Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165244 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
He needs to adopt a pat answer to these questions a bit like that bloke in the States, "Beast Mode"

A possible response could be "at this stage, I have no answer to that question" and just keep repeating this line for every question asked on the subject. If nothing else could be entertaining.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin bounces out of press conference after contract questions

Andrew Tate
The Age
8 March 2017

Dustin Martin joined his former coach Mark Williams at the MCG on Wednesday to launch a new football that doesn't have a pointy end - which is pretty much how the pair left questions regarding the Tigers' ongoing contract discussions.

Williams' is promoting his new "precision" Sherrin and has enlisted Martin to demonstrate the new rounded-end ball, but bounced any questions that related to whether he'd be kicking on at Richmond beyond 2017.

"We used it [the ball] last year and the year before at the footy club and you know even the experienced players it helped them out and it's going to be really good for all age groups I think," Martin said at Wednesday's launch, offering the time-honoured response to questions about the thrilling season to come. "Yeah, I can't wait, obviously we have one more game to go, but yeah looking for the real stuff to start."

Rounded ball in hand, the media then got to the point - would he be re-signing at Richmond?

"Well that's just between [my manager] Ralph [Carr] and the club to sort out, but I'm here to talk about the Sherrin today," said Martin as the experienced Williams offered the coaching equivalent of "look, over there".

"The fact is he's playing really well ... Dustin for the four years that I worked with him continually wanted to lift the bar. He's come seventh and he's third [in the Brownlow], welI I'm not sure, mathematics would say something good so get on him."

So what are Martin's goals in 2017?

"Just to play consistent good footy and improve, like every year trying to improve."

And can he concentrate with contract talk hanging over his future at Punt Road.

"He's not talking about contracts," said Williams with more urgency, as a media minder offered an out for Martin and he duly took it.

"Thanks guys," Martin kindly offered, and exited stage left.

The last word, as always, went to Williams, who would know better than most that the Tigers are relying on Martin to shore up a club that has not won a premiership since 1980.

"I'm sure Dustin will make the right decision and he's very much a loyal man," Williams said. "So he loves Richmond, he loves the players there and in time he will make the right decision."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/dustin-martin-bounces-out-of-press-conference-after-contract-questions-20170307-gut4a6.html

Dougeytherichmondfan

Good on Choco for the chop-out.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
It's hard getting paid to be there and cop questions you'd expect to get...

Dougeytherichmondfan

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Contract circus not in Dusty’s interests: Robbo (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:41 AM »
Contract circus not in Dusty’s interests

MARK ROBINSON,
Herald Sun
March 9, 2017

DUSTIN Martin attended his first media gig in 12 months on Wednesday.

It was to be a Sherrin promotion at the MCG, but it largely became another Dusty Martin episode.

He walked away from the cameras and microphones after questions were asked about his contract.

It wasn’t Martin’s fault he walked off because that was how he reacted in an uncomfortable situation.

The issue is he shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

Martin doesn’t like being the centre of attention. And, truth be known, he’s not confident putting himself out there so he can be judged on how he speaks and what he says.

Martin is an amazing contradiction.

He knows his way around a footy ground like Usain Bolt knows his way around the 200m. Instinct and talent kicks in and, in those 120 minutes, he’s explosive and supremely confident, if not arrogant.

But off the field, and in front of cameras or in front of those he doesn’t know, he’s a little boy lost.
Dustin Martin refused to answer questions about his contract. Picture: Michael Klein

Certainly, his manager Ralph Carr shouldn’t have allowed Martin to be at the Sherrin promotion while contract talks are continuing and, it has to be noted, this was not a Richmond promotion.

There were concerns.

What started as a favour by Martin to Mark Williams, his long-time mentor, became an event.

Carr and a media representative from Richmond attended and having Williams front and square ensured Martin would feel comfortable.

In fact, when the questioning became a touch repetitious, it was Williams who hijacked the microphone and you could be excused for thinking, at that time, Martin was a 12-year-old and not a 25-year-old adult.

