Author Topic: Who will be our next CEO?  (Read 306 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who will be our next CEO?
« on: Yesterday at 03:06:07 PM »
Brendon Gale’s pending departure from Richmond will officially bring to an end one of the club’s greatest eras.

Where do the Tigers turn next?

Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane
HeraldSun
May 11, 2024

Richmond has already started sounding out potential replacements for Brendon Gale as it faces the impossible task of replacing a “giant of the club” amid a Punt Road transformation.

Gale on Friday announced he would leave the Tigers after 30 seasons at Richmond – including 15 years and a premiership dynasty as the club’s chief executive.

His ambitious declaration of three premierships by 2020 was considered laughable until it came true under his vision as Richmond became the first club to hit 100,000 members.

Now with financial security assured president John O’Rourke has already started assessing replacements as Gale prepares to leave at the end of the season at the latest.

As the Tigers prepare for a new era – with a new head recruiter, coach, possibly list boss and maybe without Dustin Martin – there are at least six contenders for Gale’s role.

O’Rourke said on Friday the club would hire a headhunting form but also look internally for a replacement.

He has already spent time having a series of coffee dates with potential contenders for Gale’s role.

A quartet of ‘Simons’ will all be scrutinised – ex-St Kilda CEO Simon Lethlean, ex-Geelong football boss Simon Lloyd, Richmond executive Simon Matthews and Cats chief financial officer Simon Kelleher.

All have claims for the role, while current Geelong and former AFL executive Marcus King could also be considered.

The AFL’s commercial boss Kylie Rogers was also seen as a potential candidate for Hawthorn’s vacant role last year.

She would like to one day be the AFL’s chief executive and a stint as an AFL club chief executive would give her the football aspect of her resume that would put her in position to succeed Dillon.

Lethlean was booted from St Kilda in a power struggle with Ross Lyon but has the right mix of commercial skills and football intelligence to be a good fit for Richmond.

The Tigers will desperately hope list boss Blair Hartley does not follow Gale to Tasmania given the loss this year of head recruiter Matthew Clarke to West Coast.

Former Pies football boss Graham Wright is seen as unlikely to return from his European summer holiday to Collingwood and would be a perfect choice as Gale’s football boss at Tasmania given his acumen and Tasmanian heritage.

So Gale will fulfil his duties until at least the end of the season and possibly later as he attempts to find the missing funding for Richmond’s latest Punt Road development.

Gale can set the vision for the new club alongside its board and try to broker a deal for the Macquarie Point stadium, with former Tigers spearhead Jack Riewoldt also working on the soul and culture of the AFL’s 19th franchise.

Gale said on Friday he would remain until year’s end to ensure a “smooth transition” after helping to break a 37-year premiership drought as part of the 2017-2020 trifecta of premierships.

“I think after 15 years and nearly 30 combined as a player it’s the right time,” Gale said.

“The club has an incredible depth of leadership, a great culture, we are renewing and investing in our list and renewing and investing in our facility and it’s the right time to freshen up and invest in new leadership. It’s the right time and it’s right for the club.”

O’Rourke hailed Gale’s imprint on the club and said the timing allowed Richmond to secure the best possible successor.
“We have been given time. We have well considered this so we will be very thorough in our search for a replacement,” O’Rourke said.

“We have a great management team here and Brendon has nurtured a great team so there are strong internal candidates and we are really going to encourage them to take part in the process but we are also obliged to look at the market.
“We will appoint a search firm from next week on. We will take our time and get the decision right.

“Brendon feels this is the right time. He feels the foundations of the club are very strong and it’s a good time to pass the baton. He is a giant of the club and a pivotal figure.”

Simon Lloyd. Picture: Michael Klein

Simon Lethlean. Picture: David Crosling

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brendon-gales-departure-from-richmond-signals-the-end-of-an-era/news-story/f5cfd66376db897eaf3da001a6f71302

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who will be our next CEO?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:27:48 PM »
My tip is Dave Mathew’s from the Giants. He’ll come back to Melbourne to work alongside his brother

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:36:57 PM »
My tip is Dave Mathew’s from the Giants. He’ll come back to Melbourne to work alongside his brother

My tip is his brother will get the gig

Or

Cain Liddle but Simon Matthews for me. Brilliant operator  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:19:20 PM »

Or

Simon in the box seat for sure.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:58:29 AM »
Look outside the square not just within that's my tip.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:37:03 AM »
Hopefully Simon Lloyd
 :cheers :cheers :cheers

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:58:16 PM »

Or

Agreed Willy. Simon is a top shelf operator
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:24:57 PM »
simon matthews will likely get the gig as thats why we do at rfc. Handball it to the next bloke without thorough DD. :shh

Is he really that good? Asking members to pay for a brick because his plan hasnt worked, and on a project that should have started 2 years ago.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:06:14 PM »
simon matthews will likely get the gig as thats why we do at rfc. Handball it to the next bloke without thorough DD. :shh

Is he really that good? Asking members to pay for a brick because his plan hasnt worked, and on a project that should have started 2 years ago.
Spot on.. I can send him a brick if he wants

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:38:16 PM »

What are going on about?

Are you saying "The Brick by Brick" campaign is suddenly the work of Simon Matthews?

Do you have any idea of what his role is?

I get that our Club on the field is in one mighty hole at the moment but you seem to need to bash the entire for things that don't exist or to suit your narrative. The constant bashing for the sake of it is over the top

And BTW if you decide you want to respond try doing it without your normal need to abuse to make you point

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:04:23 PM »
We will choose the wrong Simon.... :propeller
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.