Author Topic: Which tiger player will "breakout" in 2006?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Which tiger player will "breakout" in 2006?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 03:11:56 AM »
Hyde is now one I'm hoping steps up another level into a consistent ballwinner for us in the midfield alongside Sugar, Tuck and Cogs. Hydey looks to have finally regained full confidence again since the headclash he copped last year. He was burning through the midfield in the rebounding drills at training. In fact occasionally he was a bit of a hog lol with his long runs and weaving to break clear.

Rodan is another that may surprise as he's showing no ill effects from his knee. He doesn't appear to have lost any noticeable pace and he's moving freely in all directions.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 04:08:26 AM »
99% of tiger supporters are saying his done, but i don't think he is, IMO he could/should thrive under Wallace's gameplan, as Rodan's natural game is run, run, run.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 06:23:41 AM »
99% of tiger supporters are saying his done, but i don't think he is, IMO he could/should thrive under Wallace's gameplan, as Rodan's natural game is run, run, run.

yes it is , run run run, but never str8 and through the lines, just sideways and usually in the wrong direction. then his decision making and skills are far from acceptable. ppl forget about his poor decisions and skills because all they remember him by is his explosive sideways runs where he usually gets 1/ run down or 2/ put under pressure to make a mistake! he is not as fast as his midget legs make him appear!

there really is no room 4 rodant in our best 22

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006, 05:56:44 PM »

yes it is , run run run, but never str8 and through the lines, just sideways and usually in the wrong direction. then his decision making and skills are far from acceptable. ppl forget about his poor decisions and skills because all they remember him by is his explosive sideways runs where he usually gets 1/ run down or 2/ put under pressure to make a mistake! he is not as fast as his midget legs make him appear!

While I agree with those comments about Rodan from past years, I have to admit he seems to have improved in those areas you've mention X. One thing he is no longer is doing is running too far and holding onto the ball for too long. If there was a game this weekend I would say Rodan would be in our best 22. In both scratch matches he's played in the side with the "names".   

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »
Rodan of 2004 was an average footballer.

He needs to show alot to be part of our long term future.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:34 AM »

Rodan would thrive under Wallace's game plan but i also can't see him fitting in our best 22. Fringe player

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2006, 04:11:57 AM »
Rodan at training is definitely not the Rodan of 2004. While he'll never be a A-grade footballer, his use of the footy has been good and to the team's advantage.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2006, 09:41:40 AM »
Rodan at training is definitely not the Rodan of 2004. While he'll never be a A-grade footballer, his use of the footy has been good and to the team's advantage.

im 1st to admit im not a big fan of rodan and more a sceptic, but he is on our list and in all honesty if he does improve and become a fantastic zippy midfielder and goal sneak , good 4 him and good 4 us. i just hope that he can translate his preseason and training form when it counts. its good to hear at training he isnt holding onto the ball too long MT, as we know you generally play like u train so lets hope he keeps that form up, and if he does hold onto it, lets hope he picks the right time to do so and not get caught and set up fwd thrusts 4 us

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
Now that he has fought for and got that 2 year performance base contract, it's up to him to show in the real stuff he belongs at AFL level.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »
I'm with MT - Rodan and Hyde will have break out years (IMO Hyde had a semi break out year last year.  Had it not been for the head clash he would have been a big chance for the JD medal).  These 2 have the natural game that matches what Terry wants, they like to run and carry the ball.  Early last year they showed that they were really enjoying and implementing this game plan effectively.  Both were struck down with severe injuries last year however.  Fully fit, these 2 will really break out this year.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 03:34:07 PM »
Chris Hyde and Andrew Raines

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 06:50:09 PM »

While I agree with those comments about Rodan from past years, I have to admit he seems to have improved in those areas you've mention X. One thing he is no longer is doing is running too far and holding onto the ball for too long. If there was a game this weekend I would say Rodan would be in our best 22. In both scratch matches he's played in the side with the "names".   

The reason he was being caught so often in 2004 was because he was playing in an environment where the coach taught his players how to become statues and just stand there and offer no running support.  Our game plan in the Frawley days was to chip the ball, mark, turn around, kick and so on.  If a player went against the game plan and actually ran and attacked and carried the ball and took on the opposition (like Rodan did on occassions) he had absolutely no support as his teamates would stand there like witches hats.

Disregard the pre 2005 David Rodan.  Expect a completely new player that will have a great impact to our team under a completely new style of play.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 09:07:15 AM »

I have always had a soft spot for Raines

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »

Needs a big 2006 like the rest of his 'class of 2003' mates.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »

Needs a big 2006 like the rest of his 'class of 2003' mates.

Watching training you feel he's on the verge but still not quite there IMO. The first trial game will give a better idea.