Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902017 times)

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6330 on: July 18, 2023, 12:39:15 PM »
‘Everyone do it, who cares?!’ Host blows up as Dusty avoids ‘cheap shot’ ban ‘because he’s Dusty’

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
July 17th, 2023 9:46 pm

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has been slammed for his “cheap shot” elbow by Fox Footy’s Mark Robinson, who warned the AFL had set a dangerous precedent by only handing the Tiger a fine.

Martin escaped a ban for his off-the-ball elbow that dropped Eagle Alex Witherden to the turf during the win over West Coast on Sunday.

And the Match Review’s finding left Robinson fuming as he labelled Martin’s actions “unacceptable”.

“If you flagrantly send an elbow back into the darkness, I know it only hit him (in the chest), but if you send it back, you lose your right to play,” Robinson said on AFL 360.

“Because that’s not in the rules to flail an elbow back.

“What if it’s flicked up and hit him in the jaw? ‘Sorry I didn’t mean to do it’ – you did it!

“The AFL says ‘Nah it’s OK Dusty, you’ll be right, the contact wasn’t really severe’.

“So we’re going to allow that kids!

“All you kids out there, do it this weekend. (Co-host Gerard Whateley interjects: “Don’t say that!”) But this is the problem, Gerard.

“They’ll see it, and they’ll do it.

“He’s guilty, suspend him.”

While admitting he was being “facetious” by calling on kids to copy Martin’s moves, Robinson was left angered by the $3000 fine handed to the Tiger with an early guilty plea.

“The swinging elbow back has always been frowned upon. It’s a pretty cheap shot,” he lamented.

“To flail back to a guy who’s not expecting it.

“The AFL should have said, ‘No you’re out Dusty, you can sit. We don’t care who you are, that’s unacceptable in our game’.

“And kids don’t do that.

“The point I was making now, I was being facetious, if we’re going to allow that and not be a suspension, ah well, might as well do it. Everyone do it this weekend – who cares!”

Robinson said he believed the AFL took a lighter stance on Martin because of his standing as a great of the game – a three-time Norm Smith medallist and three-time premiership star.

“I feel because it’s Dustin Martin he got off,” he said.

“I was watching The Last Dance … and it was about Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird complaining that Michael Johnson never gets fouls called against him and I’m sitting here thinking, I betcha he gets off because it’s Dustin Martin and people say, that’s ridiculous.”

Hawk Jai Newcombe was also slapped with a fine for his “cheap punch to the guts” on Roo Harry Sheezel, but walked away with a $2000 penalty.

“It doesn’t make it right,” Robinson said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/everyone-do-it-who-cares-host-blows-up-as-dusty-avoids-cheap-shot-ban-because-hes-dusty/news-story/3df26b43bf5eeb081f2a903ece550678

Robbo is a clown, if it was Merrett he wouldn't say a word. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6331 on: July 18, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
If it was Merret he'd probably applaud him for flying the flag and showing leadership while blaming Witherden for niggling him. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tony_montana

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6332 on: July 18, 2023, 01:59:18 PM »
Has there actually been a player suspended for throwing an elbow to the guts of an oppo?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6333 on: July 19, 2023, 09:11:48 PM »
Sam McClure is at it again making stuff up. This time pushing Dusty to the Suns  ::).

WATCH HERE:https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1681608340265132036

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6334 on: July 19, 2023, 10:11:06 PM »
Flog's been saying that all year. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6335 on: July 20, 2023, 05:01:03 AM »
And last year (Sydney) and the year before that. Last time he had Dusty playing a year for no money :wallywink.

McClure just making up BS again about Dusty for attention seeking clickbait  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6336 on: July 20, 2023, 09:33:59 AM »
hypotethical question, but would anyone begrudge dimma if he happened to lure dusty and anyone else north?

I personally would as i would love to see Dusty finish up at Punt Road, but thats me.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6337 on: July 20, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »
hypotethical question, but would anyone begrudge dimma if he happened to lure dusty and anyone else north?

I personally would as i would love to see Dusty finish up at Punt Road, but thats me.

For me, it all depends on what we get in return.

I take a transactional view of most things in life.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6338 on: July 20, 2023, 10:52:41 AM »

Agree. Given the suns received SFA in that sweat heart deal last year i would expect the same. I hope so anyway

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6339 on: July 20, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »

Well if they said here's a 1st round pick and well pay half Dusty's wage, it would be worth considering wouldn't it?

Ease the cap by $600k/year, make space for a FA (once Cotch and Jack retire as well) and we get pick 4-8 or something.

Worth considering...

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6340 on: July 20, 2023, 02:18:11 PM »
Dusty is contracted and if he went to the GCS the AFL would probaly pay a portion of his pay in an ambassadorial role.

I don't want him to leave as the only player/s who will ever be like Dusty will be Dusty junior marks 1 and 11 and hopefully 111 and 1111.  :cheers

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6341 on: July 20, 2023, 02:23:50 PM »
I want him to reach 350 at tiger land so badly

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6342 on: July 20, 2023, 02:27:46 PM »
I have said this a million times... DUSTY IS GOING NOWHERE. ..

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #6343 on: July 20, 2023, 02:29:16 PM »
I have said this a million times... DUSTY IS GOING NOWHERE. ..

Brace for impact boys. Dusty is gone now  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6344 on: July 20, 2023, 02:56:48 PM »
 :lol