Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165272 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Thought it was from the head clash with Aish?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Must have seen better than me. Hope so. They were bear hugging him all night, was total BS no frees were called for it. Daylight robbery.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Thought it was from the head clash with Aish?

Yep they showed it on the Ch7 pre game show tonight

Also Said he will play next week
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's hope so, but I've heard that before

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was effusive about Martin’s increased maturity.

“There is a perception of him and he had got tattoos and he can look like an angry bugger, but any time I do an appearance people ask what he is like,’’ Cotchin told SEN.

“He can come across as shy, but he is more giving and open to having a conversation and he is one of the first guys I would ask to look after my two kids if there was ever a time I needed one of the boys to look after them.”

Cotchin, adamant all pre-season Martin will re-sign, said the club had already proved past contract issues had not derailed them.

“I don’t think he is the sort of personality where it affects the way he plays,” Cotchin said. “I would like to think we are mentally resilient enough to deal with anything going on.

“There was Rancey’s situation a few years back and other teams have been through it and it hasn’t affected their performance so I don’t think it will affect ours.

“We are looking forward to him playing amazing footy and at some stage be it sooner rather than later or if it does have to be at the end of the season, hopefully he signs on and hopefully it’s for a long period of time.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-expected-to-play-west-coast-despite-being-assessed-for-cheekbone-injury/news-story/9d30ef4d2d14fbc67355018d9f279ef8

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not from a good source tbh but hearing there COULD (only slight chance) be something worse going on than just a shiner. Very very sore lad who might have to get it further assessed...

Should have believed in my source and shared the whole shebang, turns out he was spot on :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Personally I think it would be a good thing.

Robbo made a good point on 360 > the NRL manages these things so much better and respectfully.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin contract talks, Richmond, Trent Cotchin

April 7, 2017
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

The super talented Martin, out of contract at season’s end, looms as one of the big player movement stories of the season, with the star Tiger eligible to become a restricted free agent.

Fox Sports reported in February that Richmond had made Martin a significant long-term contract, believed to be worth close to $800,000 a season.

Cotchin told Fox Sports News that he had been intentional in discussing Martin’s future with the Richmond best and fairest winner in recent times.

The skipper added that he had “full confidence” Martin would remain a Tiger beyond 2017.

“I’m not just Dustin’s captain, I’d like to think he’s one of my best mates. Given that’s the situation, you always talk about it. There’s jokes in the change rooms, there’s serious conversations about where he’s at,” Cotchin told AFL Tonight.

“The reality is he says exactly what he says to me as to what he says to the media. He doesn’t have a lot to say when it’s something that’s a little bit awkward, but his management will deal with it, the club have got fantastic people in place and I have full confidence that he’ll be a Richmond footballer next year.”

Cotchin refuted suggestions that there was a risk taking Martin away from Richmond — the club that has put so much time and resources into him — to a different club environment.

Cotchin added that Martin was in the best off-field shape of his life.

“The way he’s matured throughout his whole career, but realistically the last three or four years — you see a change of the consistency in the performance, but the way he’s living his life off-field is as good as it’s ever been,” Cotchin said.

“I’m really proud that I’ve had a tiny little bit to do with that, along with so many people, whether that be inside out four walls or outside of them.

“To have your dad in another country and not be allowed to come back into the country is challenging for any kid ... it’s sad, but the way he’s handled it and dealt with it has been outstanding.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/trent-cotchin-has-full-confidence-dustin-martin-will-resign-with-richmond/news-story/234fd93fd5b61ddaafe38912f993a0dc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick at arms length on Dustin Martin future (Age)
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
Damien Hardwick at arms length on Dustin Martin future

The Age / AAP
12 April 2017

Every weekend, Dustin Martin's performances seem to increase his wage demands for 2018, but Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is relaxed about the midfielder's future.

Martin, 25, has powered the Tigers to a perfect start to the season with an extraordinary output in three games.

No AFL player has gathered more kicks, while his clearance, inside 50 and goal assist numbers are elite.

Eight goals also have Martin on track for a top-10 finish in the Coleman Medal.

So it's little wonder that attention is focused on the dollars Martin might command in his next pay deal, given he is unsigned from next season.

Another coach might stress about the issue, but Hardwick has given the matter over to football chiefs Dan Richardson and Neil Balme to thrash out a deal with Martin's manager, Ralph Carr.

"Dan and Neil and Ralph are working weekly to make sure we get the best result for our footy club," Hardwick said on Wednesday.

"We're happy with where it's at.

"Dustin has been terrific for us and our footy club has been terrific for Dustin also.

"He's a great guy. He's really grown up as a person and a lot of that has really come down to our football club, the support of his father and the support of his manager.

"As long as he keeps playing great football that for me is the number one thing."

The unresolved pay talks stoush between the league and the players' association means that clubs don't have certainty on their future wage structures.

Hardwick admitted the conflict impacted the club but, again, he's happy to be hands-off on the issue.

"I leave that area up to Dan and Neil and Blair Hartley, our list management team in theory to get the contracts signed," he said.

"I just worry about getting the best out of my 42, 43 players."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/damien-hardwick-at-arms-length-on-dustin-martin-future-20170412-gvjcf3.html

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
I still think we are in a win win situation here.  If he stays that's awesome but if he holds us to ransom then get the 2 first round draft picks and use those 4 picks to bring in 4 youngsters in the top 20. 
We all though losing Lids & Vickery was going to send us down the ladder but this shows that you can lose a great player and still come out on top
However, I believe he will stay. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Losing Martin will be a considerably bigger loss than Deledio, who was starting to be perpetually injured and past his prime and Vickery who was a lazy dud.

I'd try and gazump North for Kelly if he left. Will be the best player in the comp.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

tony_montana

I still think we are in a win win situation here.  If he stays that's awesome but if he holds us to ransom then get the 2 first round draft picks and use those 4 picks to bring in 4 youngsters in the top 20. 
We all though losing Lids & Vickery was going to send us down the ladder but this shows that you can lose a great player and still come out on top

If we were to lose him and I hope we dont - 4 top 20 picks and Fyfe thanks

Dougeytherichmondfan

I understand your point and agree to an extent, but we've got a guy at the peak of his powers and arguably the best player in the comp at this moment. 2 first rounders strikes me as unders, but that's what we would receive as a trade. If he left as a free agent we'd only get 1 compensation pick (first round) after our own first round pick. If we finished 6th(ish) we would likely receive something like pick 13 as compensation (before academy F/S picks). Hardly seems fair.

I don't think we're doing anything wrong here, I think he'll stay. Just gotta ride out the season and ignore the fanfare.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

If we were to lose him and I hope we dont - 4 top 20 picks and Fyfe thanks

If Fyfe was to come to Richmond I'd imagine playing with Martin would be a greater selling point than merely just replacing him.

- Thomas Sowell