Then Martin walked off.

One of the jobs for player managers, surely, is to act in the best interests of their client.

This wasn’t one of those cases.

The last time Martin was coming out of contract, Carr took Martin to Greater Western Sydney to meet the coaches and put on a hard hat.

Five minutes after he arrived, the Giants knew Martin wasn’t going to GWS and that his heart was at Richmond.

It was embarrassing for Martin and Carr and a touch so for GWS who took him on a tour of unfinished grandstands.

A week later, Martin re-signed with the Tigers.

Carr has a curious way of handling contract negotiations.

In September last year it was reported Adelaide, St Kilda and Essendon were into Martin for a million large per year.

Carr didn’t dispel the story.

That same night the Saints contacted the Herald Sun and denied any interest in Martin and the Crows were even more emphatic.

“He is not part of our recruiting and list management discussions,” list management Justin Reid said.

“To suggest otherwise is incorrect.”

Story dead.

Fast forward and Martin’s management, presumably Carr, has said all contract talks with the Tigers are off until the end of the year.

That’s OK if you’re Nathan Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield who are media savvy and slick on their feet when asked about their futures.

When Martin was asked — for the first time — he said it’s between Carr and the club and, moments later, he departed.

Martin is a buck five to re-sign with the Tigers.

In many ways, this football club has been his security blanket since he was drafted as an unworldly 17-year-old.

The Tigers have moulded, supported, guided and even laid down the law over various personal stuff throughout his career and just recently offered him $800,000 a year for what could be for five years.

It would be astounding if Martin departed because another club offered $900,000 per year.

That he would uproot himself and his precious comfortableness for an entirely new environment and an extra 50K after tax.

The question needs to be asked: Is this circus really in the best interests of Dusty?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/contract-circus-is-not-in-dustin-martins-best-interests-write-mark-robinson/news-story/54ed71b1d68a02d0862f1390ee38ca79

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Dusty tweeted this tonight:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6ZGgm-U8AECafA.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/dustinmartin4?lang=en

Call me cynical, but I don't think Dusty "tweeted" (read wrote) that. Dusty hasn't been on Tweeter for months

Looks like another example of good ole' Ralph. Why? because it brings Ralph into the conversation, Ralph shouldn't be mentioned, it's not about him.   >:(

Yep I am cynical and didn't trust Carr at all
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Sick of it already - Lets face it nothing is gunna happen until the season is over so may as well move on.....Wont happen

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Fat Robbo.

What a poofta. :snidegrin

He gets paid for this ? ^^
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:34:48 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘It’s definitely a form of bullying’

Herald Sun
9 March 2017

DUSTIN Martin’s mentor Mark Williams has jumped to the Tiger’s defence.

Williams, a former Port Adelaide premiership coach and Richmond development coach, said the media’s treatment of Martin was “definitely a form of bullying”.

“He can speak as well as anyone, he just doesn’t dance to the beat of the mainstream media. If you ask things he’s not interested he’s just not going to comply, that’s just the way he is,” Williams said on SEN.

Martin made a rare media appearance yesterday to promote a new Sherrin footy but left early when reporters asked the free agent about his contract talks.

“When they asked him what his future was he politely said, ‘I’m not going to talk about that, I’m going to talk about the ball’. They persisted again and persisted again and politely he walked off.

“It’s easy to say Ralph (Carr, Martin’s manager) or I have stitched him up, but that really underestimates Dustin.

“It’s an insult to suggest he can’t take questions — he can do it as well as anyone else — but just because he doesn’t dance to their tune they (the media) ostracise him. It’s definitely a form of bullying, no doubt.”

Asked his own thoughts about whether Martin would re-sign with the Tigers, Williams said he trusted the star midfielder to make the best decision.

“His thoughts are he’s really happy to be able to say I’m just letting it go until the end of the year. If he says that, you just let it go.

“To question him every week, ‘What’s happening with your contract?’, it’s just a joke.

