Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 244729 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: A-League thread
« Reply #450 on: December 05, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
Gold Coast vs Hearts today playing infront of 74,000 people lol ... Congratulations its all going beautifully HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... theres about 200 people at the game lol.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #451 on: December 05, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
two things 10flags:

1.  i agree about the waste of money in the WC bid.  It's a disgrace and would have been far better spent on the local game.  I really dont care about the WC at all.

2.  The bitterness of the old NSL people towards the A-League is amazing.  The NSL was a joke, the A-League product is way superior and one of the reasons people dont go is the old ethnic NSL bloc still holds sway.   

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #452 on: December 05, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
The quality of this league is getting better. I've been watching NSL/A-League since the mid-90s and the current Brisbane side are the best team I have seen in that time. Unfortunately, it is an expensive business and there is still a massive question mark over the long term financial viability of the league.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #453 on: December 06, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »
I agree with Jake that the quality is the best its been when you look at sides like Brisbane this year. Jake is there another stadium the Roar can play at in Brisbane that isn't as massive as Suncorp? Most A-league clubs should be aiming to play in more intimate stadia with capacites around 20-25k as happens in the MLS in the States. That would keep costs down as well.

As for improving the league structure as a whole - It's well known Palmer's plaything on the Gold Coast is a joke and should be tossed out of the A-league. He locked the locals out so they've told him to shove it. He doesn't care though as he is propping it up and only wants the franchise so it can qualify for the ACL and then he can wine and dine Chinese corporates at games overseas. North Queensland will probably be cut too. The club does it best but Townsville (170k) is too small to sustain a A-league side. Remove both those expansion sides and the crowd average would rise by a thousand or two automatically without any effort. Heart can go as well  ;D. Removing morons like Craig Foster who have a massive chip on the shoulder would also do the sport in Australia an immense favour.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #454 on: December 06, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
No South No A League ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
No South No A League ;D
No South No VPL finals  ;D

10 FLAGS

« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
No South No A League ;D
No South No VPL finals  ;D

I'll pay that, thats not bad from you MT. Doesnt change the fact that A League is stuffed  ;D

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
I agree with Jake that the quality is the best its been when you look at sides like Brisbane this year. Jake is there another stadium the Roar can play at in Brisbane that isn't as massive as Suncorp? Most A-league clubs should be aiming to play in more intimate stadia with capacites around 20-25k as happens in the MLS in the States. That would keep costs down as well.

Not really, unfortunately (I agree with all you say about the issue).

Perry park (traditional home of football) would need a multimillion dollar facelift and given its situation hemmed in by the railway yards, the river and busy roads I think would be difficult to develop.

Ballymore is perfect size, but rugby union heartland and much harder to get to than Suncorp.

QEII (the old ANZ stadium) is too far out and has a running track making it hard to see.

I went to see an ABL game at the exhibition grounds recently and it would have been a good size for A-league if they erected temporary stands along one side, but it is pretty run down.

I don't really know what they can do. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #458 on: December 06, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »

Not really, unfortunately (I agree with all you say about the issue).

Perry park (traditional home of football) would need a multimillion dollar facelift and given its situation hemmed in by the railway yards, the river and busy roads I think would be difficult to develop.

Ballymore is perfect size, but rugby union heartland and much harder to get to than Suncorp.

QEII (the old ANZ stadium) is too far out and has a running track making it hard to see.

I went to see an ABL game at the exhibition grounds recently and it would have been a good size for A-league if they erected temporary stands along one side, but it is pretty run down.

I don't really know what they can do. 

Cheers Jake. Last year there was talk of the Roar moving to Ballymore but it was rejected as you say because it's hard for fans to get to. A bit surprised there's no direct walkbridge across the creek so people could easily get to and from the stadium to Wilston station. Sydney FC is another one that needs a smaller stadium to play in. Surely one of the inner city NRL club grounds would do.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
Hopefully all the A League clubs stay where they are at the moment, that way, the end will come quicker and we can finally get around to having a proper national competition and not this rabble which we have currently got  ;D

10 FLAGS

« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
Another huge crowd for the hearts tonight I see on the news. Its all going beautifully  ;D

10 FLAGS

« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »
Whilst the A League dont produce anything, the greatest club in Australian soccer continues to produce outstanding talent. Another South prodigy goes overseas and its to the serie A in Italy

http://www.smfc.com.au/news/816/francesco-stella-moves-to-the-serie-a/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #462 on: December 11, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Siena is in Serie B :putz. Not quite Tommy Oar playing in first division Holland with Utrecht and playing in the Europa Cup.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #463 on: December 11, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
So who are the sooks playing this week, 10 Flags, green freakin gully or burwood or pt cook or whatever?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #464 on: December 11, 2010, 09:28:37 PM »
23,000 at the derby tonight at AAMI Park.

Heart     1 ......... Sibon 18'
Victory   3 ......... Kruse 12' & 29', W. Srhoj (og) 55'