Author Topic: Midfield rebirth key to Caddy Tiger move ..... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3286 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Midfield rebirth key to Caddy Tiger move ..... (Herald-Sun)
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »
Midfield rebirth key to Caddy Tiger move

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
February 1, 2017

RICHMOND recruit Josh Caddy says the Tigers can form one of the AFL’s most formidable midfield combinations next season as they aggressively push for a return to finals.

Entering his third club in his seventh season, Caddy said he was initially reluctant to leave the Cats, but made the shock switch in part to reclaim a permanent midfield berth, alongside childhood friend and former Gold Coast teammate Dion Prestia.

And the clearance-winner has already made a strong connection with coach Damien Hardwick, saying: “He is very personal and close with the players, probably more so than other coaches than I’ve had”.

Caddy, 24, said he was not satisfied playing forward 50 per cent of his game time last year at Geelong and was looking forward to a more permanent onball role.

“You deal with it, get over it and just play, and that’s what I did in the second half of the season,” Caddy said.

“But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit frustrated at times with playing a lot of time forward last year.

“I missed a couple of weeks with injury and Sam Menegola came into the side and was playing really well and had to stay there, which was fair enough.

“And Scotty Selwood started playing a tagging role, which probably wasn’t me either, but I did get frustrated, no doubt.

“I think playing in the midfield allows me to play my best footy and I believe I can give a team value in the midfield.”

About changing colours again, the No. 7 draft pick said: “It’s not ideal moving clubs regularly”.

“I’m at my third club and I’m only 24, but I just had a good think about it and I thought it made a lot of sense.”

The Tigers will wear a new PUMA playing jumper in 2017, featuring a more vibrant yellow stripe.
Josh Caddy shrugs a tackle during Richmond training. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

The tough-nut said Richmond had the talent and the drive to win finals in 2017 after tumbling down the ladder and turning to youth in the second half of last year.

While Prestia has been on a modified program as he recovers from knee surgery mid-last year, Caddy said the early signs in match simulation training were encouraging.

“I believe we have got a really good group of midfielders and with a bit of luck with injury we can be one of the better midfields in the comp,” he said.

“Everyone was disappointed with last year, but they (Tigers) played finals the three seasons before that.

“Now we just want to play finals and turn things around from last year for our supporters who haven’t had much success for a long time.”

Thriving in his new environment, Caddy said he had not missed a single training session over summer and praised the style of new coach Hardwick, who survived a searching review of the football department late last season.

“He’s really approachable and he’s got good relationship with players,” he said.

“You feel really comfortable talking to him and respect very word he says too, because he has got that respect for you.

“He’s been really good for me and already I can’t wait to play for him.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/former-cat-josh-caddy-lured-to-richmond-by-promise-of-more-midfield-time/news-story/a18dd0a4cc6fea4419c80b3a003b02c4   

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Midfield rebirth key to Caddy Tiger move ..... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
Dusty, Caddy, Prestia and Cotchin the only legit midfielders.
Then there's Edwards, b Ellis, c ellis, Rioli occasionally, mcintosh, perhaps markov on a wing, conca.
Really need the 2nd tier guys to step up. Been a problem for a while. C Ellis needs to start showing something.

Don't even bother talking about grigg, Townsend ect.

Forgot about vlastuin. Couple big bodies in vlastuin caddy and dusty

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
Miles too.

If Vlas plays midfield and goes OK, i think it will be a decent engine room.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Clearly going through a semi-rebuild, as we didn't bother to address KPP's.

Makes you wonder if we'd be better off trading all the guns.

You could get 2x first rounders for both of Rance and Martin, one for each of 2017 and 2018.
And probably 1x first and 1x second for Riewoldt and Cotchin, maybe both a first and second rounder for each of 2017 and 2018.

Then go into the next two drafts with 4x first round picks (our's, Rance, Martin, Jack in 2017 and our's, Rance, Martin Cotchin in 2018) and 2x second round picks (our's and Jack 2017, our's and Cotchin 2018).

Draft 12 players, 8 top 18 picks and 4 19-36 picks.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
Any chance of seeing improvement gmdrom Grigg and friends?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
My take on this article is that he was probably not good enough atGeelong to get more time in the midfield and so he ends up at Tigerland.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:59:19 PM »
Well, my Geelong mates are sad to see him go.

A big body in the midfield will be handy I reckon.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
My take on this article is that he was probably not good enough atGeelong to get more time in the midfield and so he ends up at Tigerland.
I did PM certain posters telling them Caddy was coming to us. I have a distant connection to an extremely close family member. He did not have a good relationship with Chris Scott. He also was annoyed that Joel Selwood pushed for his brother to also come into the midfield relegating Josh to a more permanent forward position. He sees himself as an inside mid and felt he was never really given a good run in the guts at Cat land. When the opportunity came up, Richmond stressed they wanted an inside mid and the fact his mate Prestia had come to us, persuaded him to ask for a trade. The cats also needed cap relief after Motlop was not snapped up by any team. The rest is history.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I did PM certain posters telling them Caddy was coming to us. I have a distant connection to an extremely close family member. He did not have a good relationship with Chris Scott. He also was annoyed that Joel Selwood pushed for his brother to also come into the midfield relegating Josh to a more permanent forward position. He sees himself as an inside mid and felt he was never really given a good run in the guts at Cat land. When the opportunity came up, Richmond stressed they wanted an inside mid and the fact his mate Prestia had come to us, persuaded him to ask for a trade. The cats also needed cap relief after Motlop was not snapped up by any team. The rest is history.

True, thanks again YABB

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
"Friends" being Batchelor!!! Agree.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »

Makes sense

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »

True, thanks again YABB

Spot on excellent summation  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:39:17 PM »
Have said it before only gripe is he looks like tarzan and too often played like jane.
He has played some good footy real good at times but then you get the drop offs and really weak physical efforts.
The major concern is he is 24 and there is an awful lot of pretty ordinary footy still being played. I mean to say A lot of talls may not have matured by 24 but ffs  mids?????.Concern is what we see now is what we will get.
Hoping like hell this bloke can step it up.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Cheers, hope it works out for us and the lad.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 07:26:29 AM »
Have said it before only gripe is he looks like tarzan and too often played like jane.
He has played some good footy real good at times but then you get the drop offs and really weak physical efforts.
The major concern is he is 24 and there is an awful lot of pretty ordinary footy still being played. I mean to say A lot of talls may not have matured by 24 but ffs  mids?????.Concern is what we see now is what we will get.
Hoping like hell this bloke can step it up.

Welcome back claw I hope you had a good Xmas

Just on your above comment how many GC and Geelong games with Caddy playing have you watched and do you have any basis for your comments.

You have commented on RFC games before you haven't watched and I am wondering if you are doing the same here.