Author Topic: Tigers reach the tipping point! (Inside Football)  (Read 548 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers reach the tipping point! (Inside Football)
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:23:13 AM »
Tigers reach the tipping point!
David King
Pre-match address - Inside Football

If Richmond played your team this week, ask yourself, who would win?

I strongly believe that, aside from Collingwood and possibly Geelong, they are at minimum a 50-50 chance to beat any team in the competition.

They have turned the development corner recently and are now moving into the period that allows for sustained finals campaigns, including 2011, built on the back of a Damien Hardwick vision and rigid playing methods.

The Tigers are actually playing a sustainable brand of football that will serve them well in finals; it's tough yet simple, offensively sound yet defensively based.

Statistics may not yet support or endorse their improvements from a defensive point of view but the attitude regarding harassment and tackle pressure has spiked notably and now that the wins are coming and the rewards become obvious, it will become infectious.

Only Gold Coast and Port Adelaide have conceded more goals and needless to say as a unit there is much scope for improvement, but when you see a defender like Dylan Grimes able to stand up like he has in his initial baptism in 2011, it's easy to see a defensive outfit building around him.

The domino effect then allows for Alex Rance and Jake to not be monstered by the "gorillas" as they have been in the past, a massive positive.

Among the club's premier assets are the counter-punch twins off the half back flanks: Brett Deledio and Chris Newman are among the purest, most aggressive defensive weapons in the competition.

Newman defends like his life depends on it and Deledio loves to ignite the team. Between them they've had more than 50 inside-50s, clearly the highest return of any half-back combination.

It is almost impossible to tag both players so this attribute will remain a constant going forward.

The health of the midfield unit has allowed for Trent Cotchin to express to the football world the talents he has.

This young man will win a Brownlow Medal at some stage throughout his career. As Richmond wins more games he will collect more "three voters".

Trent can do it all – from the basic to the sublime – but always with time and precision.

Dustin Martin is only going to get better and smarter with his ball use and with Nathan Foley and Daniel Jackson as back-up, the future looks extremely bright.

Having warded off the poachers from the Gold Coast and potentially the Giants, I believe this is a midfield mix that can remain united and become elite – effective almost immediately.

They do need a ruckman. Angus Graham is not the answer and Tyrone Vickery looks a better option as a key forward.

Andrew Browne I've always felt has a heart as large as Phar Lap's but is a long term project.

Richmond must trade at the end of 2011 or 2012 to get one!

Don't subject this elite midfield to clearance defeats through lack of hit-out supply.

Only St Kilda has had more hit-outs to advantage against them than Richmond.

The forward line is Jack Riewoldt; we all know how important Jack is to its functionality.

Others have played the "steak knives" roles with aplomb like Jake King, Tyrone Vickery, Robin Nahas – both forward and as a forward running midfielder, Brad Miller has been serviceable and in reality the club is waiting for big boy Ben Griffith, pick 19 a season ago.

Riewoldt has shown the ability to handle multiple defenders and still find ways to impact the scoreboard and although Hardwick would like him to score less of Richmond's total as a percentage, in reality he will always be the major player.

And what a player the Coleman medallist of 2010 has become.

Richmond now has all the tools to this year play finals and seriously challenge within the next two to three years for a premiership.

They must trade, recruit and strategise with this time frame in mind before the Gold Coast enjoy the onfield spoils of their prime draft talent.

The powerhouse that has laid dormant for many years is about to come alive, but this time it's in a sustainable manner and more importantly with elite young talent on the rise with a thirst for success.

Newman, the captain, while possibly not in many eyes a marquee player, sets standards and more importantly he practises what he preaches.

CEO Brendon Gale tends diligently to his portfolio of running the business as a whole but not becoming a spokesman or a baton holder for the football department.

If there is one thing we know about Gale, it's that he will not interfere with the football department, his leadership appears from the outside to be completely selfless, and that is always the case at the successful practices such as Geelong and Brisbane throughout their dynasties.

The coach Damien Hardwick is a driven man, someone the players look to want to play for; they love his simplicity in his tasks and his matter-of-fact meetings without the tedium.

"Good to Great" has been the theme at Geelong since the Brian Cook regime started some 10 years ago and I feel this dynamic sits well with the Tigers.

They need to be prepared to be great, want to be great, and I get the feeling they are.

For the ultimate success may require some off-field courage in recruiting, coaching assistance or any other areas of advantage.

Richmond footy club has stability for the first time since Adam was a boy and now the method is harmonious with elite talent.

The time is now, the tipping point from a developing side to genuine contender is only just around the corner.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/king.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Tigers reach the tipping point! (Inside Football)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »
We are NOT there yet David, not by a long shot, we're up and down like a whores draws, long way to go yet.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
At least he doesn't seem to be taking any credit for our improvement.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
This is a bit like the Cousins media ploy - lift us high so we have further to fall. I must admit that I do agree with his optimistic outlook but no so much his assessment regarding trading, recruitment risk-taking and our stint at the flag in '2 or 3 years time'. I do agree that Gold Coast will be a powerhouse and I fear that we may suffer the same fate against the Suns as the Pies did in the early 2000's where they were the perennial runners up against the Brisbane Lions for years.

I think we need to stay true to out long term goals and recruit/trade for the future and not for the now. That has proven our down-fall for decades. When we are pushing up the ladder and free trading comes in, where we don't have to give up anything to trade for a 25+ year old player, then that would be the time to look to top up.

Positive article though and I can't help but enjoy all the positive media we are gaining presently regardless of my sense of caution.  :gotigers

10 FLAGS

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
I get the feeling that the Victorian clubs will really go after the gold coasts talent, they wont lose all their talent, but they'll lose some.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »

I think we need to stay true to out long term goals and recruit/trade for the future and not for the now. That has proven our down-fall for decades. When we are pushing up the ladder and free trading comes in, where we don't have to give up anything to trade for a 25+ year old player, then that would be the time to look to top up.

While I agree with staying true to long term goals, IMO the most important thing to rectify at our club (and all others) at the moment is our "welfare/development" area.
We have failed to develop or totally lost the abilities of too many young players over the past years.
When one looks at the failures from the five top 20 picks in 2004 to the recent loss of Taylor and Roberts, it is critical that the club concentrates resources on this area.
With levelling out of abilities in recruiting and football development, the way that clubs treat their recruits in a welfare sense has never been more important.
The internet attitude of blaming young men for their inability to handle the huge pressures placed on them when they are recruited is ignorant and unhelpful.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:03:39 PM by RedanTiger »