).

“Can they repeat that on Grand Final day?

“The forward youngies, they’re terrific players, but it is hard for 25 or 30-game players to bob up on Grand Final day and consistently through finals.

“That might be the slight difference, because other than that they look really evenly matched.”

Richmond’s small forwards have helped the Tigers become one of the AFL’s top pressure sides but Blight, who was made an AFL Coaches Association legend on Tuesday night, predicted a Crows victory based on their evenness.

Castagna remains unsigned beyond next season and is pushing for a new deal to stay at Punt Rd beyond next season.

While his pace and pressure is believed to have some attracted rival interest, the Warrandyte speedster can go a long way to inking a new agreement with another strong performance at the MCG this weekend.

He has averaged 11 possessions and five score involvements a game this season, but is rated above average for forward line pressure, according to Champion Data.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-september-27-2017/news-story/7c704d3fb5226287806060571f725c3b