Author Topic: Petts  (Read 3792 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Petts
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
Yes stop yelling torch.

Petts needs some time in Coburg.  But I don't think Meyer is necessarily the answer.

Tigermonk:  I thought you weren't going to watch Richmond play?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 09:08:27 PM »
Agree with all the sentiments people have been posting.
Yes he backs out of contests and does not do the hard things.
Yes he has only kicked 6 goals since round 2.
Yes he butchers the ball or takes a mark and holds it up allowing defenders to stream back.
Yes he is a receiver. All clubs have receivers and they all go through their slumps. Even if Brown Riewoldt etc come back you'll find Petts retain his place in the side.
As for the poster claiming Meyer was his logical repalcement. I do not think so.
Just to give an example Dale Thomas is a receiver also. I remember the first half against us in rd 3 he was lost yet once the Pies got on a roll after half time he was very flashy running on the outside of packs to receive a handball and then to take his trademark bounce and have a long kick and do the easy things that many call brilliant. Medhurst another one with four second half goals. When the rub of the green is going your way yo find that these players are everywhere and doing everything. If Pies go on to win 3 games in their next 12 I wonder how Thomas will go? Last year during our mid season revival Petts was an integral part of kicking two to three goals per week. The form of these type of players depends on the overall form of the team. Furthermore the movement into our forward line is very very stagnant so Petts possessions are also well up the ground and hence have less of an overall impact. Look a run in Coburg will give him the kick up the bum he deserves but he should not be alone in going down to Coburg. Terry if he had the balls should send down a few of his missing in action mates.

Carlton has had Lappin and Houlihan doing that for years.
Caracella won a flag at 2 different clubs doing that.
Josh Mahoney won a flag for Port.
Brett Allison is a dual premiership player as a receiving forward.
Bewick was more than adequate at the Dons in that role for more than a decade. Could kick 8 goals in a match and then 8 goals in his next 8 -10 games.
They're everywhere these receiving type forwards they are just more transparent in crap sides who will kick 100 points or more no more than 5 times in a season.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »
Agree with all the sentiments people have been posting.
Yes he backs out of contests and does not do the hard things.
Yes he has only kicked 6 goals since round 2.
Yes he butchers the ball or takes a mark and holds it up allowing defenders to stream back.
Yes he is a receiver. All clubs have receivers and they all go through their slumps. Even if Brown Riewoldt etc come back you'll find Petts retain his place in the side.
As for the poster claiming Meyer was his logical repalcement. I do not think so.
Just to give an example Dale Thomas is a receiver also. I remember the first half against us in rd 3 he was lost yet once the Pies got on a roll after half time he was very flashy running on the outside of packs to receive a handball and then to take his trademark bounce and have a long kick and do the easy things that many call brilliant. Medhurst another one with four second half goals. When the rub of the green is going your way yo find that these players are everywhere and doing everything. If Pies go on to win 3 games in their next 12 I wonder how Thomas will go? Last year during our mid season revival Petts was an integral part of kicking two to three goals per week. The form of these type of players depends on the overall form of the team. Furthermore the movement into our forward line is very very stagnant so Petts possessions are also well up the ground and hence have less of an overall impact. Look a run in Coburg will give him the kick up the bum he deserves but he should not be alone in going down to Coburg. Terry if he had the balls should send down a few of his missing in action mates.

Carlton has had Lappin and Houlihan doing that for years.
Caracella won a flag at 2 different clubs doing that.
Josh Mahoney won a flag for Port.
Brett Allison is a dual premiership player as a receiving forward.
Bewick was more than adequate at the Dons in that role for more than a decade. Could kick 8 goals in a match and then 8 goals in his next 8 -10 games.
They're everywhere these receiving type forwards they are just more transparent in crap sides who will kick 100 points or more no more than 5 times in a season.

Great post. You almost had me convinced but...

Petts is crap, time to go...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
Petts needs some time in Coburg.  But I don't think Meyer is necessarily the answer.

