Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 81557 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2023, 12:04:34 AM »
Happy to cop any criticism that comes but i see things differently to most.

Yes tough as nails a bit of a terrier and always has a dip. Of course tiger people love him. Sheesh i love the way he goes about it.
 But the truth is he does not have one outstanding attribute. Sort of okay at most things master of none.

Not super quick, small, decent disposal gets a bit of ball and on it goes but nothing top notch People won't admit it but his size has been an issue. For me as a small he lacks a bit of polish as well. Despite that i have him best 22 or 23. A good solid citizen who provides a bit of versatility who does most things well.. Reckon we all admire the guts and determination he brings.
Has he been a good player for us?  of course. Not saying he cannot play  the opposite in fact but he is not the  elite player that people make him out to be.
Personally i firmly believe midfield is the go with him but i dont see him playing in front of others either as a defender or Forward.

Actually I think his clear strengths are his overhead marking (for his size), attack on the football and toughness.

See what you're saying though.  He's a good player to have starting on your bench and fixing a problem somewhere.

Agree with that and also think he’s one of our better kicks especially going inside 50 and quite reliable set shot.

I’ll also continue to say that we’ve got his and shorts roles mixed up. Short is better off half back and baker is better in the middle and rotating forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #376 on: March 04, 2023, 09:25:49 PM »
Fair effort and numbers from Bakes today two weeks or so after having his appendix out.

36 disposals (18k, 18h, 10c, 25u, 86.1% eff.)
6 marks
2 tackles
1 centre clearance
4 inside 50s
660 metres gained
9 intercepts
2 frees for
1 free against
6 score involvements
1 goal
87% game time

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #377 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:53 PM »
Our best
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2023, 11:38:40 AM »
Richmond assistant coach Andrew McQualter was full of praise for Baker in his post-game press conference.

“He’s really tough, ‘Bakes’. Didn’t flinch at all today,” McQualter said.

“We really love him in our side. He provides a lot for us.”

Baker was typically straightforward in explaining his recovery from appendix surgery during a post-game interview with Richmond Media.

“I just had basic appendix removed . . . It only put me out of action for a week or so,” Baker said.

“Got back running, then trained during the week and thought I might be a chance. And turned out it felt a bit better than what I was expecting,

“So, I got up to play, which was good.

“I felt a little bit unfit out there, but that was the point of the hit-out . . . get me cherry ripe for Round 1.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1278955/brave-bold-baker-stands-tall-for-tigers

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2023, 12:20:03 PM »
Thoughts Claw?

I understand it might be hard to pinpoint what this guy's best strengths are sometimes but gee he has a dip and maybe that's what we need is some leadership.

Have said it before I actually think this guy would make a better captain than our current options.

Has a genuine barometer feel to him and I actually think people would (forgive the cliche) walk taller with him around because not only does he have a go but his heart is bigger than his stature would suggest and I personally would think gee if my little mate is having a crack then I bloody will too.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2023, 12:23:36 AM »
Thoughts Claw?

I understand it might be hard to pinpoint what this guy's best strengths are sometimes but gee he has a dip and maybe that's what we need is some leadership.

Have said it before I actually think this guy would make a better captain than our current options.

Has a genuine barometer feel to him and I actually think people would (forgive the cliche) walk taller with him around because not only does he have a go but his heart is bigger than his stature would suggest and I personally would think gee if my little mate is having a crack then I bloody will too.
Hey i agree with most of that and even though i dont like him down back he was probably our best player. BUT i keep saying it loose across hb players all look a million bucks.
One thing for certain  you will always get 110% from him.What will happen though a lot of times his endevour and intensity will not drop off but how to say it? lets say effectiveness will be somewhat underwhelming.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:28 PM »
Question from David King on Fox Footy's 'First Crack' show.

Q: With 17 seconds left on the clock, did you have a problem with Liam Baker leaving his direct opponent Acres by himself on Carlton's HF line and Bakes sprinting into the centre square to try and help win the game for the Tigers rather than staying with his man and protecting the draw?

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2023, 11:44:27 PM »
Amazing if we won it. Disaster if we lost it.  :lol

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2023, 05:18:05 PM »
Very average game first up imo. Was invisible for big chunks of the game.

I have him as sub this week and am hoping we bring in Cumberland, Sonsie, Clarke  Ryan and Tarrant if fit.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2023, 11:12:33 PM »
Huge numbers for Bakes.

32 disposals (17k, 15h, 13c, 17u, 78.1% eff.)
6 marks
4 tackles
1 clearance (centre)
3 inside 50s
449 metres gained
7 score involvements
12 intercepts
1 free for
2 frees against
89% time on ground

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2023, 11:14:33 PM »
This is why I think he should be captain.

You'll never see him chasing at 80% or shying away from the hard things.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2023, 11:15:11 PM »
Play him in the midfield and move short down back. It just seems like such an obvious miscast of roles btw those 2. I don’t get it.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2023, 11:17:20 PM »
Captain Baker. He reminds me of Joel Selwood minus the gutless high tackle rubbish.
Go Tigers!

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2023, 11:42:05 PM »
Play him in the midfield and move short down back. It just seems like such an obvious miscast of roles btw those 2. I don’t get it.

Lol Short he is ordinary but hey you hang your hat on the dud.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #389 on: March 31, 2023, 11:43:25 PM »
Oh yeah as one who is critical of the little man at times he had a very good game. Credit when it due.