“If you look at his form over the past two years, he’s (finished) third in the Brownlow, he’s All-Australian and won the best-and-fairest ... because Dustin is what he is and he is his own man people treat him differently to the other stars of the game.

“He’s a very shy sort of person and he gets to a point where he’s just ‘leave me alone’.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/mark-williams-says-media-treatment-of-dustin-martin-is-unfair/news-story/42465e1da908f95f6752259799869ad5

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Definitely bullying those white rag people need to get onto this

They owe Dusty one anyway

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balme: News surrounding Dusty’s presser all noise

By Justin Talent
SEN
9 March 2017

Richmond General Manager of Football Neil Balme has quashed speculation surrounding Dustin Martin following the star’s press conference meeting a sudden end on Wednesday after refusing to answer questions about his future.

The 2016 Tigers best and fairest winner was a guest at a media conference yesterday to launch Sherrin’s new football design, but refused to talk about his current contract negotiations with Richmond despite multiple questions being fielded to him on the topic.

Martin is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, and has reportedly put talks with the club on hold until the end of the season despite the Tigers already offering the 25-year-old a lucrative four-year contract to stay at Punt Road.

This latest reluctance to speak about his future has fuelled intense speculation about his future, all of which Balme says is overblown.

“We talked to him and said that they’re going to ask you about your contract but you don’t have to discuss it if you don’t want to,” he said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“He said ‘Well I’ll just tell them that my agent and the club are looking after it,’ which is exactly what he did, but then all the noise out of it is that he storms off, he won’t answer the questions or didn’t handle the questions. He did (handle them) quite easily.

“He was asked three times (about his contract) and at that stage the Sherrin girl gave him the nod to come off.

“He hung around for about 20 minutes (afterwards) and signed autographs and all the things he should have done, but it looks like he’s been canned for not being able to answer the question and went off in a huff, which is simply not so.”

The Tigers footy manager says that the club are in no rush to finalise terms with the midfielder after confirming they had submitted a contract offer to him, stating that they are comfortable with Martin pushing talks until the end of the season should he want that.

“We’ve made him a terrific offer and he can take as long as he likes to consider it as far as we’re concerned, as long as he plays good footy in 2017,” Balme said.

“We’ve got confidence that he’ll be a Tiger long-term and I’m pretty sure he thinks the same way.

“He’s an exceptional player with us and we want to do the long-term deal with him… (Martin and manager Ralph Carr) have got every right to take as much time as they like to consider it.

“We’re not that concerned about it but unfortunately there’s so much noise about it because it is a big story.”

Balme also says that the club’s relationship with Carr has never been better.

“There has been nothing but professional and constructive conversations between us and Ralph Carr as to what is going on,” he said.

“(The relationship is) very strong. It’s been fine.

“We know where (Martin) fits in the market, we’re pretty confident that he genuinely wants to be a Tiger and he loves the place. We don’t have any problems.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/09/balme-news-surrounding-dusty-s-presser-all-noise/

Dougeytherichmondfan

Dusty tweeted this tonight:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6ZGgm-U8AECafA.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/dustinmartin4?lang=en

Call me cynical, but I don't think Dusty "tweeted" (read wrote) that. Dusty hasn't been on Tweeter for months

Looks like another example of good ole' Ralph. Why? because it brings Ralph into the conversation, Ralph shouldn't be mentioned, it's not about him.   >:(

Yep I am cynical and didn't trust Carr at all
100% agree. Dusty didn't actually pen that. Hardly cynical, blind freddy can see that wasn't him  ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin walks out on press conference, Richmond, contract talks, AFL, Julian De Stoop

March 10, 2017
Julian de Stoop
FOX SPORTS

COMMENT: OFF the top, to suggest the media ‘hijacked’ Dustin Martin’s appearance at the launch of a new Sherrin football is nonsense.

And before I explain what happened, let’s make one thing clear: Dustin Martin didn’t storm out of his media conference.

This is how it went down.

Sherrin, alongside former Port Adelaide coach and Richmond development coach Mark Williams, launched a new football aimed to help players at all levels at the MCG on Wednesday morning.