Based on his game today at Coburg - Danny I don't think Danny deserves a call up.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »

Based on his game today at Coburg - Danny I don't think Danny deserves a call up.

Browwnnnieeee!!!

:cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 10:14:25 PM »
Browwnnnieeee!!!

:cheers
Would think with the long flight to Perth it would not be worth it at this stage - too risky.

Would think he will play in the Coburg seniors next Monday at Coburg.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
Petts must have seen this thread and Brownie's comeback game last week lol. I thought today was by far his best for the year. More like the improved hard-working Kayne we saw last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »
10.3 since the Freo game for Petts. No doubt Browny's return has been a major factor in Petts goalkicking resurgence. Petts "only" has to deal with the opposition's 3rd best defender and can rely on Browny's class footskills to spot him up inside 50.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »
10.3 since the Freo game for Petts. No doubt Browny's return has been a major factor in Petts goalkicking resurgence. Petts "only" has to deal with the opposition's 3rd best defender and can rely on Browny's class footskills to spot him up inside 50.

definite correlation between his good form and Browny's presence. Needs to learn how to play well without Browny cos he ain't going to be around forever

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"I’m sick of losing – it’s killing me" - Petts
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »
Kayne Pettifer: no honour in defeat
2:43 PM Mon 9 July, 2007
By Luke Holmesby
for richmondfc.com.au

RICHMOND is looking to break even in the second half of the year after going without a win in the first 12 rounds, according to forward Kayne Pettifer.

“We had a lot of meetings over the mid-season break,” Pettifer said. “We play a few games in Melbourne and a few interstate ones, so we’re looking at winning as many of them as possible.”

Pettifer, clearly disappointed with the team’s 25-point loss to the Kangaroos, said the club could not afford to be content with honourable losses.

“I’m sick of getting close every week. We’re putting in okay performances but it is time to make a stand now,” he said.

“There’s too big a gap between our good and our bad. I’m sick of losing – it’s killing me.”

Pettifer found it difficult to stand watching at the other end of the ground as the Kangaroos piled on five quick goals in the third term to set up the win.
“They’re very good at the stoppages and took a few out of the centre,” he said.

“It is frustrating to see the ball go straight down to the other end, but that’s footy and you can’t do much about it.”

The Tiger forward, who booted three goals in the loss, said he is making an effort to stand up and be counted as the side works to get off the bottom of the ladder.

“This is my seventh year now and I’ve played nearly 100 games,” he said.

“I think there are 21 guys under the age of 22, at the club and I’m trying to help out the guys who play similar roles to me.

“I do see myself as a leader now. I’ve played every game for the past three years and I’ve got to take another step in my leadership.”

Pettifer believes the side is a real chance to get over the line against Hawthorn this week.

“We played Hawthorn twice last year and had two good wins,” he said. “We’ve got to come out and play our best footy and hopefully have a win.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=46902

Ox

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
Pettifer is allright. :thumbsup

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
Pettifer is allright. :thumbsup

Since Browny came back.  :whistle
EAT EM ALIVE!

Ox

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
i meant for coming out and saying that its kiliing him.

Shows passion.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »

A great photo (p3 of today's Age sport section)

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-season-gets-worse/2007/07/08/1183833344631.html

Kane J in the midst of traffic with the ball.

Lids and Newmo out front waiting to help.

Simmo arms outstretched holding back at least 5 North players.

and where is good old Petts.

Ah yes there he is; sneaking off the back of the pack hoping to get the easy handball.

So is the glass half empty of half full?

???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: "I’m sick of losing – it’s killing me" - Petts
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
Petts has been good the past month. An accurate 13.3 from the past 4 games. If he averages 2 goals a game from here on he'll end up with a respectable 40 goal season.

“We played Hawthorn twice last year and had two good wins,” he said.
That was 2005 Petts  :wallywink.

We got thumped down in Tassie last year after Cogs did his knee in the first 5 minutes.