Author Topic: Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]  (Read 45893 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: West Sydney launch and logo
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
The AFL don't seem to know what to do with GWS. Is it a West Sydney team or a NSW/ACT team? I thought the whole point to having at least two clubs in each state is so there's Aussie Rules footy played in every major mainland city every weekend. Playing 3-4 home games in Canberra in a ACT jumper is hardly going to make Western Sydneysiders think the club is their team  ???.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105020/default.aspx

It's called a "fall back position" or contingency plan when the GWS thing falls in a heep  :rollin
I agree WP that this all could fall over very quickly although for footy's long-term sake we should want GWS or whatever they are going to be called to find a niche and sustainable supporter base in Western Sydney in say 30 years time as the Swans have. I can see why the AFL are doing this in the short-term (GWS gain extra funding from the ACT government they wouldn't have had if they stayed purely a West Sydney club while the AFL gets to have games played in Canberra), but selling the new club as their local club to the infidel ferals in West Sydney lol will come across hollow words with GWS playing home games in Canberra 3 hours away. Anyway we'll find this week what sort of club GWS is going to be. At least as Tiger supporters we know from Sheeds that GWS' colours won't clash with Richmond. There's no yellow or black.

Hey MT I'm one of those Western Sydney infidel ferals!!  ;D But for me its Tigers all the way!! However I will go to some GWS games to get a dose of live footy. I would barrack for them over any other current AFL club except for my beloved Tigers. There's a strong chance that a lot of Western Sydney Swans supporters will jump ship (and there are a lot of them) as most are not former South Melbourne Supporters. Any of your dyed in the wool Melbourne based team supporters will probably be like me and stick fat with their clubs they have supported since they were rug rats. I'm sure they will also beat up the local derby GWS v Swans matches as the Battlers V's the Silvertails like they used to do in the Rugby League matches between Western Suburbs Magpies and the Manly Sea Eagles.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Hey MT I'm one of those Western Sydney infidel ferals!!  ;D
:lol

Oops I meant those up there who are non-believers and don't follow footy  ;). You are one of us tiga  :thumbsup

Sports Tonight is saying the name to be announced at tomorrow night's gala will be the West(ern) Sydney Giants  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
West Sydney Giants

:)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
West Sydney Giants' jumper (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »
Here's their jumper according to the Herald-Sun....

THE AFL's 18th team will be unveiled as the Greater Western Sydney Giants tonight.

The club's new colours are set to be white, gold and black.

The AFL has filed two new trade mark applications with IP Australia overnight for the names “Greater Western Sydney Giants” and “GWS Giants”.

In addition, the league applied to expand its trademark of the name “Giants” to include additional classes of goods and services that will bring it in to line with all other team name trademarks.

What do you think of the GWS name and jumper? Leave a comment below

The club filed another three image trademark applications - one is a stylised "G" believed to be the new club's logo.

The other two are jumper designs featuring the "G" insignia on what appears to be a gold and black background.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-unveil-gws-giants/story-e6frf9jf-1225954361689

Ramps

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
They shouldnt be allowed to use gold and black or yellow and black.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
They shouldnt be allowed to use gold and black or yellow and black.
Spot on Ramps. We should protest to the AFL. Whatever happened to Sheeds saying it wouldn't be anything like Richmond colours  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: West Sydney Giants' jumper (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

Ramps

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »
i think its disgraceful and our club should lodge an official complaint.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
They chose Giants as their moniker yet chose the colours of Wolves - having a bit each way  ???. The all orange jumper is just horrible. To connect with Sydney/NSW why wouldn't you keep it simple and go with Sky Blue like Sturt's guernsey. The "G" looks a bit like NSW or Western Sydney with Parramatta river in the middle but the jumper as a whole reminds you of the Bears original guernsey  :help. They should have got that 6 year old girl who did Port's new jumper to do it than some marketing "guru". It wouldn't been no worse and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
They chose Giants as their moniker yet chose the colours of Wolves - having a bit each way  ???. The all orange jumper is just horrible. To connect with Sydney/NSW why wouldn't you keep it simple and go with Sky Blue like Sturt's guernsey. The "G" looks a bit like NSW or Western Sydney with Parramatta river in the middle but the jumper as a whole reminds you of the Bears original guernsey  :help. They should have got that 6 year old girl who did Port's new jumper to do it than some marketing "guru". It wouldn't been no worse and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Agree entirely.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 06:25:39 PM »
MOre orange than gold IMHO

Ugly - they deserve it  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
MOre orange than gold IMHO

Ugly - they deserve it  ;D

I look at it as tangerine.