Before the media conference at 9am, there was a meet and greet from 7.30am where journalists spoke to Williams and representatives from Sherrin about the concept behind this new football. Martin, his manager Ralph Carr and Richmond media manager Jaimee Damon were also in attendance.

Williams and Martin had trialled the football last year.

After the meet and greet, Martin and Williams alongside Adam Cooney, Bombers No. 1 pick Andy McGrath and Carlton AFLW captain Lauren Arnell headed onto the hallowed turf to trial the new footy.

From there, the media spoke with Arnell about the footy and some questions about the Blues AFLW team.

Following Arnell, Williams and Martin fronted the media.

Clearly Martin’s future at Richmond was going to be addressed, but before then both he and Williams were asked several questions about the new football.

Then it was time to address the elephant in the room.

Martin, which is his right, rarely does media appearances. Therefore, journalists in attendance wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t ask the Richmond star about his future.

Martin is out of contract at season’s end and has indicated through his management that he is prepared to wait until then to discuss a new deal. Alongside Nat Fyfe and Gary Ablett, his future beyond 2017 will be one of the big talking points of the season.

Nat Edwards from AFL Media kicked things off by asking: “Dustin, there’s been plenty of speculation about your contract, are you able to give us a bit of an update?”

Martin replied: “That’s between my manager Ralph (Carr) and the footy club to sort out. I’m just here to talk about the Sherrin.”

Now as journalists, we would be derelict in our duty if we didn’t ask a follow-up question, which Kiara Parker from 3AW did.

“Do you think contract talks could prove to be a distraction?” Parker asked.

Martin, again, flat batted the question: “As I said, I’m not here to talk about contracts.”

That’s when Williams chimed in and, like he did when he was at Richmond, played the role of father figure.

From there, Williams was asked whether he believed Martin would re-sign.

Part-way through Williams’ answer, Martin was given the opportunity — via the Tigers’ media representative — to step away, which he duly took.

It wasn’t a storm-off. He simply walked away and spent more time mingling.

I believe all parties handled themselves respectfully. The journalists asked what needed to be asked, Martin answered them respectively and, as his right, Williams went into bat for someone he is very close too.

Yes there are some journalists that would have continued to push Martin, but knowing the ones that were there yesterday, they may have asked one more of Martin if he hadn’t have slid away.

On SEN Breakfast on Thursday morning, both Williams — in a follow-up interview — and host Hamish McLachlan claimed the media ‘hijacked’ the event.

As I stated at the top, that’s rubbish.

Media can’t be dictated to by the talent. We need to be able to ask the questions that are newsworthy and the talent can answer those questions however they want. In return, we need to respect the approach they take.

Williams is a shrewd operator. He would have known by having Martin there at the launch of the new Sherrin that there was a far bigger chance of getting more media to attend.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/why-media-didnt-hijack-dustin-martins-press-conference-writes-julian-de-stoop/news-story/0897882759b509a98151b827246c35d3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin is a genuine guy who’s just misunderstood, writes Mark Williams

MARK WILLIAMS,
Herald Sun
March 10, 2017

EVERY morning before a Richmond home game I meet Dustin Martin at the same Elwood cafe.

Each time, after breakfast, we end up on the street outside playing kick-to-kick with the footy-mad owner. It sounds crazy, but it’s true.

It also doesn’t sound like the sort of guy who would “storm off” or “run away” does it?

That’s because it isn’t and that’s because Dustin doesn’t.

What we’ve seen this week is symptomatic of Dustin’s career. It’s a sensationalist portrayal of what really happened and again he’s been put in a box and people judge him by that.

Dustin, on his day off, gave his time to do me a favour at the launch of my new Sherrin Precision football at the MCG.

He was anxious about the media asking him about his contract because he just doesn’t want to talk about it.

I know the media are trying to do their job, but I’m not sure what they’re trying to find because he’s not going to sign or make a decision in the next minute or the next month, so why bother?

I first met Dustin Martin five years ago. He was late and a little out of shape at Richmond’s first training session after the Christmas break.

Back then he was certainly at the crossroads. He could have gone off the tracks and this blossoming footy career we’re now witnessing would never have happened.

There were serious discussions as to whether this guy was going to make it. Was he the real thing or would he just be another young player to never reach his potential?

It’s hard to imagine how a 52-year-old bloke would be equipped to look after a young bloke who’s a bit of a tearaway, albeit with enormous talent, but that’s what Damien Hardwick and the club wanted.

Would we connect? Pretty quickly we knew it wasn’t simply a manufactured relationship, but one based on respect, communication and trust.

Like all good relationships, they come with time. It’s not a 9-5 job — it’s about showing you care and trying to understand the person.

I think the number one thing was to invite him into my home where I’ve got five kids and we all sit around the dinner table with my wife, Pauline, cooking meals.

The kids knew he was an important player, but because they’d grown up around football they just treated him like one of their brothers.

They would spend hours playing pool, table tennis, darts and even quoits because Dustin’s into everything.

He just loves being part of a group and not being by himself. I still think he needs to work on his pool game, but he’s got me at table tennis.

We’d go ten pin bowling. Imagine Dustin bowling with a group of people and all of them hanging it on each other over the score and my kids trying to put him off and him laughing.

You look at the tattoos and the hair and people judge by the cover, but you need to dig a bit deeper to find the real him.

My darling little daughter Isabelle adores him and is always hugging him. Dustin promises one day he’s going to get a little butterfly tattoo, but she’s monitoring his ink and she can’t see any butterflies. He says one day.

Dustin has come around to our house once a week for the last four years. He does go AWOL, if you like, over the off-season and I’m continually texting him while he’s away.

That can be tough because he’s probably lost or broken 10 phones in my time knowing him. He has a bit of trouble with that.

All we need to do is check in with each other to know he’s OK. I don’t try to box him in with too many rules, but he likes knowing that someone is actively interested in his welfare.

That Japanese restaurant incident at the end of 2015 was just so unfortunate. I’m a person who doesn’t smoke or drink and if I stand up for Dustin it’s because I believe in him.

He’s not a saint and he makes some bad decisions like everyone else. Over the years I’ve seen countless people drink and get into situations they wouldn’t want to.

Dustin would agree it wasn’t perfect him, but he is an understanding, quiet and shy person who doesn’t confront people at all.

My family and I have a special relationship with him, along with his mum, Kathy, his aunties and his dad, Shane.

His dad calls me from New Zealand and talks to me about how he’s going. His dad just wants the best for him and is always so proud of him and really misses going to watch him because he was always there.

When you’re a footballer, you’re on the ground and there’s 100,000 there, but you’re actually only playing for two or three special people every time. You know where they sit, you might glance at them and you’re trying to make them proud and that’s what Dustin does.

Some players you look at and think ‘yeah, he’s lucky to play AFL’. Dustin’s form isn’t based on luck.

Most people would assume otherwise with his casual demeanour and all those tatts, but he spends hours and hours working on his game. If he can’t do something someone else can, he works ferociously on it.

We’ve been working on his future after football, too. He’s come a long way with his keynote speaking and he has a presentation with videos and photos about his journey and making choices in life.

He presents at Cauldfield Grammar and TAC Cup teams and the students and players love him.

He’s doing his Certificate IV in business with a view to getting into the transport industry and it’s thrilling to see someone who didn’t finish high school want to go back and study and put himself to the test.

Dustin is terrific guy who’s very much misunderstood. He doesn’t really care about changing it, though, he is what he is and only those close to him know that.

He allows me and my family to understand him. Being in his inner sanctum is a wonderful thing.

He had an upbringing where he had to work for everything. He played footy at an early age against men, left school early and been thrown into work early.

It’s easy to assume you won’t become a champion player with that background, but against all odds he’s survived and flourished.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-is-a-genuine-guy-whos-just-misunderstood-writes-mark-williams/news-story/c20b6fa0ac59d984f5724c34449e8200