Not a pretty sight. Reminds of the Brisbane Bears monstrosity from 1987 to about 1992. Hopefully they play just as poo as the Bears did in that guernsey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Well it's official.....

Welcome GWS Giants
By Michael Rogers
9:00 PM Tue 16 Nov, 2010

FAREWELL Team GWS and hello the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Coach Kevin Sheedy and marquee signing Israel Folau joined more than 900 guests as they revealed the identity of the AFL's 18th club at the Sydney Showgrounds on Tuesday night.

The club will also ditch the red, white and blue jumper it wore in the TAC Cup in 2010 in favour of an orange, charcoal and white design with a large capital 'G' logo on the front.

The traditional sky blue of NSW sporting teams will feature on the Giants' away jumper.

Twenty-two of the club's players took the stage on Tuesday night to model two new jumper designs, giving supporters and sponsors a glimpse of the future.

Giants CEO Dale Holmes said the new club's determination to take risks and "think big" was the inspiration behind the choice of nickname and colours.

“Being a Giant is about thinking big, living big and playing big," he said.

"It’s about having the courage, commitment and determination to follow your dreams - sharing a bold ambition and taking risks to become the best that we can be. That is the origins of this club and will be forever part of our culture.

"Over the last two years we have steadily built the foundations of a strong and vibrant club for the next 20 years. The Giants will be an exciting club to follow, creating opportunities and promoting optimism for kids in the region.”

The name and jumper design were the product of an extensive six-month campaign that canvassed more than 27,000 suggestions.

And the consultation will continue with the club set to conduct an online poll to determine which of its two jumper designs will be worn throughout the club's 2011 season in the new NEAFL competition.

The Giants also revealed their first co-major sponsor with automotive company Skoda Australia signing a three-year deal.

Skoda will also be the naming rights sponsor for the Giants' home games at the soon-to-be redeveloped Sydney Showground arena from 2012.

The Giants will hold their first open training session from 4pm on Thursday, November 18 at Blacktown Olympic Park.

And the club's list will receive a further major boost at the 2011 NAB AFL Rookie Draft in December, in which it boasts the first eight selections.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105264/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
Here's their intro video:

http://vimeo.com/16878812

And website apparently [I can't get it to work  ??? ]:

http://gwsgiants.com.au/

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
Well it's official.....

Welcome GWS Giants
By Michael Rogers
9:00 PM Tue 16 Nov, 2010

FAREWELL Team GWS and hello the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Coach Kevin Sheedy and marquee signing Israel Folau joined more than 900 guests as they revealed the identity of the AFL's 18th club at the Sydney Showgrounds on Tuesday night.

The club will also ditch the red, white and blue jumper it wore in the TAC Cup in 2010 in favour of an orange, charcoal and white design with a large capital 'G' logo on the front.

The traditional sky blue of NSW sporting teams will feature on the Giants' away jumper.

Twenty-two of the club's players took the stage on Tuesday night to model two new jumper designs, giving supporters and sponsors a glimpse of the future.

Giants CEO Dale Holmes said the new club's determination to take risks and "think big" was the inspiration behind the choice of nickname and colours.

“Being a Giant is about thinking big, living big and playing big," he said.

"It’s about having the courage, commitment and determination to follow your dreams - sharing a bold ambition and taking risks to become the best that we can be. That is the origins of this club and will be forever part of our culture.

"Over the last two years we have steadily built the foundations of a strong and vibrant club for the next 20 years. The Giants will be an exciting club to follow, creating opportunities and promoting optimism for kids in the region.”

The name and jumper design were the product of an extensive six-month campaign that canvassed more than 27,000 suggestions.

And the consultation will continue with the club set to conduct an online poll to determine which of its two jumper designs will be worn throughout the club's 2011 season in the new NEAFL competition.

The Giants also revealed their first co-major sponsor with automotive company Skoda Australia signing a three-year deal.

Skoda will also be the naming rights sponsor for the Giants' home games at the soon-to-be redeveloped Sydney Showground arena from 2012.

The Giants will hold their first open training session from 4pm on Thursday, November 18 at Blacktown Olympic Park.

And the club's list will receive a further major boost at the 2011 NAB AFL Rookie Draft in December, in which it boasts the first eight selections.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105264/default.aspx
OMG first second i saw those colours was Jet star colours :P
Green and would have been better contrast better with Sydney's red